Parade of Mummies

JTM45

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is pretty cool but they’re saying the ship that got stuck and the train wreck are the curse of the mummies now.

Kamen_Kaiju

smiling politely as they dream of savage things
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
that is fking cool!

sonar1

Reaction score
Walk like an Egyptian zombie

Olds442

Reaction score
Ramses II

One thing does not look like the other.

dspelman

Reaction score
Ramses II

One thing does not look like the other.
Ramses II was 90 years old when he died, with severe arthritis and dental issues. He was only 25 when he became pharoah. I have a feeling that the left-hand image is more representative of the early years than his last.

Olds442

Reaction score
Ramses II was 90 years old when he died, with severe arthritis and dental issues. He was only 25 when he became pharoah. I have a feeling that the left-hand image is more representative of the early years than his last.
or he just had his name engraved on a bunch of stuff that was laying around. could be that too.

Flinders Petri certainly thought so. he called him "a magnificent egotist."

more things that don't look like the other.

super etching skills, compared to the statue it's carved into. one thing is not like the other.

here's part of an obelisk that was re-purposed into a wall.

seems legit until you get to where you can tell it was carved over an earlier hiroglyph.

great way to claim the greatness of pharoh from Luxor to Abu Sir to Tanis, and others. Ramses son did the same thing, erasing Ramses ii cartouche and having his put there. many kings and pharohs did this throughout history. building on what existed prior and re-purposing it for their needs. we still do this today.

or not, could be that he was just a great builder. i doubt it though. there's another one where his cartouche is written partially over the belt of the statue, not something you'd design that way, but a great way to put your stamp on it.

Uncle Vinnie

Proud Boomer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Still desecration of their corpses and final resting places nothwithstanding the historic and tourist significance.

PeteK

Reaction score
It always tripped me out to think that more time had passed between the construction of the pyramids to when Caesar was looking at them than has passed between Caesar's time and now.

CB91710

Double Platinum Supporting Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
And what I was expecting when JTM45 posted "A Parade of Mummies".....

440424.jpg

dspelman

Reaction score
or he just had his name engraved on a bunch of stuff that was laying around. could be that too.

or not, could be that he was just a great builder. i doubt it though. there's another one where his cartouche is written partially over the belt of the statue, not something you'd design that way, but a great way to put your stamp on it.
Most likely *and* he had his name engraved... He may not have directed it to be engraved in a lot of the places where it showed up; it's likely that this was done to curry favor with him (or his representatives) by the people who did the engraving.

Ramses II made Egypt rich and expansive and was probably its greatest Pharoah. Making it to age 90 in that day was arguably just as great an accomplishment.

Olds442

Reaction score
Most likely *and* he had his name engraved... He may not have directed it to be engraved in a lot of the places where it showed up; it's likely that this was done to curry favor with him (or his representatives) by the people who did the engraving.

Ramses II made Egypt rich and expansive and was probably its greatest Pharoah. Making it to age 90 in that day was arguably just as great an accomplishment.
so it was vandals? that's the first time i've heard it put that way. in a way, it does make sense but wouldn't big R2 have an issue with people messing up the massive projects by carving his name everywhere?

i mean imagine today. some ruler sanctions that some great thing is built, then the unwashed go spray painting his name all over it. i think there'd be some back lash.

does it look like the cartouche was carved after the statue was laying down, to you? i do realize that we've moved that one around a bit. but it's one example of many. rulers throughout history have made claims to things that they didn't build, but inherited or took by force. history tends to repeat itself.

i'm not saying that R2 wasn't a historical bad ass, not at all. i'm simply postulating that he may have been the biggest plagiarist of his time. that's equally possible, imo. explorers like Flinders Petrie made the same claims in the late 1800s.

Last edited:

Latest Threads