Panucci Les Paul - pic heavy

Mr.Paul

Banned
Reaction score
Hey Guys!

I recently purchased my first LP built by a luthier.
This purchase really changed my mind.
I often search the internet for guitars. So I was visiting Gregor Hildens HP (Greg's Guitars - Selected Guitars and Gear) and I noticed a nice Tele built by Panucci Guitars.
In the description he mentioned that he also bought a Les Paul from this builder and that he was so impressed with it, that he wants to keep the guitar for himself. So I started to search the internet for all the information I could get.

First I found the Homepage of Panucci guitars: Panucci Custom Guitars | Masterbuilt for tone
I found the info about the Les Pauls and how he approached the building of the guitars. He is not after an exact copy of the originals, he es more after getting the '59 tone. Well that's what I want too. He did a blindfold test with different guitars using different pickups.
Here's a link to the section on his HP: ’59 Inspired – double blind product test | Panucci Custom Guitars
A very interesting read and a nice video too. I was hooked.
So I took a look at his Les Pauls and noticed that one of the guitars has a spanish cedar body and weighs only 3,4 kg. A true lightweight solid body guitar!
I contacted him and he told me that this was the guitar that Gregor Hilden bought. Damn! It was the one loaded with Alnico II pups, which I also prefer over Alnico V.
So I immediately contacted Gregor Hilden and told him should he ever have thoughts to sell it, then please sell it to me!
After two days he wrote me, that he just has too many guitars and that he is willing to sell it to me. YES!!!!
I phoned him and he told me that this guitar just sounds great. He says it has great bottom end although it's light weight.

What shall I say?! This guitar sounds amazing! And I mean amazing.
The body shape is a little different but I dig it. The bridge finally sits close to the top and not way high like on many modern big G LPs.
The bridge pup is PERFECT! I mean just perfect. Fantastic Classic Rock tones.
The whole guitar sounds very open and airy. The neck pup is maybe a tad too strong but not muddy with good clarity. A very nice middle position tone which is great for blues. You can also get an out of phase sound via a push pull poti.
This makes the guitar very versatile.
I told Angelo (Panucci Guitars) that the neck pup is a tad too strong and he is sending me an Alnico III magnet on the house to try it out. He says he thinks it is great that I experiment with it! Now that is customer support! Thanks once again Angelo!

I had some old 50 bees lying around and installed them and they made the sound a little edgier. Really nice so they stay in the guitar. The notes are very transparent and clear and you can really form the tone with the fingers. This guitar has such a great response to the players input.
The playability is great with no buzz at all and you can get a very low action if you want. Personally I prefer the action higher so that the strings can ring free.
I also removed the covers because I like open coils. I discovered a zebra in the neck and a double white in the bridge! Looks great!

To me it shows that you can get great LP tone with different materials and wood than used by the big G company for extremely high prices.
This guitar sounds as good as a Custom Shop model or an CC model.
I had a Sandy, a Beast and a Perry aged and some R8s and R9s. The Perry aged was really an outstanding guitar and the best I played and heard so far.
None of the other big G models could convince me.
This guitar got me immediately hooked and it costs a third of the price of a R9!
This guitar feels great. Nice nitro finish, no sticky neck, nice decent aging with finish cracks on the back and top.

Please check out this guy and his guitars!

So here are some pics of the building process and the guitar itself. Enjoy.

Mr.Paul

Banned
Reaction score
Received the A3 magnet for the neck.
Put it in and it really did what I hoped for: great balance now between neck and bridge and the neck now does not compress so much anymore!

BTW Angelo mentioned in a side not that he neck is glued with hide glue! :wow:
I couldn't believe that he makes no marketing out of it though we all know that a very big company is making a big fuzz about it. And a lot of people too!

emoney

Reaction score
Good for you. Looks like a lovely guitar!

RedShift

Reaction score
I can't help but notice that the shape of the guitars looks a tiny bit off.. a bit wobbly. Is that the picture or also in the real thing?

Open_Book

Reaction score
I can't help but notice that the shape of the guitars looks a tiny bit off.. a bit wobbly. Is that the picture or also in the real thing?

No. The OP mentioned:

I found the info about the Les Pauls and how he approached the building of the guitars. He is not after an exact copy of the originals, he es more after getting the '59 tone.

The body shape is a little different but I dig it.

Mr.Paul

Banned
Reaction score
Like Open_Book pointed out the design is not a 1:1 copy of the original.

Claymore

Reaction score
Sweet!
I really like how he played with the shape a bit.
Nice burst colours as well.
Glad it sounds and plays as good as they look!

Eraldo

Reaction score
I am desperately looking for a '59 inspired Panucci. I heard them in the many videos that are on internet and they seem to sound magnificently. Also, the low weight is something very rare to find in guitars, so these guitars seem to embody the real spirit of LP 59, unrepeatable sound. So, if anyone sells one, or knows anyone who thinks of selling one please do let me know, for an immediate deal.
Thanks

cmjohnson

Reaction score
In my opinion his LP type guitars are too close to Gibson's trademarked designs (body design in particular) and he should not be advertising them so openly on his website. I would not want him to get in any legal trouble with Gibson, but in my opinion, he's got the bait out! His cutaway shape is virtually identical to the large cutaway of early 80s Gibson LPs.

truckermde

Reaction score
In my opinion his LP type guitars are too close to Gibson's trademarked designs (body design in particular) and he should not be advertising them so openly on his website. I would not want him to get in any legal trouble with Gibson, but in my opinion, he's got the bait out! His cutaway shape is virtually identical to the large cutaway of early 80s Gibson LPs.
I don't think he has to worry about it, because he's in the EU somewhere. Website addy makes me think Netherlands...

I could be, and regularly am, wrong.

Those guitars look badass, though.

:cheers2:

cmjohnson

Reaction score
I have no doubt he makes really good guitars. His asking prices would seem to support that notion.

But don't think Gibson doesn't pursue infringement worldwide. The principle "enforce your IP or lose your exclusive rights to it" is international. They basically HAVE to go after commercial infringement in order to retain their IP rights.

pshupe

Reaction score
Doesn't look like much different to others making LP style guitars. It's the open book head stock and logo that are no nos. Look at Precision, Solo, Pitbull, even Stew Mac has an LP style although their body style has changed quite a bit. They are less likely to pursue outside USA and for small numbers. Look at all the Chibsons available.

Cheers Peter.

redking

Reaction score
Didn't the PRS win in court solidify the precedent that Gibson does not have a trademark over the singlecut body shape as it relates to the Les Paul (ie. only the headstock and their logo)? Gibson's recent activities in the courtroom have been centered on the "V" and the "Explorer" when they went after Dean. They also tried the backdoor move of "licensing" small builders to make V's and Explorers to act as if they did own the trademark and influence the court before the Dean case gets there. "Your Honor, these builders have paid us a license fee to build the V and the Explorer, so it is well recognized that we own the trademark in the industry." :rofl: Clearly manipulative and self serving in my opinion.

cmjohnson

Reaction score
No, upon appeal the courts decided that the LP body shape and the Singlecut body shape are distinctly different and that an average interested person can tell them apart, and thus PRS could resume SC production. The court did not declare Gibson's LP body shape rights invalid.

Gibson has lost some trademarked body shaped rights, in certain countries. One copyright, tradermark, or patent that's valid in one country may not be valid in another. And none are valid in China. They copy whatever they feel like copying in China, and let you fight that battle with Customs.

moreles

Reaction score
Luthiers don't build Les Pauls. Les Pauls are built in a production line, by Gibson. Luthiers, well, guitar-makers really, make copies of Les Pauls. They can be better built, but they're still not Les Pauls. It's not a small distinction.

cmjohnson

Reaction score
True. But at this point I must make mention of the fact that I've been spanked before for saying negative things about people here building close copies of certain trademarked guitar designs. Close enough that trademark infringement has certainly happened. I've seen plenty of people who refuse to show the headstock of their guitar "as photographed" for such reasons.

While I counsel against doing that, I won't criticize the practice because that steps on some important toes. It's a decision each builder must make, and if it leads to getting a certified letter from Gibson's attorneys, that's up to them to decide, and is really not my business to comment on.

I will say that I like to see talented builders step beyond mere copying and try to innovate. And I encourage every builder to try doing that.

Latest Threads