Painting a Faded Les Paul

Christosterone

Premium Member
Reaction score
That’s a gorgeous guitar.

Polish it a bunch and it will get super shiny...

I can’t remember but someone on MLP got a goldtop faded to be mirror gloss with polish only...
Wish my brain would recall the thread...

-Chris

judson

Reaction score
lol ...welcome to MLP we have alot of opinions...dont take it too serious

you wanna spray it to make it shiny go for it ..........but i would just play the hell out of it....

that looks like a great deal ...congrats enjoy it...or just sell it to me for $1,200...bend my arm to $1500 :rofl:

OH WAIT...i had to edit this....we saw your ugly ass toes in one of the pics, that is a deduction at MLP....so now I can only give you $1,000 since the" toes in the pic fine" (read forum rules) gets imposed.... :run:

Last edited:

Gibsonrocknroll

Premium Member
Reaction score
I have two of the original 2005 faded models. They sound and play great. I will never part with them. I polished mine with virtuoso and it gave it that 59 look. I would leave it alone.

sonar

Reaction score
It's a maple top. Cool. If you wanted to spray the top you can get away without filler as maple has a pretty tight grain. Done right it'll look great.

Another Virtuoso treatment will give it a little more depth. Then I'd wait several months and do another treatment. After the third treatment it becomes superfluous. Fwiw, I did the VT thing (three treatments over a couple years) almost ten years ago and the guitar top looks like a really cool, old Les Paul top.

Gibsonrocknroll

Premium Member
Reaction score
Another Virtuoso treatment will give it a little more depth. Then I'd wait several months and do another treatment. After the third treatment it becomes superfluous. Fwiw, I did the VT thing (three treatments over a couple years) almost ten years ago and the guitar top looks like a really cool, old Les Paul top.
This.

CerebralGasket

Reaction score
Very nice top you have on your Les Paul Faded.

Since your Les Paul Faded has a maple cap, the grain is much tighter than having a mahogany slab with open grain as found on a Les Paul Special Faded. I agree with others who recommend to apply several coats of wax over time to build it up to a smoother finish.

I sent one of my SG Special Faded out for a pro refinish. It was stripped down to bare wood, grain filled, and refinished to an Aged TV White with the grain visible through the color, but smooth. It was finished with Poly instead of Nitro. The smooth refinish along with the ebony fingerboard makes it a treat to play.

Last edited:

DonP

Reaction score
Very nice plain top you have on your Les Paul Faded.

Since your Les Paul Faded has a maple cap, the grain is much tighter than having a mahogany slab with open grain as found on a Les Paul Special Faded. I agree with others who recommend to apply several coats of wax over time to build it up to a smoother finish.

I sent one of my SG Special Faded out for a pro refinish. It was stripped down to bare wood, grain filled, and refinished to an Aged TV White with the grain visible through the color, but smooth. It was finished with Poly instead of Nitro. The smooth refinish along with the ebony fingerboard makes it a treat to play.

Very nice.

jstarr823

Starr Guitar Works
Premium Member
Reaction score
Ask for opinions, then literally says f"ck you" to those that said to sell it. Calls the rest of us whiners and says we've got no balls. What we do have is common sense. Don't come asking for opinions then get butthurt when you don't hear what you want. Go ahead... Ruin a perfectly fine guitar. I'll enjoy the karma show.

DonP

Reaction score
Ask for opinions, then literally says f"ck you" to those that said to sell it. Calls the rest of us whiners and says we've got no balls. What we do have is common sense. Don't come asking for opinions then get butthurt when you don't hear what you want. Go ahead... Ruin a perfectly fine guitar. I'll enjoy the karma show.

Fair enough.

I went back and read what I originally posted and most people after that were helpful, so I take back the whiners statement. And those who said sell it had good intentions, so I'll take back the FU as well.

But I do remember reading thread either here or on the LPF where people sprayed their fadeds and had good results. I was hoping to find one of those with the details on how they did it.

Hatefulsob

Reaction score
Perhaps if your faded looked like sh?t folks here would be suggesting that you spray it? But it looks great as it is, so you got what I’d call very good advice to leave as it is. Cool looking LP, don’t F with it.

NINFNM

Reaction score
A few layers of clear nitro, even with spray cans, should give you great results. It's not that tricky

Jake_Jakerson

Reaction score
I wouldn't suggest doing it yourself! I'd send it off to a respectable person (don't send it to someone who recommends it as I haven't gotten my 1974 Les Paul Custom back in about 2 years :( ) and have them do it professionally! Does looks great as is, but i understand why, I'm not a fan of faded tops either!!!

ToneasaurusRex

Reaction score
A few layers of clear nitro, even with spray cans, should give you great results. It's not that tricky
This right here is true. As always, carefully prepping it is key for success. Naphtha wipe, light sanding, masking.

But I'm with those who say "leave it alone." I've got a Faded and the finish is the whole raison d'etre for this guitar.

Peace

Rex