p-90 to mini-hum swap

Reaction score
hi, would i be able to put mini-humbuckers (firebird/LP deluxe) into a guitar that had p-90's, withouth routing or anything like that?

i was thinking about getting an Epi 56' GT reissue and turnin it into a deluxe GT

Reaction score
Yes, P-90's and mini's WILL mount in the same cavity, here's how.

Mini Humbucker into P-90:
A little hard to describe, but it's really a simple setup....
1. Screw goes thru the ring.
2. spacer of some type (cut-to-length chunk of a drinking straw works great) goes over screw, under ring.
3. Screw goes thru the pickups ears, but does not screw into the ears.
4. S small nut is threaded onto the screw until the pickup is snug against the spacer.
5. nut is soldered to the screw so it won't come loose
6. you now have a pickup/ring assembly, which in turn will screw into either an adapter plate (see pic below), which is attached at the bottom of the cavity, or into threaded inserts which are pressed into the bottom of the guitars pickup cavity.

I'll try to get pics of the assembled mini as soon as I figure out the missus' camera!

Here's a picture of the plate I'm talking about, it works for both P-90's and minihumbuckers. The Mini would use the holes on the outside of the plate.

It is attached to the bottom of the P-90 so I wouldn't lose it here, but it actually screws into the cavity first, then the pickup screws in afterwards.

special001.jpg
[/IMG]

The ring is for looks alone

P-90 into mini:
In most cases, it's simply a matter of pulling the mini out, putting a little foam in the cavity, and screwing the P-90 in, especially with the plate described above. If you don't have the plate, all you have to do is use long wood screws and screw them directly into the wood. Easy as pie

Reaction score
wow, thanks alot Captain ^_^!!
i wanted to make shure before i bought it
(nothin against p-90's of course, i just want a deluxe =])

Reaction score
No problem! Look up Jason Lollar on youtube, too, he's got some great how-to vids on this very subject.

Rick-BJ

Reaction score
or make it even easier and buy a humbucker in soapbar format, dimarzio makes some of them.

WoodyTone

Reaction score
Lollar mini-hums, which sound great but NOT like a P-90 exactly, come with everything you need for a drop-in replacement on a P-90 guitar.

Latest Threads