OTPG pickup question

GySgtFTL

Reaction score
I know at one time there was a big secret about who guy was and questions about his health, etc.
I do know who the guy is and I know about his reproductions work, violin work and so forth.
My question is whether or not he is still winding pups. I believe he took a hiatus from all guitar work for a while due to health issues. That said though, I've also heard rumors that he is feeling better and still winds pickups sometimes for close acquaintances and friends; Obviously I am niether. But if he is still winding perhaps some of those winds could end up on the market at sometime. So I was simply wondering if anyone knows the real deal with BK aka OTPG?

scovell001

Reaction score
A while back I think I searched through this very forum on the subject. I 'think' as I recall, the specs of the otpg pickups went to Spence of Shed pickups (now gone) & I believe I also read that what is now Wizz pickups bought some & I specualte that these (& his continued research) led to his product offerings today.

So in short, whilst I cant directly answer your question, the consensus seemed to be that they were the start of a movement to highend boutique pickups that continues to this day.

LtKojak

Reaction score
He retired from the business couple of years ago. Meaning no more OTPG.

ARandall

Reaction score
The original boutiques might have been a cut above the rest back 15 years back.
But the knowledge of the PAF has increased quite literally exponentially, meaning the exact wind can be duplicated so much more readily.
Plus the ability for the small guy to specify components that match every single aspect of vintage makes the small parts (the 1%ers) accurate too.

Its sort of like the crazy prices paid for Tom Holmes PAF clones. They are a nice pickup, but not a cut above some of the clones that go for 1/4 the price.
Of course every winder has his own 'ballpark tone', so that stays a somewhat unique aspect. But that clarity with fullness and 3D aspect to tone that real vintage pickups have is much more common now.

Quite frankly the best thing about OTPG for a while was they qualified as a legit investment option.

RAG7890

Reaction score
As stated they are no longer made & as far as I know Bharat hasn’t made any for ~ 5 years or so, probably longer.

As to how good they are compared to other options I think you would have to own a Set to really know.

There are other ways to achieve the same / similar outcome though.

Having said that there are Sets I know of just waiting for a rainy day cash in as & when required.

Lastly, finding the right PU’s for a particular Guitar involves testing numerous Sets of PU’s to achieve your desired outcome.

:cheers2:

dc007

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Its sort of like the crazy prices paid for Tom Holmes PAF clones. They are a nice pickup, but not a cut above some of the clones that go for 1/4 the price.
Truth.....I have pickups from all across the board price wise and all of them will get you some good tone. There are some better than others but the differences are going to be more of a matter personal taste and what you hear. I have yet to be told by someone listening to me play that my pickups sound good.

ARandall

Reaction score
I was very lucky to get a set of Holmes in my 75 custom......lucky in that the guitar was cheap to buy anyhow, lucky in that the T-tops I got later to put in it were cheap(er) than having to buy Holmes, and cheap in that I got to test out a set to see what they were about. They are in a 59 V clone I built and are a great match there......but I don't think any more or less of the tone than a lot of other pickups.......

grayd8

Reaction score
Lastly, finding the right PU’s for a particular Guitar involves testing numerous Sets of PU’s to achieve your desired outcome.
This has been a rough truth for me, I’ve had pickups that were too bright and harsh in one guitar be absolutely perfect in another.

ARandall

Reaction score
^ My best story has been swapping 2 sets between guitars to find they solved exactly the same symptom in both guitars......don't quite know how that works.

grayd8

Reaction score
^ My best story has been swapping 2 sets between guitars to find they solved exactly the same symptom in both guitars......don't quite know how that works.
I started giving it a try when I read that Tom Bartlett kept Ox4, Throwback and a few other vintage pickups around and used whatever sounded the best in the guitar.

I had just pulled a Ox4 low wind set that was a little to harsh in my R8, dropped them in my new SG and they were just a hair underwhelming. Swapped the A4 for A5 mags and it was just right.

jlee

Reaction score
OX4s and A5s are an awesome combo. Have a set in a Tokai LS-80. Perfect match for that guitar.

TM1

Reaction score
I put a set of ThroBak SLE-101’s in an Epiphone ES-335 Pro that had belonged to a close friend. Sadly he passed about 4 years ago but I have this to remember him.
But the Throbaks just sounded sort of just o.k. Until I installed a pair of Alnico IV magnets in them and it was a pretty significant improvement! I had replaced the pots & caps and installed a better bridge & stoptail (made by ABM in Germany)The guitar, even being just an Epiphone, sounds pretty great!
So I think different pickups & even magnets will make a difference and what sounds great in one guitar doesn’t always sound great in another.

hamerfan

Reaction score
My dream come true was a Tokai 335 with a new harness, Faber parts and BK Stormy Mondays. It was good but a bit spiky and attacky for a blues machine. Then someone gave me a Graph Tech Bridge and the graphite saddles (like the nylon ones in the 60ies) smoothed it out...

Latest Threads