PAF-style pickup demo vids

MCT

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Over the past few months, I’ve amassed a few incredible PAF-style pickups, and decided to make brief demo videos on YT. I have no idea how helpful these are but, when I was trying to decide on pickups, I wished there were more sample videos available...so this is my tiny effort to help anyone in the same position.

https://youtu.be/iRNYPoIZ9Kg

https://youtu.be/sTaRDKnSzKc

More to come.

MCT

Reaction score
Thanks. Which one is your fav?
Tough call - I think I’d have to go with the Sigil Holy Grail ‘59 LTD with NOS wire from 1959...they have a slight airiness that is absent from the others. It’s subtle (and probably better heard in the room than on an iPhone video, though hearing them on 1080p helps) but it’s there.

I have a set of the ‘58 LTDs that are awaiting their host guitar, so that video is still to come. As are videos of Doyle’s Coil True Coils, Tyson Tone Precious and Grace and Deacons, and Mojotone Premium A2 PAF clones, among others.

bassmannlespaulman

Reaction score
Tough call - I think I’d have to go with the Sigil Holy Grail ‘59 LTD with NOS wire from 1959...they have a slight airiness that is absent from the others. It’s subtle (and probably better heard in the room than on an iPhone video, though hearing them on 1080p helps) but it’s there.

I have a set of the ‘58 LTDs that are awaiting their host guitar, so that video is still to come. As are videos of Doyle’s Coil True Coils, Tyson Tone Precious and Grace and Deacons, and Mojotone Premium A2 PAF clones, among others.

What do you think of the doyle tru coils?

bassmannlespaulman

Reaction score

I love them- nice and articulate, but with that tiny bit of compression present in most recordings of PAFs that I hear. They’re up there with the Sigils in my book.

How are those Flametones?

I don't know yet lol. I gave them to my guitar tech last week and he said he'd install them in about 2 to 3 weeks lol. With this pandemic everybody is backed up and delayed. But yeah I'll find out how the flametone 59, kloppman hb59 and Monty PAF all sound sooner or later

bassmannlespaulman

Reaction score

I love them- nice and articulate, but with that tiny bit of compression present in most recordings of PAFs that I hear. They’re up there with the Sigils in my book.

How are those Flametones?

I was told doyle tru coils were very similar to the VIP lover's i got in my es 339. I was very close to getting doyle's cause that's what i originally wanted. But at the time i was impatient about saving up for it and just wanted to get the project over with. But despite it being a impatience thing im happy with the VIP lovers..... they're very good

MCT

Reaction score
I was told doyle tru coils were very similar to the VIP lover's i got in my es 339. I was very close to getting doyle's cause that's what i originally wanted. But at the time i was impatient about saving up for it and just wanted to get the project over with. But despite it being a impatience thing im happy with the VIP lovers..... they're very good
...they certainly sound very good....but are not easy to get anymore!

Last edited:

AJK1

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Over the past few months, I’ve amassed a few incredible PAF-style pickups, and decided to make brief demo videos on YT. I have no idea how helpful these are but, when I was trying to decide on pickups, I wished there were more sample videos available...so this is my tiny effort to help anyone in the same position.

https://youtu.be/iRNYPoIZ9Kg

https://youtu.be/sTaRDKnSzKc

More to come.
Are they all unpotted ?

Last edited:

MCT

Reaction score
Really nice playing, man.
Thanks! Credit should also go to the quality of the amp and attenuator for such incredible quality sound that sound great even on an iPhone camera

MiniB

Reaction score
Thanks! Credit should also go to the quality of the amp and attenuator for such incredible quality sound that sound great even on an iPhone camera
Was going to ask you about the amp, but I see it's a HiWatt type with an attenuator...very cool. Actually makes me interested in that style of amp now. Has a very interesting round and woody clean and transition into drive.

MCT

Reaction score
Was going to ask you about the amp, but I see it's a HiWatt type with an attenuator...very cool. Actually makes me interested in that style of amp now. Has a very interesting round and woody clean and transition into drive.
It’s one of the biggest misconceptions about Hiwatts- that they’re clean machines without overdrive. Total nonsense, they overdrive divinely- just check out Live at Leeds. That’s Pete with P-90s, straight into a CP circuit Hiwatt, with the occasional Superfuzz for solos.

MiniB

Reaction score
It’s one of the biggest misconceptions about Hiwatts- that they’re clean machines without overdrive. Total nonsense, they overdrive divinely- just check out Live at Leeds. That’s Pete with P-90s, straight into a CP circuit Hiwatt, with the occasional Superfuzz for solos.
The more I've listened to them, the more I've appreciated that edge of having the overdrive right there on tap. It's like a 'clean' that sounds like it's about to turn into a werewolf. I was actually lookig into getting an older VHT PIttBull combo a while back, if tat can even do that.

My only concern is that what's the attack like, is there some sag/bounce to it or is it really immediate?

MCT

Reaction score
The more I've listened to them, the more I've appreciated that edge of having the overdrive right there on tap. It's like a 'clean' that sounds like it's about to turn into a werewolf. I was actually lookig into getting an older VHT PIttBull combo a while back, if tat can even do that.

My only concern is that what's the attack like, is there some sag/bounce to it or is it really immediate?
Extremely immediate. It’s right there hitting you in the gut the moment you play a note. Insanely powerful, but also not very forgiving, and if you play sloppily, it will expose every mistake you make. But in the end, I kinda like that- forces you focus on what you’re doing and makes you a better player.

And you’ll never ever get lost in the mix when playing in a band.

MiniB

Reaction score
Extremely immediate. It’s right there hitting you in the gut the moment you play a note. Insanely powerful, but also not very forgiving, and if you play sloppily, it will expose every mistake you make. But in the end, I kinda like that- forces you focus on what you’re doing and makes you a better player.

And you’ll never ever get lost in the mix when playing in a band.
Good to know, I'm going to see if I can give one a try. Thanks.

somebodyelseuk

Reaction score
Only watched a couple of clips.
Excellant work. The majority of Les Paul Reissue and PAF repro demos are done on what I call 'Thin Lizzy' settings, probably why most of the internet thinks their 200 quid POS Copy is as good as an R9.
If you've not stumbled across them - I'd be surprised if you haven't seen them - search Doug and Pat Show.
Thanks for using sensible, relevant settings. Not perfect, but better than most.