P90s

JB1978

Reaction score
Looking to get a set of P90s for my gold top project.
Currently I have pearly gates set in my other Les Paul and stock pick ups on my Epiphone SG and custom shop Texas specials in my Strat. I’ve never had P90s so my knowledge is limited.

I have been told that you just can’t beat Gibson P 90s. know there’s a bunch of specifications I keep hearing stuff like A2, A4, A5 etc

I don’t know anything about those magnets however I found a listing on eBay for a set of Gibson P 90s

Would these be good or would Duncan antiquities be better?
I don’t have an issue with paying some extra money for Gibsons as long as they sound better.

VictorB

Formerly LZF
Super Mod
Reaction score
The best repro P-90s I’ve ever heard were Fralins.

Roxy13

Reaction score
I've always been partial to Gibson P90s myself but as we all know it's subjective. Maybe listen to some YT vids of different ones, although we know people are playing with different amps and some record better than others, but it might help.

VictorB

Formerly LZF
Super Mod
Reaction score
I like Gibson P-90s, when the guitar’s volume is on 10. They lack a little something when you turn the guitar’s volume down..

With the Fralins, they take on a different tonal character at each stage of the guitar’s volume. It’s tough to explain, but once you experience it, you’ll know!

I have a vintage 1957 P-90 in a reissue single cut Junior. It sounds incredible... However the Fralins in my 56 reissue are in an entire other level.

DarrellV

What's up, Doc?
Premium Member
Reaction score
Looking to get a set of P90s for my gold top project.
Currently I have pearly gates set in my other Les Paul and stock pick ups on my Epiphone SG and custom shop Texas specials in my Strat. I’ve never had P90s so my knowledge is limited.

I have been told that you just can’t beat Gibson P 90s. know there’s a bunch of specifications I keep hearing stuff like A2, A4, A5 etc

I don’t know anything about those magnets however I found a listing on eBay for a set of Gibson P 90s

Would these be good or would Duncan antiquities be better?
I don’t have an issue with paying some extra money for Gibsons as long as they sound better.
No, no, no...... :facepalm:

IMO there is no way you should pay that for an open box set! Nope!
1566265472394.png

As a forum brother I can't let you do this and not say something..

I just spent the last week or so searching for a set of P-90's for my latest NGD, and I found a bunch of them for less than that..

2018 Classic Player

I found a set I am happy with for way less than those, used, from a winder that used to hang out on here.

If you want my factory ones, PM me and you can have them for less than half of what that ad is asking for the same pickups.

These are next to new Gibson OEM like you are looking at.

1 marked Lead and 1 marked Rhythm, so you can't go wrong putting them in..

I also have black covers if you would like them, you can have them as they are doing me no good either.

And the black pick guard.

And the black reflector knobs, chip and tip...

I got my creme covers at Philly luthier and they fit perfect, and are not expensive if you need creme..

https://www.philadelphialuthiertools.com/pickup-making-parts/pickup-covers/p90/plastic-p90-soapbar-pickup-cover-1-15-16-49-2mm-cream/

El Pablo

Reaction score
I have a set of stock and P90s in two different LPs. 90% of the time, I go for the crisper/raw tone of the stock set. For me, the Fralins take the advantage with higher gain. They are nice, but nearly PAF'ish to my ears - which isnt a bad thing.

Dolebludger

Reaction score
I had a hell of a time with the stock P90s in my Epi 56 GT P90 guitar from 2009. They buzzed like hell with any gain at all. I replaced them with SD noise canceling P90s, and all is well. My luthier charged me $200 for pups and install. There pups incorporate a “dummy” coil below, which involves some routing on some guitars. Some say they sound too much like PAFs. I don’t think so, as I have a guitar with original PAFs, and the sound isn’t the same. But the SDs sound damned good, with no buzz, and that is good enough for me.

JohnK

Reaction score
It always comes down to preference. Some people will say this or that sounds better, but that's only true from their perspective. Many of them tend to be the same because as I understand it, the original recipe called for about ten thousands turns of wire, and so all the various reproductions they make these days tend to follow that recipe, and they mostly all sound alike, IMO. It doesn't matter if it's stock Gibson, stock Epiphone, Lollar, all the same. My personal favorite has been the Tonerider Hot 90s, which also happen to be among the least expensive P-90s on the market.

Zoobiedood

Reaction score
I am a big fan of Antiquity P90s. No other P90s I've tried sound as good.

Stuff

Reaction score
I've only had one set of Gibson P90s, came stock in a Custom Special. They were almost the exact opposite of what I expected. None of the thick mid-range that I was looking for. Very close in tone to the single-coils in one of my Telecasters. That's cool and useful in its own way. Personally, it's not the sound I want most of the time.

The sound in my head with P90s is more that classic Yamaha single-cut sound: thick, meaty mid-range monster. I've got a P90 from The House of Tone that does exactly that.

HTH

DarrellV

What's up, Doc?
Premium Member
Reaction score
If OP is looking for something more aggressive he can always consider mini hums or Dimarzio Super Distortion for example.

Both will fit the P-90 route opening, be really hot sounding, noiseless, and still not sound like a regular humbucker..

Just a thought.

Dimarzio

Ceramic mag

Mini hums

Mini hums showing bottom plate change to mount them in same size opening.

Latest Threads