Output Transformer Question

Duane24

Reaction score
i think you guys make too many hair splitting threads on tone. Humidity, transformers etc etc.

get out and play guys

Duane24

Reaction score
And your reading it?:laugh2:

Thanks for the worthless post.

i glance. but this one, just like a lot of these threads are just too much for me. You guys are breaking stuff down too much. Go out and enjoy music! My post isn't worthless, it might be the most worth while thing here, why are you here, for the love of making music, not over analyzing every aspect of tone.

Lyle Caldwell

Reaction score
By that logic you don't need that Les Paul man. And Duane didn't need to get so uptight about Coricidin bottles.

onioner

Reaction score
...why are you here, for the love of making music, not over analyzing every aspect of tone.

Naw, I'm here to over analyze every aspect of tone. My love of making music needs no internet at all.

Quill

Reaction score
i glance. but this one, just like a lot of these threads are just too much for me...

Duane24, this is uncharacteristically ungenerous of you - irrepressible blackface fanatic that you are - obsessive tonefreak that you are - don't try to deny it - not like you at all, must have caught a bug or something, just a moment of crankiness - I'm going to forget all about it.

I always feel like there's another party involved, when I'm playing an electric guitar - I swear sometimes, it's the electricity, playing along somehow - and I'm interested in every detail about how and where that electrical energy comes to meet me that I can learn about. I mean, transformers ... most people who start learning a little about these things find them very, very interesting.

It's fun - it's like great painters who developed into amazing artists because they liked the smell of paint, and started from that one small thing ... had more than one conversation with a great painter who was in the midst of producing this huge, unspeakable, almost unthinkable statement - but on or in the level of communicable language, was thinking most intensely about, and was able to talk about in very animated ways, the pigments and such in his blues ...

Anyway, I like these fine details.

rocknhorse1

Reaction score
The output transformer is not splitting hairs. It is one of the most impirtant parts of your amp, and how it works with the rest of the design of the amp, is a reflection of whether or not we "like" an amp.

There are people on this board that don't play much, and build amps more. Telling them that what they consider imprtant is "splitting" hairs is pretty one dimensional thinking.

Do you swap pickups in a guitar? same thing,, but more pronounced, as Quill has said. Duane tore out that bridge pickup to put in the 58, right? Same thing.

I have an amp that I think the OT isn't doing what it should. I am not sure, so I am trying to figure out how to go about finding the truth. As well as that, how to choose a new one if I do so.

Hey man, if you don't dig it, thats cool. But don't come into my thread and try to belittle it. If you want to play, go play. I want to learn about output transformers..

If you don't think a transformer is important, take the one out of your amp, and put the cheapest one you can find in, then tell me we are splitting hairs. I paid a lot of money for my amps, and they need to work.

Matty

Reaction score
Don't worry too much about Duane, he's just goofin' off during some "not playing" time.
He's not learning much is all. Each to their own.

Duane24

Reaction score
yes, a bit dickish of me, apologies for the derailing, I enjoy all of your input. i was grumpy last night.

sometimes i just feel people split hairs on this forum when discussing tiny little aspects, i suppose this isn't so much that.

probably has to do with my simplistic view on things.

Discuss all day, but tone is in your hands, its in your attack, in your approach you can give me and (insert your favorite player here) the same equipment, and i may know all their songs, but they'll sound like them and i'll sound like me.

now, return to the output transformers.

rocknhorse1

Reaction score
yes, a bit dickish of me, apologies for the derailing, I enjoy all of your input. i was grumpy last night.

sometimes i just feel people split hairs on this forum when discussing tiny little aspects, i suppose this isn't so much that.

probably has to do with my simplistic view on things.

Discuss all day, but tone is in your hands, its in your attack, in your approach you can give me and (insert your favorite player here) the same equipment, and i may know all their songs, but they'll sound like them and i'll sound like me.

now, return to the output transformers.

Apology accepted :thumb:

Latest Threads