PAF replica question

Olaf Ragnarson

Reaction score
Hello friends. Now there are a lot of different PAF replicas on the market. Which one does he prefer? What do you advise? Maybe the manufacturers of such replicas were compared. There are a lot of videos on YouTube, but I want to know the opinion of users. Or maybe any of you have compared replicas with original vintage PAFs?

elephantrider

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've tried two sets of paf replicas. blizzard of 59 set and bare knuckle mule set. I like both but the mule sounds better, to me. the blizzards do rock though.

ARandall

Reaction score
There are so many good pickups because there are so many slightly different guitars.
I have probably about 15 different sets by now, and they have now found their final homes because I've swapped them between the guitars I have enough times to find the one host they suit best in.

Elmore

Reaction score
Seymour Duncan Whole Lotta Humbucker for me. I like the agggression of the rough cast A5.

TXOldRedRocker

Tech pays the bills. Not a fan of tech.
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like @ARandall 's answer. Personally, I like the Fralin Pure PAF's in a non-weight relieved maple top LP. In a modern weight relieved, I like Gibson's Burstbucker Pro's. I have guitars with Seymour Duncan pups, but they're all aggressive, not PAF style.

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is no answer to this question, as alluded to by ARandall, he has 15 different sets, they all have virtues I imagine. I stuck a set of Wizz beano pafs in my 2020 R0, My ears really couldn’t tell much difference if I’m honest. Maybe because both sets were unpotted? I dunno, so I stuck the lower dc resistance of the two wizz pafs in my R8 as it’s bridge was a similar DC reading as the cream beano. More as a point of reference than anything else. If I get a few more mile in playing, my ears might start to tune into the subtleties of the different winders. I have emailed Mr SD about a set of his, not sure what the process is ref waiting times, not heard back from him yet. I fancy trying two other sets, am over the pond set and the throwbacks, having four sets to play with will keep me amused for a while.

cooljuk

Transducer Producer
Reaction score

Ya, double creams can be real nice!

lofj1xtatoqyjoua0xnc.jpg

Skit

Witch Doctor
Reaction score
There are a lot of winders who make great sounding PAF style pickups. Each set will sound different in a different guitar. So if you try a set and they dont seem to be the sound you're looking for try a different set or a different guitar. It can be quite the rabbit hole.

AJK1

Reaction score
Hello friends. Now there are a lot of different PAF replicas on the market. Which one does he prefer? What do you advise? Maybe the manufacturers of such replicas were compared. There are a lot of videos on YouTube, but I want to know the opinion of users. Or maybe any of you have compared replicas with original vintage PAFs?
It would be nice to know what guitar they are going in and what amp you play through

pmasry

Reaction score
I'm a first timer but had to reply. I'm a 64 yearold les paul guy. i,ve been using the early PRS #7 pickups. they have really been great in some my early ones. thery're getting a little hard to find but they're out there.

OBX351

Reaction score
I have Lollar Imperials in my '03 Hog, The prior owner bought this guitar with the Lollars, replaced them with real PAFs for a photo shoot and to play. After jamming with the guitar he replaced the PAFs for the Lollars that came with the guitar. Jason makes [email protected] pickups.

I also had a set of Fralins, made for me by Lindy out of Richmond, VA - a great guy too

There are hundreds of boutique PAF makers that have great products. The challenge you'll have is to find which works well with your guitar. Also, if you're going to get a set new pickups you should spend another $100+ to get a vintage PIO harness with measured pots. That will help you get the most out of the pickups. Even if you decide against getting new pickups a vintage style harness with paper in oil caps and measured pots will make an improvement in tone and taper on your vol and tone.

Best of luck!

Attachments

• 02 R8 front Hog.jpg
    02 R8 front Hog.jpg
    157.6 KB · Views: 23

IGRocker

Reaction score
Surprised I haven’t seen Wizz mentioned yet! Aleksandar makes a fantastic PAF replica. I’ll be buying a second set when I get my next Les Paul.

PeteNJ75

Reaction score
There are just so many options out there it really all depends on what guitar you’re putting them in. A set that sounds awesome in one guitar might sound like crap on another. I know that’s not very helpful, but IMO it’s a crap shoot and it’s hard to go too wrong. I haven’t tried Thobaks yet but I will say that you should check out Re-Wind pickups. I have his Peter Green set and they’re amazing. Along with his wiring harness it makes my guitar sound about as close to vintage as I could imagine. Very articulate and ballsy and aggressive at the same time, combined with my HM Les Paul it gets that hollow, woody sound and by turning the volume down it cleans up perfectly. I also have a set of Lindy Fralin Pure PAFs and that is my personal all-around favorite guitar. Very versatile pickups and made the guitar sound so much bigger and ballsier (and clearer) compared to the stock Burstbuckers. Again, it’s hard to go wrong, each set is just a different flavor - I don’t think one set is really “better” than the other. I’ll just say the Re-Winds definitely sound more vintage to my ears.

InvalidUserName

Reaction score
Are these all American winders? Anybody have experience of UK/European winders? Just curious, but also looking to swap P/U's and harness in my LP

gtomax

Reaction score
Wizz is in Croatia. Amber pickups from Germany does a nice set as well.

Latest Threads