P90, 1 or 2 pickups

golfnut

Reaction score
I was in Long and McQuade yesterday trying out some P90 equipped guitars. I have had very little experience with P90's but for the past while have been meaning to check them out. I really like what I heard and as I'm saving up for what is supposed to be my last guitar purchase before retirement, a gibson R9 I'm already planning another, the P90 guitar.
The 2 I tried was a Les Paul Jr and a standard 50 goldtop. I'm leaning towards the les paul jr because I find it comfortable and light compared to the standard 50. I'm just wondering if I'd actually miss a neck pickup on a P90 guitar.
So just wondering what you other players would prefer and why?

Christosterone

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I live on my neck pup…or, if it’s a 3 pup, the neck and middle

so, for me, 2 pups are a must…

plus, its a friggin goldtop standard….nothing, i repeat nothing, on gods earth compares to a bound les Paul goldtop…

-chris

angeldeville

Reaction score
Tough call, I’m a neck pickup player, but I don’t miss the neck pickup on a single p90 guitar.

golfnut

Reaction score

plus, its a friggin goldtop standard….nothing, i repeat nothing, on gods earth compares to a bound les Paul goldtop…

-chris
Hmm. I didn't think that I'd have a reason to get rid of my tobacco burst standard 50 once I got my R9 but possibly I may trade it for a standard 50 goldtop with P90's.

mjross

Reaction score
Those Jr’s are pretty nice! I had a 2006 Jr Reissue for a little while and really enjoyed it. Even though I play lefty strung righty I had to let it go because when I flipped it over I had limited access to the higher frets. Traded it to a very nice gentleman for a TV Yellow (very pale almost TV White) Special DC Reissue. Both very nice sounding and playing guitars. I never was a P90 guy but those two guitars changed my mind. Little noisy but well worth it. Here’s my Special DC Reissue, this will give you bridge and neck pickups and is somewhat similar to the Jr., you may want to consider one of these!

1664129698957.jpeg

Another great choice would be a “56” CS Reissue like the one below, excellent guitars!

1664130187890.jpeg

However, for a little less cash, one of the recent Jr. Tributes would be a very nice guitar. Not as pricey as CS and only a bridge pickup but they are very nice for the money!

1664130319300.jpeg

Last edited:

edro

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd go for the P90 Lester and a W I D E thick leather strap... Just wear it a touch higher and the weight is a non-issue...

While I have been amazed a single P90 Juniors with the tones possible out of it, they still won't sound like a neck P90 on a Lester. Different animal....

There is something about bends on a P90 Lester that makes me moist... Lot of playing may sound very similar PAF vs P90 but something about when you start bending strings on a P90 Lester... Yeuh buddy... Beautifully different...

Leee

Extremism in defense of Liberty is no vice
Reaction score
There is definitely an argument for a single P-90 pickup in something like a Les Paul Junior.
If a bridge pickup can operate without the pulling or muting effect on the strings from the magnets in a neck pickup, there is some difference in tone and response/sustain in the guitar.

Esoteric?
Too subtle to be validated by most of us?
Sure.

Plenty of the Les Paul Junior aficionados will testify in this regard, and I tend to believe there may be something to it.

Me?
I’m more of a rhythm guy, and I almost never use the neck pickup on anything I own. So I wouldn’t miss it.

I am a huge fan of the P-90, and I have them in several guitars - but in pairs.
My only experience in this regard was an SG Junior I bought 20 years ago.
It was rough, and I didn’t like the way it played, but it definitely sounded cool.
The wraparound tailpiece was leaning as a result of string tension, the neck was much fatter than I liked, and I just did not see it as a keeper.
I bought it cheap, and sold it cheap.

01GT Eibach

Reaction score
For me, just one pickup is not even an option. Both pickups have so much tonal range. Here is my 2018 LP Classic Player Plus; I love this guitar.

9uidSij.jpg

InTheEvening

Reaction score
I think it’s a personal preference. But I have both an SG special with two p90’s and a single p90 Les Paul Junior and though I love both, my junior gets a lot more play time and I have yet to find myself missing the neck pickup when I play it. Since the junior is such a light weight guitar with no neck pickup to get in the way, it’s very comfortable. There’s also something freeing about it’s simplicity, making it fun to play. And with the volume and tone controls alone the single pickup is capable of getting a surprising variety of sounds. Best of luck in your hunt! I’m sure you’ll be happy with either.

Video I made showing some of the tonal variety of the junior.

And pic of both. :)
2140-ADD2-790-B-4023-AF27-3-CFF397-A8455.jpg

Last edited:

smk506

Reaction score
A neck position p90 is one of the finer joys in life. Nothing wrong at all with a good jr. but the neck is where it’s at imo.

gball

Reaction score
There's an argument for simplicity and all with the Junior, but I can't live with a single-pickup guitar. I've had a Junior and a Firebird I, and although both were cool as hell I really missed the neck pickup.

Maybe go for a Special? You get the light, slab-bodied style along with the neck pickup. And some binding and inlaid logo for icing.

mjross

Reaction score
There's an argument for simplicity and all with the Junior, but I can't live with a single-pickup guitar. I've had a Junior and a Firebird I, and although both were cool as hell I really missed the neck pickup.

Maybe go for a Special? You get the light, slab-bodied style along with the neck pickup. And some binding and inlaid logo for icing.
This is going to sound strange but 95% of my guitars have neck pickups, never use them and that’s a few guitars. I’ve always lived on the bridge pickup and really dig single pickup guitars.

Little bit off topic but here’s 2 of my favorites, Steinberger GM1TA’s, Ebony and Ivory! You can live on the bridge pickup with these guitars, just love them.

1664133380203.jpeg

InTheEvening

Reaction score
This is going to sound strange but 95% of my guitars have neck pickups, never use them and that’s a few guitars. I’ve always lived on the bridge pickup and really dig single pickup guitars.

Little bit off topic but here’s 2 of my favorites, Steinberger GM1TA’s, Ebony and Ivory! You can live on the bridge pickup with these guitars, just love them.

View attachment 638014
If it’s strange count me in that group too. I also live on the bridge pickup. I very rarely use the neck pickup on a guitar. Bridge pickup with volume and tone control gets almost all of the sounds I need. Only time I really like the neck pickup is when I keep the neck volume rolled back and the bridge volume on full, then I can go from clean to dirty with a flip of the pickup selector switch.

mjross

Reaction score
If it’s strange count me in that group too. I also live on the bridge pickup. I very rarely use the neck pickup on a guitar. Bridge pickup with volume and tone control gets almost all of the sounds I need. Only time I really like the neck pickup is when I keep the neck volume rolled back and the bridge volume on full, then I can go from clean to dirty with a flip of the pickup selector switch.
Hear that! Neck pickups seem dull to me and I have some very nice ones in some of my guitars. Old habits are hard to break. ROCK ON SIR!

InTheEvening

Reaction score
Hear that! Neck pickups seem dull to me and I have some very nice ones in some of my guitars. Old habits are hard to break. ROCK ON SIR!
Indeed! At this point I think I’ve accepted I’m not much of a neck pick up guy haha. You as well sir! :cheers2:

CB91710

Not Michael Sankar
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score

-chris
Except... A wrap-tail bound Les Paul Goldtop.....

R4-Top-1.jpg