• Soft Foam Padding - example: Levy's Classic Leather Strap

Votes: 20 29.0%
  • Memory Foam Padding - example: Gibson Fatboy Strap

Votes: 11 15.9%

• Total voters

nazadian

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm looking into purchasing a new strap for my Les Paul and was curious what people preferred when it came to padded or non-padded straps for a heavy Lester.

Thank you,
Nelson

Reaction score
I can't wear a padded strap - they feel weird and as I move I can feel the guitar 'bounce' in the padding.

what I do want is a WIDE strap - this makes the weight seem far more bearable.

Gibson4NJ

Reaction score
I've got a fairly soft cotton weave strap almost like the mid 1970s camera straps. It feels awesome.

Prefer it significantly to the thick, heavy, stiff leather "premium" straps that offer nothing but inconvenience.

MikeyTheCat

Reaction score
Padded straps absorb tone and resonance from the guitar, so I voted non-padded.

Graham H

Reaction score
I've got the Gibson "Austin" strap, and it is heaven, so comfy, I put the Dunlop strap locks on both of my Sig "T"s so I can switch it to either one !!! Sweet !!!
1780990_10151957908513386_1326984497_o.jpg

Pwrmac7600

Reaction score
Non padded, my straps are old planet wave straps that are just over an inch wide. They came with a pad on them, but I removed the pads immediately. They aren't leather though they are weaved nylon. Pads just feel weird to me on stage. Unfortunately they don't make the strap anymore, which is why iam glad I own 6 of them. With schallers on them it is enough to swap between guitar, since I don't play all of my guitars at once.:laugh2:

duke1098

Reaction score
I use Dimarzio cliplocks for 11 years - no pad or foam on all my LP's and Teles and strat. I also have a mono strap which i rarely use cause i tend to sweat more with it and feel icky after a while. The Dimarzios have served me well. So I voted unpadded.

In addition I prefer the synthetics or natural fibers. Don't like brokeback mountain leather.

jc2000

Reaction score
I have both, it depends on where and how long I'm playing.

bulletproof

aka tarddoggy
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I like the leather,un-padded variety....The padding always felt weird to me and nylon or similar material makes me sweat even more than I usually do.

DaveThePius

Reaction score
Always hated padded straps. Too damn bouncy. I currently use leather straps, as they stay on the shoulder quite well; not as likely to slip off. Specifically, I use Ernie Ball leather straps because they can ADJUST TO 60"; Levy's only goes to 54". I'm a bit portly, and need a longer strap.

Cotton weave stays put as well, and is more fluid when moving around. Nylon is great if you are spastic and move the guitar around a lot like an a$$hole. I use Souldier and Planet Waves straps at times for this very reason.

Frankg11

Reaction score
I like a leather strap with suede lining. It stops the strap from moving around.

boyscout

GAS study patient member
Reaction score
The Gibson Comfort Series straps (like the Fatboy in the poll) are expensive so there will be fewer owners around to vote for them and they will probably 'lose' the poll. However weigh the comments of those who own them carefully.

At least fifteen other types of straps have lived here over the years: wide, thin, leather, fabric, pleather, non-slip... done them all. Since discovering the Comfort Series straps several years ago, I've stopped looking at straps. Heaven is like a Comfort Series strap. Supremely comfortable, doesn't slip around, seems to take a pound or two off the weight of the guitar; it's an all-nighter.

(Henry, there's another plug for these, when do I get my check?!)

RRfireblade

Reaction score
Not a fan of padding either. As weight goes up, I just go wider. Fortunately I generally don't buy heavy guitars so it's not an issue very often. Theres just too much good stuff out there to buy something potentially uncomfortable.

Veeing Fly

Reaction score
I have 4 of these nice leather straps that Takamine was giving away last year. Wide, soft, no padding.
testdrive-strap.png

nitrodave08

Reaction score
Levy's Ultra Comfort : 3" Neoprene, 3" and 2 lengths. List for $70 but can find for $50 all over.
4b91b6304f831.jpg

I found out about it from Tommy Shaw during a meet & greet. His 11# 1999 '59 Historic (Bertha)
nitrodave08-albums-nitrodave08-picture71882-vip-dave.jpg

Latest Threads