P-90 in Melody Maker Reissue....finally

LocoTex

Reaction score
Hey all,

I finally got back to my project of putting a P-90 in my 2007 Melody Maker. Got the soldering on the output jack cleared up, got continuity on my multimeter and plugged her in. Wow! Sounds huge and awesome. Used a Wolfetone Meaner P-90.......very nice pickup. A couple of pictures below:

IMG_0992.JPG
IMG_0991.JPG

endial

Reaction score
I wired it 50's style. Seems to have quite a bit more top end....I have to turn the tone way down.
250k pot? 500k is rarely used in Juniors for this very reason. Shouldn't matter enough though, really. I keep my tone knob on my Junior build at about 3 or 4 because all I had was a 500k at the time. Same story.

Looks killer. I bet that thing rocks balls.

LocoTex

Reaction score
250k pot? 500k is rarely used in Juniors for this very reason. Shouldn't matter enough though, really. I keep my tone knob on my Junior build at about 3 or 4 because all I had was a 500k at the time. Same story.

Looks killer. I bet that thing rocks balls.
Rocks balls indeed.....splendidly! Nothing like a good P-90 for rock and roll. They are 500k pots - got a kit from Toneman Guitar. I just keep the tone at 3 or 4 and it sounds great. if it gets annoying I might try a 250.

endial

Reaction score
Yeah, that's just the thing. Sounds just fine at three and four so why bother? Mine's still there. I know where to dial it.

;)

Who

Well respected man about town
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Melody Maker approves.

Purists DO NOT want to see what I did under that pickguard to make the P90 fit.

(Hint.... I used a jackknife).

02693183-B865-417B-B72E-C23A4D74D7EF.jpeg

LocoTex

Reaction score
My Melody Maker approves.

Purists DO NOT want to see what I did under that pickguard to make the P90 fit.

(Hint.... I used a jackknife).

View attachment 523961
I used a router for the first time on mine. Lost my concentration for one second and....took out a little more than I should on one side. After freaking out, I used some wood putty to fill where I took out too much and mixed some paint that looked like it matched. Sanded down the putty, painted the area, and when it dried you needed a magnifying glass to see where it had happened. I was pleased.

LocoTex

Reaction score
And where did you get the LP pickguard?

smk506

Reaction score
Fantastic! :applause: .

Always liked melody makers and a real pickup goes a loooong way with them.

I put a jazz master pickup in mine fairly recently and man it makes it a whole new guitar.

I also went with 50’s style wiring, but I used 1meg pots, pretty sure both are linear too. Working the controls is mandatory, but I feel like it cover a surprising amount of tonal ground.

With one pickup you’re going to be on top of the controls anyway, so the extra high end when full on is just a nice option.

I’ve been whoring this pic out a bit, but what the hey.

77D1D181-3642-4043-9AE2-F8913C1624EB.jpeg

judson

Reaction score
i mounted a Lollar P90 in the 62 husk i found, also mounted 2 SDs strat pups in a 65 husk as well.....i dont really like the look of the 65 "tick" body but wasnt going to shave it...tempted but figure i would live with it....

both sound great, perfect necks, im happy with them both.

tracking down a pick guard was tough for both but i bought a original 62 online that had a cutout for a top mount P90 already so I lucked out there...the 65 it was hit or miss and will try to post where i found that one new...

no body mods needed :applause:

for the money these things are sleepers , calmed the GAS for a Jr. for way less $$$

6265MM.jpg

Last edited:

LocoTex

Reaction score
i mounted a Lollar in the 62 husk i found, also mounted 2 SDs strat pups in a 65 husk as well.....i dont like the look of the 65 but it sounds great...will try to find some pics

tracking down a pick guard was tough for both but i bought a original 62 online that had a cutout for a top mount P90 already so I lucked out there...the 65 it was hit or miss and will try to post where i found that one new...

no body mods needed :applause:

for the money these things are sleepers , calmed the GAS for a Jr. for way less $$$
I agree. I'd like to be able to afford a nice real '59 Melody Maker.

Last edited:
Reactions: Who

judson

Reaction score
I agree. I'd like to be able to afford a nice real '59.
myself as well but the 50's JRs start at about $5k and roll up from there....

i have less than $2k invested into the two MM's and really made me think i can do without a Jr for awhile.

The body thickness is noticable diffence but you can get a MM to sound just as good...

my opinion only maybe, your results may vary... :)

dc007

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yessir, much badassery emanating from this pickup. And the original was not half bad either. I've got them both on their own pickguards so I can easily swap.
I keep toying with idea of dropping a wolfetone meaner in my junior. On paper it's a bit hotter than the gibson. Does it clean up well?

Reactions: Who

LocoTex

Reaction score
I keep toying with idea of dropping a wolfetone meaner in my junior. On paper it's a bit hotter than the gibson. Does it clean up well?
It does. Just roll back the volume and it gets really sweet and clean. I don't know that I would replace a Gibson P-90, but the Wolfetone is a great pickup.

LocoTex

Reaction score
I went ahead and ordered a 250k audio taper pot for the tone. The 500k sounds great, just not enough sweep.

LocoTex

Reaction score
Oh, and I put a Wolfetone Meaner P-90 in the bridge on my 2014 Melody Maker a few months ago. Incredible improvement over the stock slug polepiece P-90.

Latest Threads