Other than the headstock logo, why do Chibsons get so much hate?

LtDave32

Desert Star Guitars
Super Mod
Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
There was a Czech instrument that was actually pretty cool, and is now rather sought-after.

It goes by a few names, but one of them is Grazioso . A strat-like affair with a tight neck radius and big rocker switches.

Jimmy Page had one in his early days, and so did George Harrison in the early Beatles.

They got a bad rep by some, but I've played one , really put it throught its paces. It's actually a dang nice guitar.

Given it's pedigree, it's really hard to find these days.

TheRoadToHull

Reaction score
One good thing about Chibsons, their construction, fit and finish are usually very good. And some of their flame tops look really nice.

But ... they are FAKES.

And ... they are CRAP.

If you want to turn one into a good guitar, you can. But it means stripping out all the pickups, electronics, hardware, even the plastic, and replacing it with decent stuff. By the time you've done all that, you've probably spent more than if you'd bought a proper guitar. And you'll still own a FAKE.

To sum up, not worthy of discussion on a forum that deals with REAL guitars.

cybermgk

“Happiness is the most insidious prison of all"
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Once again, my $0.02 on this topic.

Ordering something with the actual Gibson name (or Fender, or Gretsch, whatever) is just wrong, and potentially illegal. Unless you stipulate that the guitar is buried with you, destroyed at your death, or you do so yourself, said guitar WILL be sold as a real Gibson, Fender, whatever. at some point in time. It might even be done unknowingly by inheritors, who knows. In other words, it WILL be a fake, in the market place at some point in time.

Even if you order something with another name, you are STILL supporting the same company/outfit that is also making counterfeits. YOu help them stay in business making counterfeits.

Lastly, because of whom China is, what they do, and what the CCP does with money made by these Chinese companies, I will not buy new, any guitar made there. I try for all products when poissible. Some products, it just isn't. But, guitars it is, so I do. It ultimately hurts this country and it's citizens.

FWIW, Epiphone and Squire DO make guitars outside of China, such as Indonesia.

martin H

Reaction score
There's more to it.

These guitars are awful. They are truly pieces of dung with a pretty bow wrapped around it.

I can't stand to even witness stuff like this put together.

I
I quite agree. but are they really worse the the Woolworth's "top 20" that a lot of us in the UK had to start on?

That, incidentally , was the deluxe model ! It came in a one pickup no trem version too.

LtDave32

Desert Star Guitars
Super Mod
Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I quite agree. but are they really worse the the Woolworth's "top 20" that a lot of us in the UK had to start on?

That, incidentally , was the deluxe model ! It came in a one pickup no trem version too.
I had one of those. Traded a busted surfboard for it back in the early 70s.

At least the body wood was good guitar wood (basswood) and the hardware wasn't too bad. They were better made than Chibsons.

zeneffect

Reaction score
"Other than the headstock logo, why do Chibsons get so much hate?"

Lets be 100% honest with ourselves here... EVERYONE.

Why do Chibsons get so much hate? its not the poor quality, the rip off logo, etc. The reason they get so much hate is because we have a means of communicating our opinions instantly and openly. If not for the advances in communications (internet) nobody would even know these exist until it appears in a magazine, and if it had rave reviews... perhaps the majority of people (who dont even own one) would have a different opinion?

Just some abstract food for thought.

Never owned one myself, never saw one in person, never played one, never will. Not gonna bash it though without actually having experienced one myself.

dmac in SC

Platinum Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
as to the "sub 500 dollar guitar" comment....
Absolute counterfeits are one thing..in condemnation of the Chibbies, if you can't put your own brand name on the headstock, then shame on you..

but if you disclose the facts about who you are, and folks are still willing to buy your product with YOUR brand name, even though it is an absolute copy of a Strat, Tele or LP... is it any better?

I'll put my 'reconfigured' G&L tributes up against most Fenders (or boutique, higher priced Fender copies). This would be on the criteria of sound and playability, and not on premature checker board finish decay and other such BS that sells guitars these days...

G&L is still part of the Leo Fender legacy, but is a Suhr or PRS Strat copy more ethical than the Chibbies? Yes, they put their own names on the things, but despite no other reason than a slight difference in the headstock shape, are they not absolute copies???

At least the Chibbies are not being priced at twice the value of the original.

Big Do

Reaction score
I don’t see the point in a Chibson. Anyone thinking about it should buy an Epiphone. At least you have a chance of more or less getting what you’ve paid for? You’ll certainly get something playable that can be easily upgraded.

aroomstudios

Reaction score
There are so many guitars (Les Paul, SG etc) made to much much better standard than Gibsons. Tokai, Burney, FGN etc. I have Tokais that are well over $3,000 and then cheap burnys I paid less than $200 for. Point is most of them are better than gibsons. Now a Chibson is a totally different story. If you want to spend less than $500 I would look into 80's burnys. they will blow a chibson away. Check buyee.jp you can get then real cheap over there.

Freddy G

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
In that case, I'm not quite sure what you consider to be "the point" of this thread?
The point is that Chibsons are low down and dirty, illegal, counterfeit guitars made in a country where the corrupt ruling class has no regard for intellectual property or it's theft.
That's why they are worse than Woolworth's top 20.

cybermgk

“Happiness is the most insidious prison of all"
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
"Other than the headstock logo, why do Chibsons get so much hate?"

Lets be 100% honest with ourselves here... EVERYONE.

Why do Chibsons get so much hate? its not the poor quality, the rip off logo, etc. The reason they get so much hate is because we have a means of communicating our opinions instantly and openly. If not for the advances in communications (internet) nobody would even know these exist until it appears in a magazine, and if it had rave reviews... perhaps the majority of people (who dont even own one) would have a different opinion?

Just some abstract food for thought.

Never owned one myself, never saw one in person, never played one, never will. Not gonna bash it though without actually having experienced one myself.
Chicken/egg scenario.

Without the internet, NO ONE would be able to order them either. BEING counterfeit, trade mark infringing etc, NO magazine, or legacy method of advertising would allow them to advertise them for sale (or would be court ordered to),

So, no internet, no proliferation of these fakes.

Stook

Reaction score
One good thing about Chibsons, their construction, fit and finish are usually very good. And some of their flame tops look really nice.

But ... they are FAKES.

And ... they are CRAP.

If you want to turn one into a good guitar, you can. But it means stripping out all the pickups, electronics, hardware, even the plastic, and replacing it with decent stuff. By the time you've done all that, you've probably spent more than if you'd bought a proper guitar. And you'll still own a FAKE.

To sum up, not worthy of discussion on a forum that deals with REAL guitars.
Isn't that the equivalent to removing the radiator cap and installing a new car under it? Just askin...

Breakfastime

Reaction score
If you are buying a guitar solely for the name on the headstock, then by all means buy a cheap counterfeit.

If you are buying a guitar for reasons like tone, playability, high quality materials and workmanship, or resale value,then buy the real thing.

The problem with counterfeits is that they devalue the original by casting suspicion over the whole. That, plus the fact that they are usually inferior instruments.

I have seen a couple of GREAT players play GREAT music on cheapo counterfeit axes (at blues jam type situations). Every time I witnessed this, the room was ooh-ing and ahh-ing how great the cheap guitar sounded, never stopping to think that the tone is coming from the player. Afterwards, the player in question usually dismissed the instrument as a 'toy' or 'piece of junk'. The gripes were usually directed at tone and playability of the instrument.

A great player can rise above a crummy instrument. Regular guys like me, we need all the help we can get.

Give me a real Gibson and a real Marshall any day.

Wuuthrad

Reaction score
The thought crossed my mind that the OP may have no idea what counterfeit means, and wrongly attributes it to a “boomer” mentality, since having grown up with free music, never having to buy a record or go to a show, and having been spoon fed everything via the internet, OP might just be ignorant, an “accidental” troll...

Counterfeits are bad, end of story!

Zylo

Reaction score
if they made guitars and called them anything else like chinsons, that would be fine to me.

dont use a name so close to gibson...end of

Latest Threads