PAF pickup shootout - Epi Les Paul Style

EVH-SETH

Reaction score
I have a Epiphone Les Paul Ultra (the first one) coming sometime this week that i bought on line for cheap, and it has SIMILIAR qualities to an original 59'. Ive always wanted to do a guitar in the style of the 59'. So where to begin? Pickups! I have a $150 budget but would like to get a lot lower if i could. Basically right now my two options are the new Stew-Mac Parson St. humbuckers which are at a GREAT price. Then there's the Dimarzio 36th anniversary pickups. From what ive read the 36ths have a lot more bite to them which is KIND of what im looking for. I play classic to hard rock in my band and want a classic "hot rodded" tone while still keeping the vintage PAF style sound in there. I would appreciate any input to my selection! Im leaning more towards the Parsons, but ive always had great respect for dimarzio, and the fact that Larry "designed them after his own 59'!

Other Mods planned 50's wiring harness, bone but, Gibson Deluxe tuners!

Cheers everyone!

Also open to other suggestions!

*Note* I do have this same thread posted in UG, but after i did, i realized im gonna get alot more experience over here! Hope noone thinks im trying to spam, everything said above is truth :) Thanks to everyone that helps me out!

jcsk8

Reaction score
My bet are on the 36th's. For me they are a bit too middy and flat on EQ, but for crunchy tones they do the job pretty well. I never seen many sound clips for the parsons yet. Maybe they're good, unpotted etc.

gtr-tek

Fumble Fingers
Reaction score
You might want to add a better bridge and tailpiece combo as well. Aluminum tailpiece is a must as is a decent ABR-1. I like Faber as it isn't too expensive and gets you there in good fashion.

You might want to check the classifieds here for used pups. Sometimes there is a good deal on some custom winds... :cool:

hammered

Reaction score
Seymour Duncan 59/Custom Hybrid might sound pretty cool in the bridge. It's got a good blend of vintage and modern tone IMO.

aar0n

Banned
Reaction score
i have a set of SD Antiquities, asking $180 shipped. They are basiclly brandnew come with all the SD stuff and orignal rings.

EVH-SETH

Reaction score
I ended up getting a park of Alnico II pros for $100. I couldn't resist :) ill get around to PAFs someday. And those Antiquities are tempting...

Latest Threads