OUTBACK Disturbance

pnuggett

Reaction score
I get the whole special needs empathy but where do you draw the line. Is it ok to disturb people paying to have dinner in some measure of peace.
I say no. When me and my sisters were kids my parents would take us to dinner with the warning that if we didn't behave we would have to go sit in the car. I understand this kid can't help it but does that give the parents a right to disturb others?
What do you say?

JonCanfield

Reality is over rated
Platinum Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
When our kids were little we went to a restaurant for dinner and they both were throwing a fit - my daughter because she didn't want to sit in a high chair, my son because he wanted to go somewhere else. She's crying, he's pouting with his head on his hands when his chair goes out from under him, hits the table behind us.
We grabbed the kids and left. We heard applause on the way out.

bilbarstow

Premium Member
Reaction score
My wife would be like "Burn the child ! 1 !" - she hates being seated anywhere near children of any kind.

I'm a little more empathetic. I recognize that those parents probably only get 1 night out very infrequently, and they probably have no choice but to take their child (as care may not be available for the child). I can handle a little disruption to my meal, occasionally, and would want to be charitable to those parents.

northernguitarguy

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
Tough one, but I side with the family should eat take-out until the little guy can handle himself. Also, the boy isn't autistic, where I might have a little more sympathy. He was just being loud, but could learn to behave himself for a meal out.

Regardless, if you think this is bad, you should check out your kids' classrooms. Many students and teachers have to deal with constant disruptions from students with special needs.

Shred Astaire

Reaction score
You're not guaranteed a quiet meal when you go for dinner with 60+ other people in a restaurant. Ain't no contract that states that.

I did like some of you with my kid when she was a toddler and not able to behave well in a restaurant. We left. But she was just a kid without any disabilities and i knew she would learn. We stopped going out for dinner for a good 6 months because of it.

Maybe this kid can't control the volume of his voice. It's funny when Austin Powers does it, but admittedly, annoying in a restaurant coming from a kid. Imagine NEVER being able to go out for dinner because someone can't deal with an hour of noise, where those parents have to deal with it every day.

We have no more empathy and don't seem to give a shit about what others are going through.

It's a tough call though...I used to get pissed until I had my own kid. And now I just think....I'm going home soon and that kid not coming with me. I'm good.

Bill Hicklin

Reaction score
You're not guaranteed a quiet meal when you go for dinner with 60+ other people in a restaurant. Ain't no contract that states that.
Um, there is an implied warranty of quiet enjoyment. If a couple of guys start behaving like the Blues Brothers, the management has every right - indeed, an implied duty - to ask them to quiet down or leave.

Shred Astaire

Reaction score
Um, there is an implied warranty of quiet enjoyment. If a couple of guys start behaving like the Blues Brothers, the management has every right - indeed, an implied duty - to ask them to quiet down or leave.
There is no contract. And the Blues Brothers are very different from a toddler with a speech disability.

People are shit.

Who

I'm back. Back in the New York groove.
Reaction score
It’s a friggin’ Outback. If you complain about noise of children, you’re a bit of a tool.

The manager shoulda asked the complainer to leave, told the family with the kid the story, and asked her to post the story on InstaFaceChat.

Shred Astaire

Reaction score
It’s a friggin’ Outback. If you complain about noise of children, you’re a bit of a tool.

The manager shoulda asked the complainer to leave, told the family with the kid the story, and asked her to post the story on InstaFaceChat.
Yep. I could understand it more if it were a fine dining joint....but the Outback. You're expecting a nice, quiet meal? :)

northernguitarguy

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
Yep. I could understand it more if it were a fine dining joint....but the Outback. You're expecting a nice, quiet meal? :)
I used to work at an Olive Garden and there were people who believed they were eating fine, Italian cooking. I wanted to take them to the kitchen where it got about as creative as opening a jar of Ragu and microwaving frozen 'entrees'.

Who

I'm back. Back in the New York groove.
Reaction score
Wait.... Olive Garden isn’t fine dining?

But they have wine bottles as decoration. And drinks come in a glass with no logo. I thought for sure it was fine dining.

Brians Evil Twin

Poophoria Sōtō Zen
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
There are two kinds of people: Those who've had kids, and those who have not.

If you've had 'em, you tend to be a little more empathetic.

If you haven't, you tend to have no patience for children.

I know I didn't, but then I grew up.

Bigfoot410

Premium Member
Reaction score
I get bent when I see a table of otherwise quiet people eating, but lack what I deem normal table manners. I saw a whole family of "troughers" (extremely obese people who belly up to the food trough every 45 minutes through the day) chewing their cud with their mouths open. They need punched in the mouth. Grosses me out.

I coined that phrase "Troughers". So send me royalties if you're going to use it please. :)

45WinMag

Reaction score
So unless you are able to afford an upper tier restaurant, you don't deserve a meal without disruptions? For some people, a chain steakhouse is a rare treat that they have to save to enjoy. I can understand that a pricey French bistro should be more quiet by comparison, but there is a huge difference between the ambient noise (music and conversation) of a chain restaurant and someone creating a disturbance. No diner paying hard earned money (regardless of how lowbrow someone considers their dining experience) should have to endure a disturbance.