Overdriving an AC15

hrpoms9

Reaction score
Apologies if this has been posted before - I'm new here, but did look through some threads and couldn't find exactly what I'm looking for.

I would love to get "close" to a little bit of a heavier sound out of my rig. My setup gets me 96% of the music I like to play, gets me close enough to the GNR, Van Halen sound. What I'm missing is that extra little chug for Iron Maiden, some Megadeth (Not the thrashy stuff, but more like "A Tout Le Monde" as an example). That is essentially the heaviest music I will play.

I have a couple guitars but this question pertains mostly to my '17 Studio Les Paul, which I love and is my go to guitar for any of the heavier music. I play through an AC15, which I also love. I use a Fulltone OCD to push the amp, and that combo does everything I ask of it, except the above....I guess it's lacking a little bottom end, and some clarity at higher distortion levels for single note runs. I obviously know this seeing as it's an AC15.

I'm not really looking to match the tones above - I just love playing on my own or with a buddy, and if I can get close to the sounds I like that's more than good enough for me. I'd like to add to my setup something that gets me just a little bit closer to that chug/crunch.

to re-iterate: Studio --> OCD ---> AC15

I am looking at 3 options and would like input on the most economical way to achieve my goal.

A) get a distortion pedal to push the amp harder than the OCD can. The OCD is oh so close but just lacking a little. I've tried a RAT and honestly hated it.

B) stack another overdirve or even a transparent OD?

C) get a separate amp that can do it for me.

I have a little money to burn, but honestly I'd rather spend around $200-300 on a pedal addition than $800 for an amp that could do it for me. Like I said, won't be gigging, just want that extra crunch.

Any help is appreciated!

northernguitarguy

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
Apologies if this has been posted before - I'm new here, but did look through some threads and couldn't find exactly what I'm looking for.

I would love to get "close" to a little bit of a heavier sound out of my rig. My setup gets me 96% of the music I like to play, gets me close enough to the GNR, Van Halen sound. What I'm missing is that extra little chug for Iron Maiden, some Megadeth (Not the thrashy stuff, but more like "A Tout Le Monde" as an example). That is essentially the heaviest music I will play.

I have a couple guitars but this question pertains mostly to my '17 Studio Les Paul, which I love and is my go to guitar for any of the heavier music. I play through an AC15, which I also love. I use a Fulltone OCD to push the amp, and that combo does everything I ask of it, except the above....I guess it's lacking a little bottom end, and some clarity at higher distortion levels for single note runs. I obviously know this seeing as it's an AC15.

I'm not really looking to match the tones above - I just love playing on my own or with a buddy, and if I can get close to the sounds I like that's more than good enough for me. I'd like to add to my setup something that gets me just a little bit closer to that chug/crunch.

to re-iterate: Studio --> OCD ---> AC15

I am looking at 3 options and would like input on the most economical way to achieve my goal.

A) get a distortion pedal to push the amp harder than the OCD can. The OCD is oh so close but just lacking a little. I've tried a RAT and honestly hated it.

B) stack another overdirve or even a transparent OD?

C) get a separate amp that can do it for me.

I have a little money to burn, but honestly I'd rather spend around $200-300 on a pedal addition than $800 for an amp that could do it for me. Like I said, won't be gigging, just want that extra crunch.

Any help is appreciated!
Friedman BE-OD.

/end

hrpoms9

Reaction score
Cool, thanks for the help. Unfortunately, I don't have access to try it out in any of the local stores. Most local places don't have "boutique" pedals, like wamplers or these. Only the basic brand names available.
I'm not necessarily averse to buying without trying and returning, but testing before buying is preferred.

Are there any more common pedals that could achieve this? I've actually heard that the MXR super bad ass could do what I'm looking for.

I plan to get next weekend to do some testing, so any and all recommendations would be great! The more names I can try out side by side, the better.

Woman Tone Man

Reaction score
The Ibanez TS9DX works great and my secret is replacing the Wharfdale speaker with a UK Celestion black and white label 70/80 speaker.

Death Incarnate

V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I've actually heard that the MXR super bad ass could do what I'm looking for.
I've owned over a dozen distortion and overdrive pedals, and that's not even counting the fuzz pedals, which are a totally different breed. I also use a Vox (an AC4TVH and AC30S1), and put pedals in front of it for me distortion tones.

I feel the Super Badass Distortion is just too much. I am also against a drive/disto box having five pedals. Some people like that much customization, I find it obnoxious, and overwhelming. I also though the Super Badass was just a little too heavy, and more metal like.

However, I HIGHLY recommend the 78 Custom Badass Distortion. It's a very smooth and articulate and crunchy pedal. It's not fizzy or buzzy or shitty sounding. I always felt the MXR Distortion+ is WAY too harsh in its clipping. The Distortion III sounds more like an overdrive to me, specially a Tube Screamm. But the 78 Custom Badass is exactly what was looking for. Especially with the blue light "crunch" mode, you get that perfect scooped mid-range distortion, that is very articulate and cuts through a band or song mix.

freak

Reaction score
Friedman BE-OD.

/end
X2, but I would get the deluxe. one channel is not as heavy as the original, so you are really getting 2 pedals in one. I use the original channel (heavier) for a solo boost. You can't go wrong with this one. I believe it may have internal trim pots......to tame the sound. I am pretty sure the original does.

Latest Threads