Out of hibernation - Yamaha SG3000s

filtersweep

Reaction score
Outstanding!

Had a SG2000 years ago and it was easily the heaviest guitar I ever owned.

Bought it for $200 and sold it for $900 in 2000. Gold plating on bridge and pickups was pitted but somebody got a sweet guitar.

The SG'S were one of the first attempts from overseas to go after the high end U.S. market.

I have the book below published in 1982. (Very highly recommended) Couple pages feature a SG.

Thanks for sharing that beauty and bringing back memories.

View attachment 292970 View attachment 292971
OMG- I have/had that book- in the 80s.

wildhawk1

Reaction score
OMG- I have/had that book- in the 80s.

Yep, I spent many hours looking through it after the guitar bug bit me.

Very well written. You can tell alot of time was spent creating it. Checking it appears the last update was 1992. It probably seems a bit dated without newer electronic tech since then but IMHO one of the best books a serious all things guitar player can have on their bookshelf.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0679742751/?tag=mylespaul04-20

DLRG

Reaction score
Yep, I spent many hours looking through it after the guitar bug bit me.

Very well written. You can tell alot of time was spent creating it. Checking it appears the last update was 1992. It probably seems a bit dated without newer electronic tech since then but IMHO one of the best books a serious all things guitar player can have on their bookshelf.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0679742751/?tag=mylespaul04-20

Thanks for the heads-up Windhawk1, just bought a copy.

wildhawk1

Reaction score
Thanks for the heads-up Windhawk1, just bought a copy.

When I went to Amazon to see if it was still available I quickly skimmed reviews going back about five years and noticed almost nothing but five star reviews.

Hopefully you'll enjoy it as much as I did thirty years ago.

If so maybe post a thread so others know about it. The SG3000 one took a slight derail.

DLRG

Reaction score
@Blues_Verne

I also have a 1978 SG1000. Here's a picture of the 1000 & 3000s together

MfG

2 Yams.jpg

PAPADON

Reaction score
Yamaha and Ibanez Japan from the 70's and 80's. Gibson and other USA makers have never in their entire history offered anything in their league and almost certainly never will. If you own one you know and if you don't then you should be looking for one.

1983 Ibanez Artist AM 205.
1638312960589.png

wildhawk1

Reaction score
Yamaha and Ibanez Japan from the 70's and 80's. Gibson and other USA makers have never in their entire history offered anything in their league and almost certainly never will. If you own one you know and if you don't then you should be looking for one.

View attachment 574932

It's interesting that much like the Honda, Toyota, and Mazda invasion from Japan in the 80's guitar manufacturers Yamaha and Ibanez also sent a clear message they were here to shake things up.

Consumers benefited as they were no longer stuck substandard offerings down at the ma & pa shop music stores (or car dealerships).

PAPADON

Reaction score
It's interesting that much like the Honda, Toyota, and Mazda invasion from Japan in the 80's guitar manufacturers Yamaha and Ibanez also sent a clear message they were here to shake things up.

Consumers benefited as they were no longer stuck substandard offerings down at the ma & pa shop music stores (or car dealerships).

:dude:

guidothepimmp

Reaction score

View attachment 574932
Gorgeous, i have a 78 2619 artist. Very nice

01GT Eibach

Reaction score
... It's interesting that much like the Honda, Toyota, and Mazda invasion from Japan in the 80's guitar manufacturers Yamaha and Ibanez also sent a clear message they were here to shake things up ...
Also Nissan/Datsun -- The Datsun 280Z (and 280ZX) was a killer car back in 1980 for cheaper than many American much lesser "sporty" offerings. The Ibanez Artist were excellent guitars and priced less than a Gibson SG, let alone a Les Paul. That being said, the Gibson guitars of the time were nice guitars, just much more expensive than the nice Ibanez ones.

SWeAT hOg

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score

I’d add Pioneer, Toshiba, JVC, Hitachi, et al. I have a ‘74 Pioneer amp and it’s still going strong, all original parts.

Southwest

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Friend of mine had an SG1000 back in the early 80s. Beautiful guitar. My journey with MIJ started in the mid 80s and went from a Roadstar (first step up from outright copies) to an Aria (weird multiple pickup switching) to a Jem (horrible colour but what a neck!). Then a gorgeous Love Rock that I still own today.

Can't agree more about Japanese electronic goods from that time. Great quality, great value.

truckermde

Reaction score
Jeepers, of course, and obviously MIJ Yamaha stereo equipment was fantastic. Same with Sony. An era of excellence in electronics.
IME, if it says Yamaha on it, it's excellent.

Yamaha always offers bang-for-buck value, and I've never regretted anything I've ever bought from them.

My <$500 5 string BB bass with an asymmetric neck is BY FAR the best playing/sounding 5 string I've ever played, and I've played many, and even owned Music Man...

I get weak in the knees for those Yammy SGs...

Latest Threads