PAFs for sale near me. PAF gurus, check it out, please.

RAG7890

Reaction score
I'd get James to check the pics. @cooljuk

Also, how much are they selling for, that is a critical piece of information to help answer your question?

Pics could be better. I'll check & comment tonight.

Covers do not look quite right to me for old PAF's but that doesn't matter much if the PU's are right & the price is fair.

The 3 Ohms reading is a crappy pic & at that level obviously will need to be addressed / repaired. Again James can help.

All comes down to price really if the PU's are legit.

:cheers2:

Mike Irvin

Premium Member
Reaction score
Is that common to have different style bracket leg extensions like that? One is squared off, and the other with the corners cut. Admittedly, I know very little about the fine points of PAF's.

But looking in the background of his pics, it appears this guy parts out a LOT of guitars! I see bags full of pots, tuners, etc.

Did he say what these came out of?

mdubya

Reaction score
They are miles from being pristine if they are indeed original. They will never command top dollar for that reason, imho.

The wire looks right to this complete amateur.

I am guessing the low ohms pickup is repairable.

Subscirbed!

RAG7890

Reaction score
Is this by any chance Eddie Vegas or similar?

If it is caveat emptor.

Last edited:

charlie chitlins

Reaction score
It's a guy who recently stumbled on an old basket case and doesn't want to try to resurrect it.
His asking price has quickly dropped from 2500 to 1800.

RAG7890

Reaction score
It's a guy who recently stumbled on an old basket case and doesn't want to try to resurrect it.
His asking price has quickly dropped from 2500 to 1800.
$1,800 is doable provided they are legit & James can sort the issues out for you.

Price for Double Black PAF’s would typically be around the 4,500 - 5,500 depending on how clean, original, untouched Covers, History etc. etc.

We’ll wait to see what James thinks.

cooljuk

Transducer Producer
Premium Member
Reaction score
  • One coil is wound with red poly wire.
  • Both hookup leads are 4 plait braid and white plastic insulated.
  • There's solder and tape in places typical of 70's Gibson humbuckers.
  • The two slotted / two Philips brass screws per pickup could be an indicator that someone slapped multiple pickup parts together to make this set.
  • They have obviously both been taken fully apart to have the hookup leads replaced.
  • I'm not confident either way on the covers from those photos. If they are real, there's some value, but they are definitely not original to the gold pole screws.

I wouldn't pay anything for them. There could be some original parts, but they are in terrible condition, unless the covers are real and I'm not confident in that. In any case, I don't generally trust someone selling these so I wouldn't send a penny, myself.

yamariv

Reaction score
  • One coil is wound with red poly wire.
  • Both hookup leads are 4 plait braid and white plastic insulated.
  • There's solder and tape in places typical of 70's Gibson humbuckers.
  • The two slotted / two Philips brass screws per pickup could be an indicator that someone slapped multiple pickup parts together to make this set.
  • They have obviously both been taken fully apart to have the hookup leads replaced.
  • I'm not confident either way on the covers from those photos. If they are real, there's some value, but they are definitely not original to the gold pole screws.

I wouldn't pay anything for them. There could be some original parts, but they are in terrible condition, unless the covers are real and I'm not confident in that. In any case, I don't generally trust someone selling these so I wouldn't send a penny, myself.
James to the rescue again, we appreciate all you do on this forum James!! :dude:

none2low

Reaction score
You're scaring me James!!

I see one of the leads appears to have been changed, the L tooling marks on the feet do look off, but I've always found those hard to judge in pictures alone (unless they are extremely clear)

The tape? I see what looks to be newer tape over the coil leads, but I'm guilty of having done that myself on exposed coils before. Can't see the coil wraps clearly enough to make a judgement myself.

To my eye the pat# sticker looks ok, bobbins look good. Bobbin screws, pole pieces/slugs look ok.

I don't want to come across as doubting you, as you have way more hands on experience with these things than I ever will, but damn these would have fooled me based on the pictures.

cooljuk

Transducer Producer
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm not quick to call "fake", as I've seen many do that to legit pickups over some detail they just hadn't encountered yet or something that doesn't show up well in photos.

I don't think decals are necessarily a good way to judge authenticity of a vintage Gibson pickup, anymore. ...unless the decal is just wrong, then obviously that's a flag. It's not hard to make a "right" decal, though. All the materials are available and the process is simple and, if done right, gives all the variances and such of the originals.

I'm not saying there's no Gibson parts in the second set, either, but they are definitely not original. Maybe I should have said "highly questionable and absolutely unoriginal." The non-Gibson hookup lead shows the pickup has been taken fully apart. The solder at the hookup lead entry hole is typical of later T-Tops but not PAFs / PAT #s. The newer tape is a red flag. None of that being disclosed and the talk about "2nd generation PAF" etc. from a seller with no feedback or other items for sale, as well as the questionable L-marks and feet, send me running.

The first set is REALLY BAD, though. Just wrong in numerous ways.

none2low

Reaction score
I agree with everything you've stated and can't thank you enough for the additional info.

It's a great resource to have winders/builders such as yourself on the forum and a great reminder to have a second set of eyes looking over any potential "vintage" purchase.

I firmly believe that we can never stop learning enough, especially as the "fakes" continue to become more and more realistic looking at first, and sometimes, even second glance.

And yes, the first set is BAD. But, I'd probably be guilty of tossing the guy $100 just to see if anything was real. I'm a glutton for punishment some times.

Last edited:

Latest Threads