Super Mod
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Well, he does...

:laugh2:

Maynar

You reached for the secret too soon
Reaction score
This topic made the six o'clock news tonight.

Kinda surprised me a little. Been a non-issue for how many decades?

Not sure how I feel about it all.

Caleb

Platinum Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Everyone? Speak for yourself

I don't believe Iommi ever ripped off a bunch of bands.

I meant in the context of blues based music as has been mentioned by others here. Musicians "borrow" riffs, progressions, etc all the time. Always have, always will.

MUSTANGCAT

Reaction score
I feel like I'm reading the diary of a 13 year old who just had her first period, as I cringe while skimming over these posts on this thread! To my dumb ass ears "Taurus" sounds like a totally different song from "Stairway to Heaven." There have been a couple of posters I agree with as well. You can tell all the LZ haters are coming out of their "Slash" holes to share the hate here!

peach64

Reaction score
Even if Page consciously knew the Spirit tune Taurus, he had the where with all to incorporate it into an all-time epic, something Spirit were incapable of, otherwise they would've done it originally.

Now as the lawsuit goes…if Vegas were to post odds or London for that matter, my money will be on Zep, not because they could be exonerated but the financial ramifications…Warner Bros ain't letting this cash cow go anytime soon. They have the top lawyers in the world….out of court settlement…we'll never hear of this again.

Hopefully this fires up Page for brand new killer material. Pressure is on to deliver in spades, the other two have in their solo careers.

nick1962

Reaction score
Without the controversy caused by Page and others, the Blues greats would most likely still be unheard of. They would have no recognition, no fame, no money. Nothing. I've always found it interesting that it was the British bands who took the great Blues masters to another level while American bands stagnated. Bands like LZ and The Animals did more for those great artists than any American artist or company ever did. They shouldn't be demonized for what they did, they should be applauded and thanked.

Buddy Guy recently commented in Guitarist magazine that guys like him owed the likes of the Stones for popularising the Blues in Europe and elsewhere.

BuzzHaze

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Page is on Jimmy Fallon tonight. It might come up since it's making news everywhere.

madaxeman

Reaction score
Everyone? Speak for yourself

I don't believe Iommi ever ripped off a bunch of bands.

As much as I love Sabbath, they did rip off bits from other bands. The riff to Paranoid is lifted from Zeppelin (Dazed and Confused). Ozzy said in interview that he never liked Paranoid at first cause it was a rip-off of Led Zeppelin.

Spurholder

Reaction score
Page is on Jimmy Fallon tonight. It might come up since it's making news everywhere.

Doubt it, since this is an actual lawsuit now, and whatever comes out of his mouth WILL be used against him in court.

Hell, the musical guest tonight is Barry Gibb. They both started with skiffle -who knows? Maybe they'll play a song together...like this:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKUyHpoWnT4]Jimmy Page plays skiffle REAL KOOL..14 Years old..1957 - YouTube[/ame]

hecube

Reaction score
Anyone ever read John Paul Jones' account of how he came by the riff of "Black dog"?

Taking inspiration from somebody else's work and make it into something else is a time-honored tradition.

This is a heist, pure and simple.

hecube

Reaction score
This song in particular

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBuoJLncMnM]Howlin' Wolf - Smokestack Lightnin' (electric version) - YouTube[/ame]

HenryHill

Reaction score
Just deserts, The Crossroads would be paved in gold. :laugh2:

DADGAD

Reaction score
I'll sue you if you arpeggiate a D chord. I meant it! You better have a good lawyer in 2054!

Latest Threads