P90 advice

Findthetone

Reaction score
I just picked up aTraditional Pro P90 and am working on getting things set up to my liking. I am new to the P90 game but it seems the stock pickups (the ones with taps) are a little too compressed and not open enough. I definitely want that aggressive P90 growl and play mid-gain rock or blues based rock on the guitar. I'm thinking of starting with a pot/cap change first. Or should I try different magnets or different pickups all together?

River

Reaction score
Compared to what? What are you used to?

JoBeans

Reaction score
I would recommend upgrading your pots and caps before you make pickup changes; a better harness will open things up a bit.

Findthetone

Reaction score
I would recommend upgrading your pots and caps before you make pickup changes; a better harness will open things up a bit.

That's what I was thinking. My other Lps all have RS kits and I'm very pleased. Then again they're all Humbuckers, aftermarket at that. I never have like Gibson Humbuckers but I hear great things about the P90s.

What's the best value pots and caps for P90s? I'll probably retain the tapping capability so I'll need good push/pull pots. Not sure if CTS makes them but the tone will be CTS.

JoBeans

Reaction score
Check with jonesyblues custom shop in the vendor classifieds, this is his area of expertise; he can get you the right push-pull pots for your application.

dmraco

Reaction score
if you go with new PUs...I would go WOLFETONE Meaner...AWESOME!!!

I have in combo with a Sprague BB combo from tundratone.

Wraptail

Reaction score

Measure your caps to see where they're at so you have a baseline if you swap, same with caps. Makes it easier to not chase one's tail so much :)

Findthetone

Reaction score
Measure your caps to see where they're at so you have a baseline if you swap, same with caps. Makes it easier to not chase one's tail so much :)

Good tip! I've got a few lying around ranging from .15 to .47 so I have plenty of ground covered. My new push/pull pots should be here tomorrow so we'll see how it goes.

Latest Threads