P90 or humbucker?

AndrewLP1081996

Reaction score
I'm building a single cut jr(white pine body mahogony neck)and am looking to buy pickups. I'm really not sure which to choose. I have two guitars with humbuckers and I love the sound. I've played p90 lp special and couldn't really tell much difference from my lp studio. Anyway, which do you think is best and why?
Ps if I choose a p90 it will be a dogear, if I go humbucker I'm going to directly mount it with no ring. Just thought is through that out there.
Thanks, Andrew:thumb:

emoney

Reaction score
Give some love to Mr. Young and put a P90 in the neck and a Humbucker in the bridge.

WebGringo

Reaction score
Give some love to Mr. Young and put a P90 in the neck and a Humbucker in the bridge.
That is the way to go !!!

Got my ES set up like that, and it could cover anything and then some.

Btw, dont forget to wire HB for coilsplit when u are at it.

truckermde

Reaction score
Guys, it's a Jr. No neck pup.

Gota be a P90 for the Jr. More rude, less creamy...

AndrewLP1081996

Reaction score
Thanks guys! Thinking on going with stewmacs p90 heard good things about it. Not wanting to spend a lot since its my first and I'm trying to find the cheaper ways to do things.
Here is what i want to do. Going to paint the Gadsden flag on the guitar. That's why there is no guard.

straightblues

Reaction score
I would do a P90. If you want to go with lower dollar pickups, try the GFS pickups from Guitar Fetish. They are very highly rated for the lower price point and are $20 cheaper than the Stew Mac ones. If you want to spend more, I really like the Wolftone P90's.

AndrewLP1081996

Reaction score
Thanks I ordered the sm one for the sake if ordering from one place. Ill keep those in mind for the future.

Brian I

Reaction score
Good choice with the SM P-90. I'm using one in a junior I've built and while I wasn't expecting much, this pickup is really impressive. Cleans up really well if you roll off the volume, yet has that classic P-90 growl when the volume is turned up.

AndrewLP1081996

Reaction score
Good choice with the SM P-90. I'm using one in a junior I've built and while I wasn't expecting much, this pickup is really impressive. Cleans up really well if you roll off the volume, yet has that classic P-90 growl when the volume is turned up.
That's mainly the reason I bought it. I heard it was very versatile and a great pickup! It should be here by the end of the week.:slash:

Latest Threads