Our riding mower has fallen apart.

Alligatorbling

หัวเราะดังลั่น
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Today after I mowed our yard and the house next doors yard, as I was riding back to the garage our riding mower collapsed. Luckily I had mowed everything, front yards, back yards, sides. (Its a LOT of grass to mow) if it had to die at least I got everything mowed. Mechanically it's been on its last leg, it's over 20 years old probably. It takes a long time to start. It clicks but wont engage. The alignment is way off, it cuts poorly, ect. Iets just say it's got issues.

So anyways I was riding back to the garage when i heard a clunk, then the steering wheel wouldn't work. The deck started dragging the ground too. I got off and pulled on the steering wheel and it and the steering column pulled completely out. I'm sure its fixable but it would only be a matter of time before it had some other kind of issue.

I told dad I'd go half and half with him if he wanted to get a really nice mower.

Hes been talking about getting a new one for a while now. ... at least we are in a spot where we can afford to buy one, which is a blessing. Dad usually mows the grass (he really does enjoy it) but with his broken foot, hes unable to.

Maybe we will get one of those zero turns. They are sweet.

Last edited:

JTM45

Premium Member
Reaction score
Dang man, good on you helping out your dad and the neighbor Ryan, we looked at a zero turn but haven’t pulled the trigger yet

Alligatorbling

หัวเราะดังลั่น
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Yeah I'm trying to do as much for him as possible. The house next door is vacant. It belonged to my grandparents.

Tone deaf

Reaction score
Keep your eyes peled on CL. Find a used machine. Have a qualified mechanic check it out, before handing over the money.

Tone deaf

Reaction score
Back in the day (circa '98) I was looking at a two acre lawn. I wanted to cut it myself and a reasonable mower to do the job was a Skag and clocked in at $4,500. Before I could pull the trigger, a guy rang my doorbell and told me that he would cut my grass for $35 a week.

NRBQ

Reaction score
I hate mowing my lawn, hate yard work in general, buying a home didn't turn me into Hank Hill that's for sure. I have a push mower and it takes about 40 minutes to complete the whole yard. I started today at 6AM on the dot, it's best to get the job done early before the heat comes and takes over. I'll do the back yard and then take a break to cool off and stop sweating, then before I lose my will I do the front and then the nightmare is over. It's always a great feeling to get it all done though.

Side Burns

Reaction score
Back in the day (circa '98) I was looking at a two acre lawn. I wanted to cut it myself and a reasonable mower to do the job was a Skag and clocked in at $4,500. Before I could pull the trigger, a guy rang my doorbell and told me that he would cut my grass for $35 a week.
Made me think of this commercial.
“Boom, your a burger” lol

QuicksilverSS

Silver Supporter
Reaction score
We just got a new Toro 50 inch Zero turn, up from a Toro 42 inch. V Twin engine and wider deck cut me from 3 hours down to two hours of mowing. Now if I could find an easier way to weed eat around the pond.....

Uncle Remus

Reaction score
You can spend a shit ton of money. Before you buy I would evaluate your needs. I almost went zero turn and dropped about 5k, then I thought damn I've been using a 30 inch snapper for years. Most tractor styles are made by the same companies with a different name on the side. I ended up with a craftsman 210 tractor style with a 5 inch turn radius that really is close to a zero turn for $1699. The main thing is the motors. The deer and husqvarna had briggs and the craftsman had Kohler. I prefer Kawasaki, then kohler, and briggs last. I'm sure they will all serve you fine, just my preference.

Tone deaf

Reaction score
I do use chems. on some parts but don't want to kill the grass on the dam and some areas.
I used to use an aquaticide and a herbicide to manage my ponds and surrounding areas. I used the same stuff that was used in drinking water reservoirs. Crystal clear water and manageable surrounding greens.

Alligatorbling

หัวเราะดังลั่น
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Dad ended up getting a cub cadet. It's a tractor not a zero turn. I took it for a spin around the yard to figure out how everything works. A friend of the family went and got it for us. It's a NICE mower, waaaaaay better than our old one. (That said the one we had before lasted over 20 years) this cub is built like a tank, I'm impressed with it. I'll report back after the first mow (probably this sunday)

Bobby Mahogany

Reaction score
Dad ended up getting a cub cadet. It's a tractor not a zero turn. I took it for a spin around the yard to figure out how everything works. A friend of the family went and got it for us. It's a NICE mower, waaaaaay better than our old one. (That said the one we had before lasted over 20 years) this cub is built like a tank, I'm impressed with it. I'll report back after the first mow (probably this sunday)
I prefer tractors to zero turns.
Tractors can be multi-tasks.
:thumb:

Bobby Mahogany

Reaction score
Public Service Announcement!

Wear ear (and eye too, by the way!) protection when mowing the lawn.
Whether you're pushing a piece of shit or sitting on the latest zero turn model,
these things make noise. It's not that apparent at first but most of us are on these
things for one to two hours and our hearing gets damaged slowly.

Same for snowblowers. I wear ear protection every time.

:thumb:

bilbarstow

Premium Member
Reaction score
Congrats on the new Cub. My dealer sells them as well as Ferris. I have the Ferris (which I enthusiastically endorse !), as well as a full Kubota Tractor with Mower deck and other farm tools. My total mowing runs about 9 acres, so I really need the big machines.

Bobby's message above is absolutely the truth. I wear a Noise-cancelling headset, as well as eye protection when I mow, and it has been necessary for protection. It also is far less fatiguing to cancel the majority of the noise.

KTM

Reaction score
Bling, what model Cub Cadet did he get? I'm a life long Cub Cadet fan, I have several that were built in the 1960s. My main use tractor, up until last year, (Due to shoulder injury I had to buy a newer tractor with hydraulic lift ) was a 1968 Cub Cadet model 125. I have a 1969 Cub Cadet model 125 that my parents bought new that I'm in process of refurbishing. My oldest is 1962 Cub Cadet "Original" that I refurbished. Photo below of it last summer doing a little landscaping with it.

1962 Cub Cadet.jpg