OUTBACK Disturbance

Who

I'm back. Back in the New York groove.
Reaction score
I disagree. Pasta with a tomato sauce is only so good. Beyond box pasta and Prego, the differences become minimal. Because.... how good can even the best pasta and tomato sauce really be?

It’s like the people who argue about “good” chili versus Burger King chili. It’s chili.... whatever.

But, I’d rather go to Golden Corral than Jean-Georges. And when I go to Outback, I never order steak.

northernguitarguy

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
I disagree. Pasta with a tomato sauce is only so good. Beyond box pasta and Prego, the differences become minimal. Because.... how good can even the best pasta and tomato sauce really be?

It’s like the people who argue about “good” chili versus Burger King chili. It’s chili.... whatever.

But, I’d rather go to Golden Corral than Jean-Georges. And when I go to Outback, I never order steak.
It goes waaaaay beyond tomato sauce. And what kind? Marinara, Arrabiata, Bolognese?

James R

Reaction score
All it took was the LOOK with my daughter when we were out.
There is a time for playing around and a time to be well behaved.
She got it right about 80% of the time..
I remember ignoring the look once, from my dad, in a grocery store.
Notice I said “once”?
That day I learned that a swift backhand was about fifteen seconds behind the look, should I decide that I wanted it. :laugh2:

Tone deaf

Reaction score
Since we are on this tangent, in my book the deciding factor on whether food is good or not is the same as my rule of thumb for wine [beer, cigars, and lots of other shit], is "do you like it?" If the answer is "Yes" it is good. Price plays no role in my methodology.

I have had dried pasta primavera out of a foil pack, on the banks of a river in the Alaskan wilderness and it was better than a filet mignon at the Palm. The best drink I ever had was a glass of Tia Maria (coffee flavored liquor)

I had with my dad, after we had dragged our canoe though a long bog and over a huge rock formation into a remote beaver pond...and then the skies opened up and pissed on us for 48 hours as we hung out in a dilapidated 150 year old cabin.

Fiat Lux

Reaction score
Since we are on this tangent, in my book the deciding factor on whether food is good or not is the same as my rule of thumb for wine [beer, cigars, and lots of other shit], is "do you like it?" If the answer is "Yes" it is good. Price plays no role in my methodology.

I have had dried pasta primavera out of a foil pack, on the banks of a river in the Alaskan wilderness and it was better than a filet mignon at the Palm. The best drink I ever had was a glass of Tia Maria (coffee flavored liquor)

I had with my dad, after we had dragged our canoe though a long bog and over a huge rock formation into a remote beaver pond...and then the skies opened up and pissed on us for 48 hours as we hung out in a dilapidated 150 year old cabin.
Wisdom, right there...

That's my response to which wine goes best with which food. In my world, the best wine match for the food you ar eating is the wine you have on hand.

cheers

Tone deaf

Reaction score
As for the best past you've ever had, make your own, toss it with some chopped tomatoes, garlic and olive oil (maybe a sprig of basil) and enjoy. A little old lady in Florence taught me this, when I was 17. She'd hang it over the kitchen chairs to let it dry. I have yet to find better pasta.

Who

I'm back. Back in the New York groove.
Reaction score
It goes waaaaay beyond tomato sauce. And what kind? Marinara, Arrabiata, Bolognese?
That’s like saying “brand of beer” makes a difference. They start and end by being beer. From best to worst, they are still beer.

A so called great tomato sauce can only be marginally different than Little Caesar’s Crazy Bread sauce.

Unless you’re a corksniffer. And we all know how they get treated around here. ;)

This thread is making me realize what a Philistine I am! :rofl:

MSB

Reaction score
That’s like saying “brand of beer” makes a difference. They start and end by being beer. From best to worst, they are still beer.

A so called great tomato sauce can only be marginally different than Little Caesar’s Crazy Bread sauce.

Unless you’re a corksniffer. And we all know how they get treated around here. ;)

This thread is making me realize what a Philistine I am! :rofl:
I'm not sure Philistines would look into water filtration systems.

LtDave32

Desert Star Guitars
Super Mod
Premium Member
Reaction score
I used to work at an Olive Garden and there were people who believed they were eating fine, Italian cooking. I wanted to take them to the kitchen where it got about as creative as opening a jar of Ragu and microwaving frozen 'entrees'.
Wait.... Olive Garden isn’t fine dining?

But they have wine bottles as decoration. And drinks come in a glass with no logo. I thought for sure it was fine dining.
Now this, I've got me a gripe. Olive Garden.

I've been there a total of three times, all three different locations. Two in CA, one in Houston, TX.

Never, ever again.

I'm trying to have dinner with family, and in TX, dinner with friends. Both places, we were BLITZKRIEGED with interrupting sales jockeys trying to up our bill with extras. They just blurted their pitch, regardless if we were on a punchline of a joke, a pivot point in a story or any of it. We couldn't even start a conversation without it being destroyed by some jello-haired muppet shoving a bottle of wine in our faces. "Would you like a nice Chianti ? How about a white Zinfandel to go with that salad? " Then literally ten seconds or less later, " Helllllooooo, who's up for some sauteed mushrooms??!!? " They would NOT SHUT UP. They would not stop coming. They would not stop SELLING.

Finally, I had enough. At the last one, I let them have it both barrels. I said to the last hard-sell buttbreath to interrupt us, "I've been to the Olive Garden three times now. Every damn time, we cannot even begin a conversation without your staff butting in to our good time to sell us something we didn't ask for. And you never quit. You don't care that you're stepping on our good time. You just want to pad the bill up with every extra on the menu. Now you will leave us alone and not bother us again, except to bring us the bill for what we ordered, and we want that bill pronto. Then you will not bother us again. Am I clear?"

Contrary to popular belief, I am a really nice and gentle fellow when I'm off the job here on MLP. The nicest guy you'd ever meet. Just ask those here who have met me IRL. But I do have an eccentricity. I will not take crap from people. Not when I'm paying for it. And if something gets ridiculous, I usually have the patience to steel it through. But when something goes way beyond ridiculous into unbelievable territory, I nut-up. I hear a lot of ex-service folks are like that. We are just not geared to tolerate a stupid situation.

Crotch

Triggered
Platinum Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score