Overarm (i.e., Pin) Router

Ganorin

Reaction score
I will most probably use epoxy, so I expect no problem with the end grain...do you have any tipps for me what to avoid?
Perhaps we should continue the discussion in the puzzle bass thread, so not to hijack this thread...

'59_Standard

Banned
Reaction score
lol I'm asking if it will be an issue - my experience of that is nada. :)

schoeftinger

Reaction score
Hi folks,

since this thread seems to be back in businesss, I have a question to you pin-router users. :)

What kind of bits do you use for body and cavity routings?
Browsing the web I've seen a lot of options, but I wonder if it would be best to simply use a down-cut bit for everything...

@Ganorin
I really dig your pin router! - Fesches Teil!
Would you mind PMing me where you got that beast and at what price? - They're hard to come by these days in Europe...

cheers,
-Tom

Ganorin

Reaction score
Servus Tom
I use spiral cut bits, since they make the nicest and cleanest cut (for me)

Hi folks,

since this thread seems to be back in businesss, I have a question to you pin-router users. :)

What kind of bits do you use for body and cavity routings?
Browsing the web I've seen a lot of options, but I wonder if it would be best to simply use a down-cut bit for everything...

@Ganorin
I really dig your pin router! - Fesches Teil!
Would you mind PMing me where you got that beast and at what price? - They're hard to come by these days in Europe...

cheers,
-Tom

sycomore

Reaction score
Hello,

In France, Shop Fox is not imported and we haven't the same thing in a other brand. The only resolution to have this item, it's to order it in USA.

But when i'm see on google, i found 2 SF overarm router :
- G0587
- W1736

I'don't understand the difference beetween this 2 items.

Who can explain the difference ?

Thank you in advance,

Philippe

sycomore

Reaction score
Thank you '59, i undestand now.

@Ganorin : when i was woodworker, my boss had a SCM R9 : 700kg, 2m x 1m x 1m. vs SF : 30kg, 0.7m x 0.7m x 0.5m

I have a small workshop.

So, in Europe, we found overhead routers but only big machines, no small machines like the SF.

ccreddell

Reaction score
Heres a couple videos showing how someone is using their pin router in guitar making...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXQfB2GdKDk&list=FLycdW8lXjrwTLoRhBFnTd0Q&index=12&feature=plpp_video]Ryan Martin's Neck Carving Jig. - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLU0TYPK80w&list=FLycdW8lXjrwTLoRhBFnTd0Q&index=11&feature=plpp_video]Ryan Martin's Fretboard Radius Jig. Part 1. - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENnLQkUeo9o&list=FLycdW8lXjrwTLoRhBFnTd0Q&index=10&feature=plpp_video]Ryan Martin's Fretboard Radius Jig. Part 2. - YouTube[/ame]

TKOjams

Reaction score
:shock:

Thats all i got..

i mean i seen marquetry puzzle TOPS... but never a whole guitar body.... :shock:

that needs a thread of its own

there's a thread around here somewhere of this build.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0X0NN4Kejpw&feature=plcp]Grinding the glued puzzle to an even thickness - YouTube[/ame]

Dougie

Reaction score
I use spiral 2 flute cutters for most everything I do, both upcut and downcut. Pearloid pickguard material like the old celluloid acetate will catch fire and throw chunks of violently burning material in many directions if you use a cutter that traps the shavings. I use an upcut for that 100% of the time so it evacuates the shavings from the cutting bit.

EagleOnyx

Reaction score
Celluloid will also catch fire if you use the wrong blade on a scroll saw when cutting inlays from a sheet! lol

timsledge

Reaction score
if you ever want to sell the shop fox you have let me know thanks

timsledge

Reaction score
why do you have the hinges on the jig? is this jig also serving the purpose of another part of the build serving as another jig like two in one?

pinefd

V.I.P. Member
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
why do you have the hinges on the jig? is this jig also serving the purpose of another part of the build serving as another jig like two in one?

It just allows me to use the one jig for different angles, like for routing the neck pocket/neck plane, pickup plane, or flat, for example. Plus, those angles may change depending on what size build I'm working on, and what the neck angle is on that particular guitar.

Frank

timsledge

Reaction score
oh ok sorry had a brain fart here. thats a great idea! Thanks!
and i found a shop fox and also a bosch which are the same machine. any tips on the shop fox? and how do you get the template to line up with the body you're routing with the angle i saw you using a pattern bit in one photo but if I'm not using a pattern for instance on the neck and pu routes how do i line up bottom temple and top routing with angled jig?

45WinMag

Reaction score
Does anyone know what bit Ryan Martin is using with the neck carving jig in the video? I was looking at a 1" roundover, but his looks "flatter" for lack of a better description. His almost looks like a thumbnail bit adjusted so the top of the bit doesn't make an edge.

Latest Threads