Other than the headstock logo, why do Chibsons get so much hate?

Dakota

Reaction score
First of all, you don't even need to have "Gibson" written on the headstock, plus, you can get a replica out of every existing guitar, you don't need to settle for the model/finish of whatever Gibson/Epiphone offers, you just need to ask for it.

Cheers.

Dakota

Reaction score
OP, you will need to look elsewhere to get a positive response about a Chibson.

i can get getting a tokai if you arent to picky with finishes and models and arent a fan of gibson but you like the open book, but chibson offers EVERYTHING, you want a cheap rd replica? there you go, a dave grohl trini lopez es-335? you got it...

rockstar232007

Reaction score
like mostly every other sub 500 dollar guitar?
Cost/Quality aren't mutually exclusive.

One of the best guitars I've ever played, or owned (got it when I was 15, and still have it), costs $145. And, I've owned more than a few over the years.

You can spin it anyway you want, but there's absolutely no excuse to buy any counterfeit products. You want a Gibson, or any other "high-end" guitar? Do like the rest of us, and work/save for it.

Don't want to pay the higher prices? There are MANY legitimate guitar brands that make great guitars (and, yes, a lot of them sub $500).

Bottom line is, counterfeits are crap, in every sense of the word.

Last edited:

BadPenguin

Reaction score
Let's see..... let's go beyond the legalities and morals of buying a guitar meant to deceive. And I am sure the OP would NEVER buy one, then try to pass it off in the local CL as real. But as a cheap guitar, it's just that. A CHEAP guitar. MUCH closer to the sub 150 mark then the sub 500 mark. Hardware is garbage. Electronics are, yep, garbage. Fretwork and fit and finish...... come on, you know the answer here.... Good boy! Garbage.

And as to the "sub 500 dollar guitar" comment....
Ibanez JEM JR, 399. GREAT Licensed copy of a great guitar.
Ibanez AS73. 399 Stupid nice, crap switch.
Agile 3010ES Paul 499. Not a flaw.
Douglas Thin Line Tele copy. 129 So good, I sold my MIM Thinline.

And if you want to talk used prices..... 300 for a 07 Gibson Faded Studio, 400 for a 78 Gibson L6s, 150 for an Epiphone SG Pro, 300 for an Epiphone SG Custom.
So when you do that "sub 500" cork sniffing crap, think whether it's garbage like a Chibson or sewer water.

Dakota

Reaction score
Before this thread goes exactly where everyone knows it’s going to go....

Dakota, you’re right. You can spec a lot of what you might want using a Chinese custom builder who makes Chibsons.

They are either “counterfeits” or “replicas” depending on your take on legality.

The more expensive “replicas” are nothing more than expensive counterfeits in my opinion.
im not saying they arent, but im saying they offer something most manufacturers dont

Dakota

Reaction score
Cost/Quality aren't mutually exclusive.

One of the best guitars I've ever played, or owned (got it when I was 15, and still have it), costs $145. And, I've owned more than a few over the years.

You can spin it anyway you want, but there's absolutely no excuse to buy any counterfeit products. You want a Gibson, or any other "high-end" guitar? Do like the rest of us, and work/save for it.

Don't want to pay the higher prices? There are MANY legitimate guitar brands that make great guitars (and, yes, a lot of them sub $500).

Bottom line is, counterfeits are crap, in every sense of the word.
if i order one (never did and dont plan on doing it) i would never put gibson on the headstock, a) because its not, b) because im not a fan of the brand (i am of the models, though)

i dont think the quality of whatever thing is measured by what is written on it

i also have a 149 euro les paul copy, one of my best guitars, it sucked back in the day, properly set up? it rocks

Last edited:

ThePanda

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think it is more perceived quality.

MIJ LPs are considered higher quality due to manufacturing. This shows in their appointments as well as materials. These have there own company logo on the open headstock.

Chibson I think are perceived as a quick way to sell to the market as counterfeit (open book Gibson logo). Materials and manufacturing are preceived as low due to this image. I don't actually know if the materials are worse I don't own one.

CB91710

Double Platinum Supporting Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
First of all, you don't even need to have "Gibson" written on the headstock, plus, you can get a replica out of every existing guitar, you don't need to settle for the model/finish of whatever Gibson/Epiphone offers, you just need to ask for it.

Cheers.
They are garbage
They are illegal
They end up on the 2nd hand market being pushed as "genuine", thus taking advantage of people who don't know what to look for in a fake, and then it gives Gibson a bad reputation when the buyer complains about his "Gibson" being a piece of junk.

Dakota

Reaction score
Let's see..... let's go beyond the legalities and morals of buying a guitar meant to deceive. And I am sure the OP would NEVER buy one, then try to pass it off in the local CL as real. But as a cheap guitar, it's just that. A CHEAP guitar. MUCH closer to the sub 150 mark then the sub 500 mark. Hardware is garbage. Electronics are, yep, garbage. Fretwork and fit and finish...... come on, you know the answer here.... Good boy! Garbage.

And as to the "sub 500 dollar guitar" comment....
Ibanez JEM JR, 399. GREAT Licensed copy of a great guitar.
Ibanez AS73. 399 Stupid nice, crap switch.
Agile 3010ES Paul 499. Not a flaw.
Douglas Thin Line Tele copy. 129 So good, I sold my MIM Thinline.

And if you want to talk used prices..... 300 for a 07 Gibson Faded Studio, 400 for a 78 Gibson L6s, 150 for an Epiphone SG Pro, 300 for an Epiphone SG Custom.
So when you do that "sub 500" cork sniffing crap, think whether it's garbage like a Chibson or sewer water.
i said 500 like i could had said 300, i have no idea how much a chibson costs

whats wrong in getting something gibson doesnt offers either in models or finishes? again, not putting the G logo on the headstock? like many others, yes, its a cheap guitar, wouldnt you upgrade not a single thing on those guitars you name? i certainly would

Dakota

Reaction score
They are garbage
They are illegal
They end up on the 2nd hand market being pushed as "genuine", thus taking advantage of people who don't know what to look for in a fake, and then it gives Gibson a bad reputation when the buyer complains about his "Gibson" being a piece of junk.
read the whole post back again, i can agree on the part that they are taking advantage of people

but chibsons give gibson a bad rep? lol

CB91710

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
if i order one (never did and dont plan on doing it) i would never put gibson on the headstock, a) because its not, b) because im not a fan of the brand (i am of the models, though)

i dont think the quality of whatever thing is measured by what is written on it
OK... to be clear... "Chibson", and the hate directed toward them, relates to counterfeit products sold out of China using the Gibson (and Fender) name and designs.
"Chibson" does not refer to Agile/Vintage/Harley Benton/Glarry/Firefly and any of the other few dozen producers of legitimate products that feature SIMILAR designs to those produced by Gibson/Fender.

"Chibson" is criminal garbage.
The others are simply affordable student model guitars. Some better than others, all built to a price point.
Dollar for dollar, the Chibson counterfeits tend to be of lower quality than the others.

Zylo

Reaction score
What I dislike about them
You end up paying a decent amount of money for your spec
And what you end up receiving is pure luck of the draw
They can say mahagony but how do you know you don’t have pinewood lol
After one bad feedback The sellers just close up shop and set up with a new name

BadPenguin

Reaction score
i said 500 like i could had said 300, i have no idea how much a chibson costs

whats wrong in getting something gibson doesnt offers either in models or finishes? again, not putting the G logo on the headstock? like many others, yes, its a cheap guitar, wouldnt you upgrade not a single thing on those guitars you name? i certainly would
I HAVE all those I named and about 40 more. Anything I needed done to those listed, I did.
And there is nothing wrong in getting something Gibson doesn't offer. It's called buying ANOTHER brand. Don't like Gibson? Buy a Guild. Or a Gretsch. Maybe a Fender. Don't have that kind of money? Epiphone, Squier, Ibanez GIO, DeArmond. Still too rich for your blood? Firefly, Grote, Zuiwe. But expect to put in almost as much as they cost to make them playable.

CB91710

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
read the whole post back again, i can agree on the part that they are taking advantage of people

but chibsons give gibson a bad rep? lol
When someone buys a Chibson 2nd hand and believes that they just got a stellar deal on a genuine Gibson, yes. That gives Gibson a bad name when they start telling others about problems they have with their "Gibson"

We've seen it on the forum... and it usually takes a few days for the owner to go through the stages of grief and reach acceptance that, yes, he fell for a scam and paid way too much for a cheap copy.

You will find absolutely no support for these counterfeiters on this forum. If you believe that there are any redeeming qualities in them, then perhaps this is not the right forum for you.

Dakota

Reaction score
I HAVE all those I named and about 40 more. Anything I needed done to those listed, I did.
And there is nothing wrong in getting something Gibson doesn't offer. It's called buying ANOTHER brand. Don't like Gibson? Buy a Guild. Or a Gretsch. Maybe a Fender. Don't have that kind of money? Epiphone, Squier, Ibanez GIO, DeArmond. Still too rich for your blood? Firefly, Grote, Zuiwe. But expect to put in almost as much as they cost to make them playable.
i actually listed two models that gibson doesnt offer, the rd and the dave grohl 335 (a trini lopez with tune o matic), like countless other models in the endless list of gibson designs

Last edited:

Latest Threads