Painted on serial Number on a 60s reissue ?

D Rhinehart

Reaction score
Trying to date a Les PaulI just traded for , I know the 60s reissue guitars have painted serial numbers on them and even the hang tags all have the same serial number. I went to Gibson dater and they didn't recognize the number ? Any ideas on year and possible worth ?
Thanks
OiaLJkM.jpg
GuiM09B.jpg
jP5aZnK.jpg
mOFq3vi.jpg
GuPAyMp.jpg

D Rhinehart

Reaction score
Here's a pic of the hang tag and other paperwork included
ipaV4Ah.jpg

MrWrong

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
That's a 2003 les Paul Classic, note the Classic name on the headstock. It's not a reissue at all, and there is nothing really the serial number can tell you except the year.

here's the sn description from gibson for this model

Les Paul Classic: This model features an ink stamped serial number with no "MADE IN USA" (just as we used on the original 1952-1960 Les Pauls). Most will be 5 to 6 digits in length, but the earliest examples feature 4 digit serial numbers. There should be a space after the 1st digit with the 4 and 5 digit serial numbers, and no space with the 6 digit numbers.

The 1st digit indicates the year of manufacture for the 4 & 5 digit serial numbers, these were used from 1989-1999. The 1st and 2nd indicate the year of manufacture for the 6 digit serial numbers which we've been using since 2000.

Examples -
9 xxx = 1989 (4 digit number beginning with "9" used only in 1989)
0 xxxx = 1990
9 xxxx = 1999
00xxxx = 2000
05xxxx = 2005

Last edited:

D Rhinehart

Reaction score
Interesting , why the painted numbers instead of the more traditional stamped ?

ARandall

Reaction score
If we're talking traditional, ink serials preadated stamped ones by a long way in Gibson history. This is why every reissue R2-R0 has the vintage accurate ink serial numbers.

The Classic originally was released before the custom shop started. It was a 'reissue light', which was eventually watered down once the legit reissues came about. The stamp (an incorrect font/size compared to vintage) stayed.

Slashperryburst

Reaction score
Also , any idea of what it might be worth
Thanks

If I'm not mistaken, the classics were a few hundred cheaper than the standards back then, so I'd look to see what the standards from that period are going for and knock a few hundred off that. I'd say you could probably get away with charging the same as it is a nice three pickup guitar and the construction is the same as a standard, but those inlays... They were unpopular then and they're unpopular now. I actually saw a few guys change them. I'm sure there'll be a thread or two on the subject on this forum if you search hard enough. The pickups are also less popular than the burstbuckers/57classics used in the standards back then, but they are still nice pickups. Gibson tended to put them in their cheaper models (sg special, lp classic, explorer and V) so make of that what you will.

The other difference between classics and standards of that era is the maple top. The burst standards had flame maple, but all classics were plaintops. Of course, that is irrelevant in your case.

D Rhinehart

Reaction score
If we're talking traditional, ink serials preadated stamped ones by a long way in Gibson history. This is why every reissue R2-R0 has the vintage accurate ink serial numbers.

The Classic originally was released before the custom shop started. It was a 'reissue light', which was eventually watered down once the legit reissues came about. The stamp (an incorrect font/size compared to vintage) stayed.
I was referring more to the comment that it's NOT a reissue , so my question was why does it have the painted instead of the stamp
Thanks for the reply

ARandall

Reaction score
Because it was released before the reissues started as a reissue light - there were deliberate attempts to make it more vintage accurate. It was the closest thing at the time.

D Rhinehart

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the info , I appreciate it ! now i'll clean it up and put it up for sale .

Left Paw

Reaction score
The serial number isn't painted on, its a stamp. Just a different, less accurate, stamp and not anything like the originals or reissues. But still an ink stamped number.

Caretaker

Reaction score
I`ve never seen one with 3 pickups.
Saying that, you may want to investigate more. If it has been added, some would consider it an upgrade, some an unwanted alteration.

Slashperryburst

Reaction score
I`ve never seen one with 3 pickups.
Saying that, you may want to investigate more. If it has been added, some would consider it an upgrade, some an unwanted alteration.

As you can see from chasenblues' post below, there were standard models in three pickup configuration. Still, it might be in op's best interest to check the routing. It's possible that the original owner did this himself after failing to find the three pickup model. Check that the routing is good, because if it was done after the fact and if the routing was poorly done, the next owner of the guitar might freak out and return it/shake op down for a partial refund.

The dreaded snot green inlays..

When I bought my 2003 standard, I played a bunch of standards and classics that day. I had narrowed it down to my standard and a particularly nice classic. I ended up choosing the standard because the inlays on the classic were horrible. Even worse than the one you pictured. They were bright yellow.

Cjsinla

Reaction score
I was referring more to the comment that it's NOT a reissue , so my question was why does it have the painted instead of the stamp
Thanks for the reply
If it is really painted and not stamped, that might be a problem. What makes you think it’s paint and not a stamp?

gcbike

Reaction score
They made those classics in 2 and 3 pickup version.

Latest Threads