Painting a Faded Les Paul

DonP

Reaction score
i have an L&M 2012 Faded Les Paul. I hate faded Les Pauls, but this one cost me about $1000 shipped and has a killer vintage burst in lemon drop.

I have done the Virtuoso clean and polish to get it somewhat shiny, but now I'm thinking of giving it a thin coat of aged clear lacquer I picked up from StewMac.

Just wondering if anyone has done this and have any tips. I'd clear the finish with naptha, maybe sand it lightly with 320 grit dipped in naptha.

Thoughts?

Benniator

Reaction score
My tip would be to take it to a luthier if you feel you have to alter the finish, unless you've either done it before or you're ok with possibly ruining the burst.

Reactions: Who

Mick Weiss

Reaction score
Can you see the wood grain thru the Finish? If so you'll need some kind of filler before you clear coat if you want it smooth...

judson

Reaction score
:photos:and then we will give you the verdict of leaving it or going for it without care of the result....

i am always on the side of do whatever you want to any guitar if you want to change or learn something...the last one i stripped and finished now gets played almost every day...

before that it sat in the case, do what inspires you to play it more

Cjsinla

Premium Member
Reaction score
i have an L&M 2012 Faded Les Paul. I hate faded Les Pauls, but this one cost me about $1000 shipped and has a killer vintage burst in lemon drop.

I have done the Virtuoso clean and polish to get it somewhat shiny, but now I'm thinking of giving it a thin coat of aged clear lacquer I picked up from StewMac.

Just wondering if anyone has done this and have any tips. I'd clear the finish with naptha, maybe sand it lightly with 320 grit dipped in naptha.

Thoughts?
320 grit sounds extreme. I would use 800 to wet sand on the top if you’re trying to preserve what’s on the top and just clean it. Clear nitro would probably work on the maple top without filler, maple has a very tight grain. If the mahogany has pores that show, a nitro clear coat will not cover those without filler.

edselman

Reaction score
You’ll have to get the Virtuoso off or the nitro probably won’t stick.

Reactions: Who

smk506

Reaction score
Sounds like you got a great deal so I would probably sell it at a profit and just buy one you actually like. Or just lost an ad here looking to trade. People love the faded finish, you would probably get a bite or two.

Malchik

Reaction score
Just throw it out now. You're going to make it look worse than it already does stock. All these threads turn out that way.

DonP

Reaction score
I don't know why I should post pictures to a bunch of whiners. You guys have no balls. I've read plenty of threads where a guy just used Deft clear lacquer with great results on Fadeds.

Yes, it sports USA gold Grovers, zebra Rebel Yells under the covers. These were plain tops made for L&M. The flames are 3D just like on my CR8.

All I want to do is all a thin layer of aged clear gloss to put a little more protection on it. It isn't necessarily a must do.

And FU to all those who said to sell it. This is one of my favorite LP's in my stable of 7. It's got the right look, the right tone, feels great (neck not too fat or thin).

NorlinBlackBeauty

Reaction score

Thoughts?
Keep at it with the Virtuoso regimen, or take it to a pro. Looks pretty damn good now!

Are you taking off the hardware when polishing?

LocoTex

Reaction score
I would honestly not do anything to that guitar, but it's yours and you can do as you like. Just study all you can about the process and go very carefully and very slowly.

I hope you make the right decision for you.

joedonner2001

Reaction score
Polish it up if you have to. But I'd stop there. It looks fine - actually, it looks pretty awesome. I don't see any problem here.

Cjsinla

Premium Member
Reaction score
Not sure that DEFT is lacquer but any spray nitro on that top would be easy. I’ve done whole guitar bodies in a weekend.

DonP

Reaction score
I only did the Virtuoso clean and polish one time.

I'll just leave it as is. I just got the idea because I bought some paint from StewMac for doing necks, and figured what the heck.