Painting houses sucks!

Ed B

Reaction score
I tried to rent a manlift, but it turns out you need a contractor license to rent aerial equipment, so the best I could do was rent a scaffold. Trouble is, it's not exactly adjustable. You get 5, 10, or 15 feet. 10 isn't enough and 15 is too much. I just about clotheslined myself on the power line coming into my roof because the scaffold is a bit too tall. I don't do super well with heights so working on a shaky scaffold has my ass puckered up most of the time
That's me right there. I have no issue being on top of buildings or any type of secure heights. The second that ladder or scaffold starts moving. I'm out! :laugh2:

Be careful man!

JTM45

Premium Member
Reaction score
It took me an entire summer and then some but I put up vinyl siding on mine.
You’re an amazing woman Rox, is there anything you can’t do? I’ve never seen a woman so damn handy at so many things in my life

PapaSquash

Reaction score
The thing that ticks me off is how real painters make it look so easy.
yup. you don't pay for the hours it takes to paint. you pay for the years it took to learn how

Last edited:

TheX

just some do0d
Premium Member
Reaction score
My latest barnwood makeover for my loft was partially prompted by NOT having to paint, other than the dark brown underneath that was just sloppily done.

Olds442

Reaction score
done it more times than i can recall, and i'm pretty good at it. it's really mostly in the prep.

but i do prefer to call my paint guy when i'm busy or not broke, or both.

Bluesky

Reaction score
My mom paid me like 200 dollars back in 76 to paint the house. Should have taken maybe 2 days and it turned into 2 months. She was not a happy camper
What did she expect for $200!? Lol

I paid a company a few yrs back......like $2000. They ascended on my house with like 6 documented challenged individuals. 2 days, and were clean as a whistle. They even replaced a bush that got accidentally trampled on. One of the better decisions I've made.

Olds442

Reaction score
What did she expect for $200!? Lol

I paid a company a few yrs back......like $2000. They ascended on my house with like 6 documented challenged individuals. 2 days, and were clean as a whistle. They even replaced a bush that got accidentally trampled on. One of the better decisions I've made.
yep, when i have painters, i only ask if they want cold water.

i don't dare mention ice.

Sharky

Reaction score
it's really mostly in the prep.
this! I really hate the prep work, especially masking. The painting itself is easy for me, did it a lot of times and wouldn't pay for it until I'm too old to do it myself.

But I'm retired and have much time on my hand. Still working? No way I'd paint my house on my own

DavGrape

Reaction score
I'd rather help somebody move than paint; but I don't want to do that, either.

Painting projects always sound great at the start; "Oh! I'm gonna do this right! Gonna look sharp!"
First pour of the paint into the pan.... "Ah, shit. Where's that brush? Ah, dammitt... startin' off good!"

Neffco

Premium Member
Reaction score
I always say, “ there’s not enough pot in the world for me to be a painter”. I did do a bit of it on my house this summer. Mostly taping and caulk. I have a friend who sprayed it. And a bass player that did the trim.

Fret Hopper

Reaction score
When in college in Milwaukee I worked for a housepainter during the summers and weekends. Painted somewhere north of 250 homes during that time. Using a brush. On ladders. We would start in the old neighborhoods, and by the middle of summer we were in Mequon, Brookfield, etc Painted houses in the neighborhoods where many of the Brewers lived.

When you know what you are doing it isn't hard. And when it came to exterior trim you learned fast how to "cut" in windows and trim with a sash tool (brush with bristles cut on an angle). Also learned how to carry an extension ladder upright when fully extended-a little tricky in a breeze.

Even painted a house (exterior) in December/January (I forget exactly) during a warm spell. Used Penetrol to get the oil paint to flow properly in the cold weather.

Latest Threads