P/U Question On New (to me) Samik LP Std

Eagle 56

Reaction score
Hey all, I'm new here but have owned several Epi's over the last couple of years. I just purchased a '91 LP Standard (Plus top?) and will be receiving it on Monday or Tuesday. I've done a lot of searching but haven't found a lot of info on them. It's in excellent condition and all stock. My question is, what type of P/U's should I expect to find in it? Also, what are the vintage tuners like?
akhnkftfkxalsksvhqoz.jpg ovkpintpljcvqxuo0jec.jpg

DrBGood

Reaction score
Les Paul Standard

Epiphone Les Paul Standard

1989 Epiphone Les Paul Standard
  • 1989-2013
Body:
  • Mahogany body
  • Carved top
Neck:
  • Set mahogany neck with SlimTaper profile
  • Rosewood fingerboard with trapezoid inlays
  • Gold "Les Paul Model" silkscreen on headstock
  • Small open-book headstock (1989)
  • Modern clipped-ear headstock (1990-2013)
  • 22 frets
  • 24.75" scale
  • 1.68" nut width
Binding:
  • 1-ply body & neck
Electronics:
  • Alnico Classic humbuckers
  • 2 Vol. 2 Tone controls
  • 3-way selector switch
Hardware:
  • Chrome hardware
  • LockTone Tune-O-Matic bridge with stopbar tailpiece
  • Amber bell knobs
  • Elevated pickguard
  • Epiphone vintage-style green key tuners (1989-2002)
  • Grover Rotomatic die-cast tuners (2002-2013)
Colors:
Epiphone Wiki Archive

I have those tuners on two of my Epiphones, they're great.

Last edited:

RTH

€piphoneWiki Team
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Those pickup specs may not be accurate for a 1991. I'd have to refer to a catalog to verify.

RTH

€piphoneWiki Team
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I have two different newer versions of those tuners on guitars and they work just fine for me. I have the "E" stamped circa 2001 on a LP and 2017-ish versions on a PRO-1 acoustic.

RTH

€piphoneWiki Team
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
1995 catalog list all LPs as having "two humbuckers". The 1991 catalog probably isn't any more specific, but I don't have access to it right now.

Jewel the Sapphire

Reaction score
Sweet burst! I have had 2 Epiphones with the Samick pickups. If that set has gone microphonic repotting them is worth it imo, I think they are black under the covers. The tuners hold tune and are not the same color as modern green epiphone deluxe but more the gibson/kluson beige yellow, also they are vintage small hole press in bushing IIRC

RTH

€piphoneWiki Team
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
The plus top designation began in 2003. Yours isn't technically considered a plus top...even though it has the plus top. Separating the finish into two different categories was a way to squeeze a little extra money out of the buyer.

GraphX12

Reaction score
The tuners hold tune and are not the same color as modern green epiphone deluxe but more the gibson/kluson beige yellow, also they are vintage small hole press in bushing IIRC
I have those tuners on my '99 G-400 and they are just fine. Can't see why you would need to change them, unless of course they are worn out.

scrumm21

Reaction score
very Gorgeous finish on that '91 !!!!!
Swap the Pickups..... the Epi Alnico's are decent ...but They've been swapped out of the 2 epi's I have that came with them and it was\is a Significant improvement. ( and if you're swapping pickups out that would be the time to upgrade harness\pots for optimal response) That beautiful Finish deserves the upgrades

Jewel the Sapphire

Reaction score
20190412_145442.jpg

This one came out of a 1989 Epiphone Les Paul Standard in the bridge position the neck was already changed out for a Gibson burstbucker 1 most likely because it went microphonic just like this one... What is it potted with? Taco Bell?

scrumm21

Reaction score
lol - so many good options ( didn't say it'd be easy ) Apart from commercial brands such as SD etc, there are several Excellent winders here on MLP. List your preferred tastes \ styles of music you prefer to play and you will get a lot of good suggestions of what pickups will match. (I am 70's classic rock kind a guy) I have "Electric City" RD-59's in my '91 Epi and other Epi has "ReWind" Low Output PAFs; which quickly became my fav. Don't be in a hurry to decide and spend a fair amount of time getting feedback....
(1st spend time tweaking pickup heights and the poles of the orig pups and you may find a sweet spot you really like and be perfectly satisfied with the stock pups)

DrBGood

Reaction score
You just got that beautiful guitar. You shouldn't go on opening it up and start changing everything just because people on a forum tell you so.

That LP has seen 28 years of play without any electronic changes. That should mean something. There are so many way to tweak an electric guitar tone that doesn't cost much.

First one is new strings.

Then as mentionned above, pickup height. How many times have I seen players wanting to swap their "muddy" pups and once they've been convinced to try to adjust what they have, kept those not muddy anymore pups.

Then there's the tone knobs on your guitar, PLUS the ones on your amp.

The pots, caps and the switch are perfectly operational and replacing them will only satisfy your placebo neuron. Whenever one starts to act on one of my Epis, a small shot of cleaning-lubricant spray will spruce them up for another few year or so. All my Epis have their original electronic components still working great.

Enjoy your new baby !

Eagle 56

Reaction score
I agree DrBGood. I've become pretty proficient at doing my own setups, so that's exactly what I plan to do. I may lift up the P/Us just out of curiosity to see what they look like, but then plan to put new strings on it the do the normal setting up: neck relief, action, intonation and P/U heights. Unless something sounds not right I do plan to just leave it alone. From what the seller has told me I have a feeling these P/Us sound pretty good.

robgil

Reaction score
I had one just like that, cant remember what was stamped on the PU's but it wasn't Epiphone, search my posts , it will be on there. It was the loveliest finish I have seen on one, and not a finish ive ever seen again until now, I stupidly ended up selling it, I will see if I can get a photo on my PC of the PU's. If Im honest I didn't really get on with it, but its a personal thing, I had just sold an early 2000's Korean Standard which in my eyes was a much better guitar, but again its a personal thing.

LeftyF2003

Reaction score
Also remember, those pole pieces are slotted for a reason. Pickup too muddy? Lower the pickup and raise the pole pieces. The reverse is also the case, assuming there's any room to lower the pole pieces.

Good luck and H(almost)NGD!

Latest Threads