PAINT, OR NOT TO PAINT

brentrocks

Guitar Hack
Premium Member
Reaction score
I purchased this Korina husk from a well known Luthier in East MI. Its currently raw wood, ready for finish.

I have never "painted" a guitar before. I dont have a spray booth. I would have to do the painting in my garage. If i were to attempt to finish this husk, I would have to do it with Graceys Nitro in a can. I want to do it in a light amber tint.

From the research I've done so far, I would have to buy....

2 cans of sealer.....$40
2 cans of amber.....$40
3 cans of clear........$60
1 can of black........$20
Plus multiple pieces of sandpaper and masking tape.

Another big problem is that i dont have a buffing wheel. I could probably buff it with a buffing wheel attached to my cordless drill...which i have done before to buff out haze and light scratches on other guitars in the past.

OR

I could just pay to have it finished!!!!

WHAT WOULD YOU DO????

s-l1600 (1) by brent HENDERSON, on Flickr

s-l1600 (2) by brent HENDERSON, on Flickr

s-l1600 (3) by brent HENDERSON, on Flickr

s-l1600 (4) by brent HENDERSON, on Flickr

s-l1600 (5) by brent HENDERSON, on Flickr

s-l1600 by brent HENDERSON, on Flickr

Roxy13

Reaction score
A lot of people don't have a buffing wheel. Being a slab body polishing with foam pads on a drill should be fine. I say go for it!

Caretaker

Reaction score
Rattle cans are always an issue.
If not using a spray gun or at least an aerosol can with cup attatchment and mixing your color with tints and clear nitro I would pay for a pro finish(lays in Ohio)

kakerlak

Reaction score
If it were mine, I'd pick up some clear and black gloss lacquer from somewhere like Ace. Most places have at least clear, black, and white actual lacquer in rattle cans. It may be acrylic lacquer, rather than nitro, but I'm not sniffing the cork that hard. If it hasn't been grain-filled, then figure out what you want to do there, but you don't want to spray lacquer over an unfilled porous wood or you'll have to spray a million coats to bring it level and spend hours sanding down the resultant orange peel.

Anyway, go thin and patient with your coats, avoiding windy or overly humid days outside and you can build up a reasonably smooth finish. Just accept and be willing to spend a fair bit of time wet sanding it down smooth and you can get a great looking finish. Use blocks to sand flat surface and go slow and careful around corners and pointy bits -- it's sooooo easy to accidentally sand through your finish in those spots.

I'd do that or pay for a pro job but I think investing over $100 in supplies for a first time/home job is foolish.

brentrocks

Guitar Hack
Premium Member
Reaction score
I have one quote to finish it in nitro for $500. That includes Vintage tinted color and black shot on the front of the peg head.....and buffed.

judson

Reaction score
your choice really....

i would finish myself in whatever i felt confident of or try your skill at something new and see how it turns out....thats the best fun of it somedays...unless you bought it not to learn or test yourself and would prefer to have someone do it for you...

there is no wrong answer

i would try a true oil finish as i bought some but have not tired it yet on any husk...

good luck!

hbucker

Reaction score
With the true oil idea, I've finished a couple of guitars with Tung Oil and had good results. It has a level of protection and water resistance without losing the fundamental feel of the wood. More coats leaves more of a finished look, but it will never be smooth and glossy like nitro or poly.

Lacquer is a fickle mistress. If you udon't have much/any experience with it, I would recommend you do some practice/experimenting with it before you start on your guitar. Patience is a must in letting it set up and harden.

Good luck!

Latest Threads