Painting houses sucks!

PeteK

Reaction score
I took a week off work to paint the exterior of my house. It needed it a few years ago and I didn't do myself any favors waiting until now.

I borrowed a friend's Wagner paint sprayer and it's such a flaming pile of dog shit my neighbors probably think I'm psycho with all the angry yelling I've been doing. I would up buying a Graco sprayer that is working much better.

I'm like 6 days in and still on the front of the house. Very slow going with lots of tedious prep work. I started hitting it with scrapers and huge swaths of paint flaked off so there's been lots of patching and sanding and priming. What a pain in the ass! And I am wore out! I think I understand why quotes for house painting are usually ridiculously expensive!

Anyway, just venting. Hopefully I don't fall off a scaffold and die before this is all done

Tone deaf

Reaction score
Years ago, I bought a Titan paint sprayer.

Regardless of the sprayer, you need to strain the paint before it goes in the gun. I use pantyhose (I usually have a few extra pairs lying around...). The reality is that you can't have any large particles going through the paint gun or you'll be spending the day cleaning the gun and rolling out tons of overspray.

PeteK

Reaction score
Years ago, I bought a Titan paint sprayer.

Regardless of the sprayer, you need to strain the paint before it goes in the gun. I use pantyhose (I usually have a few extra pairs lying around...). The reality is that you can't have any large particles going through the paint gun or you'll be spending the day cleaning the gun and rolling out tons of overspray.
The intake on this one has a pretty tight mesh screen. So far I got away without straining the paint. I did thin it a bit though even though it said it wasn't necessary

electric head

Just passing thru
Premium Member
Reaction score
My mom paid me like 200 dollars back in 76 to paint the house. Should have taken maybe 2 days and it turned into 2 months. She was not a happy camper

rcole_sooner

Reaction score
I hired the outside both times. Even the inside this time. I hate painting.

redcoats1976

Reaction score
gonna do some painting after i retire,but its going to be at my speed,when i feel like it.(never?)

dro

Reaction score
Been painting the inside of my house since we bought the place two years ago. Painted all 3 bedrooms, upstairs bath, and kitchen before we moved in. This spring remodeled and painted master bath, And repainted master bedroom. Then got to the living room and loft. 17 foot vaulted ceilings. Up down Up down. Only two rooms left. Laundry and entry bath. I think they can wait.

Reactions: KTM

Gtarzan81

Reaction score
One of the worst jobs I've had was a short time on a painting crew many years ago.

It's not fun, but I know how.

Ed B

Reaction score
Some things are worth doing, once. There's no way I'd paint a house. I don't get on ladders or scaffolds that are more than 1 story high. :rofl:

My wife loves painting. I don't care for it.

six-string

Reaction score
I just finished painting the main bathroom and will do the master bath today!
Prep work is the most important part of getting a good result when painting.

I've painted more houses, inside and out than I can remember.
Also done a load of commercial paint jobs-apartments, garages, stores, offices....even a new wing on a hospital!
The worst part of painting houses is dealing with the Karens who live there!

Soul Tramp

Speaker Snob
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Sign me up to the "I hate painting" group. And no only do I hate doing it, I'm terrible at it. I do try, but I suck. When I'm finished with a room it looks like Stevie Wonder painted it.

JTM45

Premium Member
Reaction score
Man I hate to paint the house, we recently hired a painter to do the exterior and I’m disappointed in what you get quality wise for the money you Pay. Next time I’ll paint it myself

SteveC

Village Elder
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I'd rather get a root canal, then paint. I'd rather get a root canal without Novocain, then paint exteriors.

We used to do 99% of our home improvements, and we still do a lot of it today. But, I learned over the years to always hire professional painters for jobs lager than a wall, or some touch up work.

No job sucks more than painting, other than drywall. But, my wife loves to do drywall, sooooo.....

jvin248

Reaction score

A friend of mine rented a cherry picker machine to do all the second story+ of his house and he said it was fantastic. Did that over one weekend then did all the first story with ladders. Machine rental was cheap compared to the painting quotes he had been given.

After setup, painting is a bit like Zen Yoga, you can think about other things.

Tone deaf

Reaction score
The intake on this one has a pretty tight mesh screen. So far I got away without straining the paint. I did thin it a bit though even though it said it wasn't necessary
I add Floetrol to it, too.

PeteK

Reaction score
I tried to rent a manlift, but it turns out you need a contractor license to rent aerial equipment, so the best I could do was rent a scaffold. Trouble is, it's not exactly adjustable. You get 5, 10, or 15 feet. 10 isn't enough and 15 is too much. I just about clotheslined myself on the power line coming into my roof because the scaffold is a bit too tall. I don't do super well with heights so working on a shaky scaffold has my ass puckered up most of the time

Latest Threads