P90 gurus, what do i have?

johan.b

Reaction score
I just go a 1960 lp junior double cut. It's a player and all known issues was pointed out. I known the seller for 30 years, so no problems there...
One of the issues is the p90. It measures very high and lack the clarity and high end expected . I really don't know much about these pickups so I need your help.
Back plate looks gibson to me, bobbin is some kind of fiber like material, i expected molded plastic. And it measures a whopping 14k...
... is this just a crazy rewind I can redo or is it an Asian copy of some kind?..

Thanks
J

Attachments

• 20211106_130928.jpg
    20211106_130928.jpg
    128.4 KB · Views: 61
  • 20211106_130948.jpg
    20211106_130948.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 57
  • 20211106_131007.jpg
    20211106_131007.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 55
  • 20211106_131026.jpg
    20211106_131026.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 55

cooljuk

Transducer Producer
Reaction score
Although those photos are pretty blurry, the only part I see that looks original is the baseplate and maybe the pole screws.

Mike I

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would send it to one of the Cool winders here on MLP for evaluation and quote to rewind.

There's always one lurking nearby! ;)

LocoTex

Reaction score
At 14k I don't think it's original, so it wouldn't be worth a rewind.

cooljuk

Transducer Producer
Reaction score
Show us some clear photos of the magnets from all sides, if you can. It may help us make a better recommendation.

johan.b

Reaction score
Thanks guys
I allready put it back in so I can play while deciding what to get or what to do...
. Since it seems non original or at best assembled with some original parts, I'm considering simply starting pulling a few k's worth of windings off and see what I get...
What do you think?...
J

LP Traditional

Reaction score
Hallå Johan!
Just a thought: Could it be one coil off of a P100?
Arent they wound really high and wired in parallell?

johan.b

Reaction score
Hallå Johan!
Just a thought: Could it be one coil off of a P100?
Arent they wound really high and wired in parallell?
Well, I'm new to p90's so i don't know and I've never looked into p100, but my gut says it should be two coils with half the resistance each, put in series for the full z, just like a regular humbucker. Not parallel coils...I think it's just a "donor-coil" from some Asian brand...I ordered a lollar p90 to get going by might look into finding an other donor mic with more appropriate resistance, even if it's just an epiphone or whatever...(or a proper gibson needing a rewind)
J

cooljuk

Transducer Producer
Reaction score
Well, I'm new to p90's so i don't know and I've never looked into p100, but my gut says it should be two coils with half the resistance each, put in series for the full z, just like a regular humbucker. Not parallel coils...I think it's just a "donor-coil" from some Asian brand...I ordered a lollar p90 to get going by might look into finding an other donor mic with more appropriate resistance, even if it's just an epiphone or whatever...(or a proper gibson needing a rewind)
J

When you pull it out, share proper photos of the magnets from all sides and I can tell you if they are original. If the magnets are original, it's worth replacing the bobbin coil. I have several original P-90 bobbins with working coils in various condition from 1950's Gibson P-90s. Or, you could at least put a good replica coil/bobbin on there.

If the magnets are not original, however, you probably only have a baseplate, maybe pole screw, and cover in that case. Still of some value to a guy like me who repairs stuff and can find others like you who need parts.

cooljuk

Transducer Producer
Reaction score
Ah, ok. Perhaps not.

The chamfered keeper bar is not original. The polished magnet also not original (unless the other side is rough) and the rough magnet may or may not be original but seems to have some residue on it from wax potting so maybe not?

The pole screws seem to have either copper showing or maybe it's just rust and looks shiny and smooth in the photo. If it's copper, they are not original. If it's just rust, they may or may not be original. It's hard for me to tell from the photo. Heads look a bit too thick, but maybe it's camera tricks.

The baseplate, cover, and maybe the Philips head bobbin mounting screws and washers if they are original (can't tell from the photos), have a little value and I could buy them, if you're selling. Please don't just throw that stuff away.

What I would do for your guitar is source a vintage P-90 with a working original coil. Try to find something in the 1959-1960 range, if you can.

Because you have the original baseplate and cover, this leaves you open to buying a soapbar style P-90, if that is what you can find, and using your baseplate and cover to convert it to a dogear. If you do that, let me know and I might take your left over soapbar parts.

You still have some good possibilities for restoring your guitar with original parts! They are still out there and available.

johan.b

Reaction score
So all in all, its a fair guess someone used the base plate and cover to convert another brand soapbar into a dogear for this guitar...?... and as long as i have those, i can restore it, if finding original gibson pickup/ parts...
Thanks
J

drugprowlingwolf

Reaction score
Dang! If it was original, I'd say send it right to James.

He rewound a 59-60 P90 for me exactly back to spec. It still makes me smile every time I pick it up!

Latest Threads