Out of Phase Question... (sorry another one)

plecoman

Reaction score
SO much interest nowadays in these PG style PUs so maybe someone could help. I got a 2nd hand pair of humbuckers, installed them, and found that the middle position sounds "odd". It is quieter then other B or N on its own. However, if I rolled one of the volumes down on the LP, the middle position gains power, and sound louder, more usable and kind of nasaly...

I was wondering, is this how out of phase sounds? I have a feeling I bought a Pair of humbuckers that were out of phase wihout knowing.

lp59aholicDon

V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
SO much interest nowadays in these PG style PUs so maybe someone could help. I got a 2nd hand pair of humbuckers, installed them, and found that the middle position sounds "odd". It is quieter then other B or N on its own. However, if I rolled one of the volumes down on the LP, the middle position gains power, and sound louder, more usable and kind of nasaly...

I was wondering, is this how out of phase sounds? I have a feeling I bought a Pair of humbuckers that were out of phase wihout knowing.

The out of phase should happen any time the two volume knobs are close to the same volume in the middle selector position, otherwise it should sound rather normal , from my past experience with this and talkin to Jim Wagner of WRC Pickups

plecoman

Reaction score
in Middle position, wen the 2 PU are the same Volume (Ie full), it sounds thinner, lower output. A lot like the 2nd and 4th position on strats. I guess I probably have out of phase? Otherwise I cant explain my situation!

dwagar

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
yes, it will sound slightly quieter and more treble. I think when you roll one volume off a touch, the other pickup just takes over, hence the boost in volume.

I think most guys prefer the normal setup to out of phase.

greenalbatross

Reaction score
Your pickups are most certainly out of phase. Either your hot and ground wires are reversed, or one of the magnets is reversed. Just swap the hot and ground wires or flip one of the magnets(won't matter which one). Lowering the volume of the neck pickup should emphasize the bridge pickup and vice versa. Both volume pots equal should give you a hollow, thin, nasally tone with a slight volume drop. Personally, I can't do without it. All of my humbucker guitars have both pickups out of phase. Never really found any use for the normal middle position. So much more variety with the middle out of phase.

Latest Threads