P90’s in my strat, no output! Help please.

Leumas

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
The title gives the idea. I have an American standard Strat that I installed a Gibson P90 in the neck and a Seymour Duncan antiquity in the bridge. I pulled the middle pickup entirely.

I wired the neck pup to the standard neck position and the bridge to the middle position of the five way switch. I grounded the braided cable the the back of the volume pot…and nothing. Absolutely no output. I did another strat the same way a few years ago and it worked right out of the gate. Any ideas where I went wrong.

strayedstrater

Reaction score
Braided wire bare grounds? Did you cover them with plastic tubing or tape in the control cavity?

cybermgk

“Happiness is the most insidious prison of all"
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Picture of the wiring might help people here assist.

E.T.

Reaction score
Any ideas where I went wrong.
You bought a stratocaster:facepalm: The P90s are the beginning of the road to redemption, though.

Joking aside, I'd start by checking that the connections at the pickup ends of the braided wire are good. The ones on my P90 at least are a little hinkey as they come through the bobbin and solder to the underside for some reason.

Last edited:

CB91710

Not Michael Sankar
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
First step is to verify continuity.
Measure ohms at the output jack in all three switch positions and with the volume and tone all the way up and all the way down.

Are you getting output from the humbucker, and just not the P90, or is the whole thing dead?

Antigua

Reaction score
The braided wire is a real problem with Strats and Teles. It will work fine when it's open, but once you press the control plate or pickguard into the body, the wires squish and the braided wire can touch the pickup selector or the pot connections and shorts out the circuit. Since Gibson's electronics mount to the body directly, it's never as much of a problem.

Latest Threads