Which would you choose?

• LP Classic

Votes: 4 33.3%
  • ES-330L

Votes: 8 66.7%

• Total voters

BDoubleG

Reaction score
I've got a P-90 fever and I've got a line on a couple of options: a 2018 Les Paul Classic Gold Top and a 2005 Custom Shop ES-330L.

59464C2A-EB7B-461C-8F22-068202AEE342.JPG

The ES-330 is about $500 (Canadian) more than the LP but I'm leaning in that direction. Does anyone have any opinions on which would be more versatile? I know The ES is a true hollow, so feedback may be an issue, but I don't think I'll be using it for anything loud enough to give me any real issues.

Also worth noting that the LP comes with OHSC and paperwork and the ES-300L comes with the OHSC but no paperwork. With that said, I would be buying from an authorized dealer who happened to sell the ES-330 new and can vouch for its authenticity.

Anyone think the LP is a better call?

smk506

Reaction score
I’d probably go with the es over the LP if I wanted to try something new and have some fun. The LP would be a solid choice if I didn’t already have a few gold tops and p90 guitars.

Can’t go wrong with either really, they’re both really cool.

mdubya

Reaction score
I would consider whether you want a solid body or a hollow body.

There is definitely a decent sized common ground, tone wise, for these two guitars. However, the playing experience and unique tone territory is significant, too.

I have a standard (not L) ES 330 and 3 P-90 Les Pauls.

So, obviously, I am going to say you NEED both.

The 330 is an incredible and precious guitar. But it is different.

luuQ842.jpg

NkA6trJ.jpg

FWIW - I have a Firebird and an SG Classic with P-90s, too. Buy them all.

gitmohair

Reaction score
I'd be more than happy with either, but the ES would be the one I'd really hanker for :)

dwagar

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I also vote for the 330.

I have 2 P-90 Les Pauls and an ES330. IMO the 330 has a beautiful unique tone being a hollow body. If you are cranking it up at a gig, you have to find a safe spot on the stage and plant yourself there.

judson

Reaction score
always wanted a ES335 ....got one finally, but it sits in a case and doesnt get alot of play really...but everyone should own one..

i got the P90 bug a while back and its still in me..like'n a few different Lollars...they do it for me

BDoubleG

Reaction score
I would consider whether you want a solid body or a hollow body.

There is definitely a decent sized common ground, tone wise, for these two guitars. However, the playing experience and unique tone territory is significant, too.

I have a standard (not L) ES 330 and 3 P-90 Les Pauls.

So, obviously, I am going to say you NEED both.

The 330 is an incredible and precious guitar. But it is different.

luuQ842.jpg

NkA6trJ.jpg

FWIW - I have a Firebird and an SG Classic with P-90s, too. Buy them all.
This is great information, but I don’t know whether to thank you or not - I’m starting to think about grabbing both ha! I just picked up the LP and I’m headed to the other store to check out the ES. They’re two locations of a chain up her in Canada, so if I really prefer the ES, I can always return the LP.

You do make a great point though!!

BDoubleG

Reaction score
I think I'm probably going to end up with the ES - I will say though, seeing all of these beautiful bursts makes me lament that this one's a cherry, but c'est la vie!

efstop

Small amps ^^ are fun
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think I'm probably going to end up with the ES - I will say though, seeing all of these beautiful bursts makes me lament that this one's a cherry, but c'est la vie!
Cherry is good. I have an ES-235 semi-hollow in cherry and it's the prettiest guitar I have :cheers:

BDoubleG

Reaction score
330L is VERY difficult to find. that les Paul is cool... but you'll likely never see another 330L in a local shop. I'd buy the 330 in a heartbeat.
Ended up taking this to heart. The LP was a beauty and I wish I could keep both, but I'll have plenty of opportunities to lock down another P-90 goldtop, especially since they're in the standard 50s rotation now.

Just returned the LP and grabbed this - if anyone is Canadian and in the market, the LP was returned at the London South Long & McQuades - it's mint!

I'll give a full update later tonight, ut here she is at the office!

IMG_7163.jpg

truckermde

Reaction score
Well chosen, my friend!

I'm even a Goldtop fan, and I'd be all over that ES, were it up to me.

HNGD!

:cheers2:

Latest Threads