Overwound A2 vs A5?

Musha Ring

Reaction score
I have a 2016 Traditional that's a pretty dark sounding guitar and I'm looking to brighten it up.

Here's something I've been wondering about lately; A2 pups sound a little darker to me, generally speaking, than A5s. Is that a fair assessment? Would an overwound set of A2s compensate for this and have the smoothness of A2s, but more clarity? A2s allow more vibration because they have less pull, how would an overwound A2 affect this?

AJK1

Reaction score
In my experience Unpotted A2’s like Antiquities sound great in Trads
Unpotted Custom Shop Pearly Gates are even better
Both these sets sound clear and chimey clean, and sound gorgeous when overdriven

LP1865

Reaction score
Overwound A2s are awesome, i have a set wound to 12k. Sound great with a lot of mids

ARandall

Reaction score
Comparing 2 completely different pickups is pretty pointless. You could have an overwound pickup sound brighter than a lower wound one with the same magnet depending on how its wound.
Equally you could have a high wound A5 fitted pickup sound darker by far than the low wound A2 one.

ARandall

Reaction score
Would an overwound set of A2s compensate for this and have the smoothness of A2s, but more clarity?
No, the complete opposite in fact.

Take Lollar pickups. They actually do have the same pickup but in a stock/10% underwound/10%overwound configurations. Because of this it should truly be an apples to apples comparison.
The 10% underwound ones will be brighter, have more clarity, be more uncompressed than the stock wind. The 10% overwound will be thicker, darker and more compressed than stock.

Wailing

Reaction score
I have a set of Bareknuckle Peter Greens in my 2002 Standard Les Paul.. they are A2 and far more bright and articulate than the original A5 burstbuckers ... They sound awesome

Duane_the_tub

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
My WIZZ vintage wires had an A5 in the bridge and A2 in the neck and I think that's the ultimate configuration for meaty but still vintage sounding tone. They were on the hot side (I believe just north of 8.5K, I'd have to check). The neck definitely did not sound dark.

BadMongo

Reaction score
Not a whole lot to add here, but other things I'd look at if you like it but just need it brighter would be to check the pots and caps, experiment with pickup and polepiece heights, and possibly with magnet swaps. If you have pickups that you generally like, those tweaks can all get things closer. Though I do think with magnet changes I sometimes notice the change in the envelope and attack as well as (and maybe more than) the shift in tonality. If it was my guitar and I liked the sound otherwise, I'd try an A8 in the bridge and sink the neck pickup below the ring and see if that got me there.

ARandall

Reaction score
My WIZZ vintage wires had an A5 in the bridge and A2 in the neck and I think that's the ultimate configuration for meaty but still vintage sounding tone. They were on the hot side (I believe just north of 8.5K, I'd have to check). The neck definitely did not sound dark.
Did you have a special wind done with your vintage wire set??
I've got set #9, and they are both A4....with 8.2/7.5k

Latest Threads