Out-Of-Phase Quack

Brazilnut

Reaction score
The last two Humbucker sets I wired into two Les Pauls--a Class 5 and a Corsa Manalishi--have sounded out of phase-nasal- in the middle position. Both guitars have 50s harnesses in them, and both pickup sets were bought used. What am I doing wrong? I'm soldering them to the first lug of the volume pot, like usual. The switch wire and cap wire are soldered to the second lug, like usual. What gives? Could BOTH sets have a flipped magnet???

Help!

Dazza

Reaction score
If these pickups have only 2 conductor braided wire, and you hooked them up the same then the only option is they have flipped magnets. It's very easy to loosen the baseplate screws and flip 1 magnet to test. It just takes a few minutes. The combined tone is very obvious when OOP.

Daz

Brazilnut

Reaction score
What about the tape? Which end has access to the magnet? Do I flip it end-for-end?

DarrellV

Proud Member of the Golden Switch Tip Club
Premium Member
Reaction score
What about the tape? Which end has access to the magnet? Do I flip it end-for-end?
The poles of the magnet are on the sides where they touch the screws and slugs. End over will do nothing.

Flip magnet sideways to switch the north and south poles of the magnet to the opposite side.

Loosen 4 screws

Slide magnet out by pushing with a small screwdriver.

Flip magnet and slide back in. Notice how mine has an 'N' for north facing the screw bobbin? It was backwards when I put it in the first time.

Corrected! Now 'N' faces the slug bobbin.

Tape it up, tighten the screws, and have at it!

Brazilnut

Reaction score
I still don't understand which way to flip the magnet. Do I flip it flat top to flat bottom, or do I flip it end-for-end? Sorry to be so obtuse!

Roxy13

Reaction score
The long side flips. The poles are on the long sides, not the short ones. So the top of the magnet will now be the bottom.

ARandall

Reaction score
There are any number of correct ways to flip it.
All you need to do is focus on the result......that the long side contacting the screws now contacts the slugs - as was shown in Darrel's post.

Latest Threads