Overdrive pedal addiction

rhys1157

Reaction score
Just curious to see all your guys pedal collections.
I love overdrive pedals both boutique and std production.
What do you guys love or hate.
I'm running mine into the front end of my mojotone jtm 45 through a matchless 1x12. My main guitars are a gibson 2013 r9 and a 1994 gibson les Paul classic gold top. I also use the SG sometimes.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 190

Scotheath

Reaction score
Funny I have the same problem,
I've had a metal zone since I was 15 years old used to think it was the coolest thing ever :) but then I grew up. I currently have in my possession a MXR fullbore metal, DS 1 that I moded with a fromel kit off ebay. I have built a Rat PROCal, a Tube Screamer, a boneyard, and a Dirty little secret, and most recently a vintage fuzz, and depending on my mood I don't like any of them. I think im gonna order up a mod kit for my metal zone haha

rhys1157

Reaction score
I had the same problem with my ds1. I had it for 20 years and I thought it sounded great. I did the keeley mod recently and it sounds good now. But I do have the same problem, I can't tell if any of them sound good haha

pillbug

Reaction score
Wow, and I thought I had an addiction, until I looked at your picture!

johnh

Reaction score
I like them too, and I can understand having a collection. An OD pedal, if its a good one, is such a juicy organic tone when combined with the right amp. Every other effect is just unnecessary extra icing on the cake. And being small, and not outlandishly expensive (compared to other things one could collect), it is a feasible proposition to have bunch of them. Also they are often good for tinkering with too if you want to get into the circuitry.

I'm nowhere near your collection though. I have a Bad Monkey, an OD3 and an OD1-x (highly recommended!), plus a couple that I designed.

nutsauce

Reaction score
Don't have any pics, but I use a Fulltone OCD and a Wampler SLOstortion. With the dirt channel on the Mesa this gives me 4 distinct distortion tones. The Wampler is set for very high gain and is only used with the clean channel of my Mesa LSS. The second channel of the Mesa is set for a good classic rock crunch. The the OCD is set for a slight blues breakup kinda tone when used with the clean channel. But I also use it with my dirt channel to boost that classic rock tone more. So 4 really distinct and useable dirt tones with two pedals.

As far as past pedals, I haven' really used that many. My first pedal was a ProCo RAT. I liked it okay but just seemed a bit harsh sounding. Tried the Boss Metal Zone and hated it. Used a Fulltone Full-Drive II for a while when I was playing a Fender DRRI. That pedal sounds really good with Fender amps for some reason, but just didn't work when I moved to the Mesa LSS.

Stevie 202

Reaction score
The only dirt pedal I use is a nasty old Boss OD-1 that I've been dragging around since the bronze age.

Don't use it much, but it's always there....waiting....:dude:

No pix of mine at ATM, but it's one a these:

m_boss_od-1_01.jpg

Zepp76

Reaction score
I tried all sorts of pedals until I bought an Xotic sl Drive, the searching stopped after that.

rhys1157

Reaction score
I guess it's the amp addiction only a little cheaper. The pedal companies are lucky this elusive sound is our heads and almost unable to be captured. It's very annoying...and I love it

omfug4life

Reaction score
I'm just getting over my addiction to OD pedals and moving to a delay addiction. I most recently landed on the OCD v4 and Maxon OD9 on my gig board, and the Analogman KOT, a TS9 and MXR BD77 on my secondary board. Not in love with the MXR, though.

MrKensei

Reaction score
I dont use a drive pedal any more: I run Bareknuckle Nailbombs into OD2 Orange of my JVM, more drive would be suicide.

However I have amassed a fair collection (not all of these are Still with us). pedals marked with * are technically Distortion.

TS808 Clone
MXR Wylde Overdrive
Vox Ice 9
Vox Satchurator*
Coffin Case Blood Drive
Ibanez Jemini
Marshall jackhammer
Marshall Guvnor 2
Marshall Bluesbreaker 2
Pignose Detonator
Metal Muff*
MXR 78 custom badass Distortion*

my pedal addiction died when I bought a TC Electronics G Major. I cant imagine using anything else

rhys1157

Reaction score
I'm enjoying the kot pedal a lot. Very good and usable pedal. I got trapped by the ocd pedal too. I bought the v4 and liked it BUT now there's 3 others too. I got the v2 and it is much better to my ear. Obviously that doesn't mean much as I have all these pedals yet my ds1 is still as good haha.

chupe442

Confused as ever.....
Reaction score
Funny I have the same problem,
I've had a metal zone since I was 15 years old used to think it was the coolest thing ever :) but then I grew up. I currently have in my possession a MXR fullbore metal, DS 1 that I moded with a fromel kit off ebay. I have built a Rat PROCal, a Tube Screamer, a boneyard, and a Dirty little secret, and most recently a vintage fuzz, and depending on my mood I don't like any of them. I think im gonna order up a mod kit for my metal zone haha

Hardwire TL-2 for your MetalZone needs.. I went through the MetalZone phase and eventually tried a couple of different mods on mine. RHust suggested the Hardwire TL-2. I found one on Reverb for like 35.00 shipped. I cant explain the difference but have been pretty happy for the last year or so when the mood calls for it..

rhys1157

Reaction score
I think my fav pedal is the archer overdrive. Through a dimed 45 it's so clear and low noise. Crisp overdrive that sounds like the amp 100%.

OverDrivenGtr

Reaction score
Nice collection. Lots of good ones in there. Where would you rate the Tim Pierce OD? Maybe in comparison to the Archer & Simble, since its your top and also because I own both as well. But I've had my eyes on the TP for a while also.

rhys1157

Reaction score
It's good however it has a 'power amp' section which is essentially a boost which I don't really like. It's muddy to me. I much prefer the archer. It's one of those pedals which is good but not 'the one' to me

Victek

Reaction score
But I do have the same problem, I can't tell if any of them sound good haha

Yeah, it's funny how that is :) Along these lines there's a video on Youtube of a 10 OD pedal shootout where I can barely hear any difference when the pedals are switched. Anyway, if you need a couple more I would recommend the Bad Monkey and the Hardwire CM2. I have them and the Monkey in particular sounds killer with my PRS SE plugged into a Frontman 65R. :thumb:

Marshall & Moonshine

Reaction score
I bought the FD2 years ago to do different things to the amp, depending on which guitar I had with me. The Strat can use the mid bump, but it sounds stupid with the LP so With that one, I use it in Flat Mid mode.
If the amp is cooking and the mix is loud, I can use the CompCut which adds a ton of vibrancy to the sound. CompCut into a wound-up 2204 with PAF neck pup is something pretty special. CompCut can also be used to brighten up a dark sound, set to unity volume.
It's the only OD pedal I've needed or wanted for probably almost 10yrs now, unless treble booster and fuzz pedal counts.
I have one of each and I'm happy.
EL34's and a 6v6 make me happier than any pedal ever will, but I like the flavor the add sometimes.

coldengray

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I have never gotten on with an overdrive pedal. To me it makes the most sense to get my overdrive from the amp. Now, keep in mind I don't gig so I don't need a ton of versatility at my disposal. I do enjoy my Stomp Under Foot Ram's Head '71 Big Muff clone.

I did go through a phase of trying a bunch of dirt pedals...Timmy, Prince of Tone, Mythical Overdrive Klone, Beano Boost, Tubescreamer clone, etc. The only that really stuck with me was the Timmy.

Latest Threads