Orville vs. Epiphones

Tobaccoburst83

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure the Orvilles are great guitars but somewhere I've read that there're 3 different "series" Orville brought out over the years. One is the so-called K-series which would be the "entry-level" of Orville's line-up. I was wondering which one would be "better": an Epiphone (Korea/CZ/China) or an Orville K-series?
As all Orville are made in Japan I guess the are all well-made guitars. And of course you always can go for another bridge, pots, pickups etc. So is there a big step up to the other 2 series Orville brought out? Nitro finish would be fine but only available on the G-series (afaik)?!

Pooch

Reaction score
Have a read through this if you haven’t already:

Also consider a Japanese Epiphone - I love my 98 Custom. Fujigen built and feels every bit the step up from MIK/MIC Epis. The price of Orvilles has been bloating for a while now, and you’re more likely to get a good deal on a Fujigen Epiphone than a Fujigen Orville. They’re essentially identical, just the branding changed from Orville to Epi. If you can find an Epiphone Elite, Elitist or LQ, even better!

There are plenty of Fujigen LPs that have a different brand on the headstock, so don’t discount those from your search if it’s quality you’re after rather than a logo. History and FGN for example.

robertoa1a

Reaction score
They were made in different eras in time (Orville and Epiphone Gibson type guitars).
In 1988 Gibson licensed Orville guitars to be made in Japan for business reasons. They couldn't source Gibson's in Japan and Orvile's were not retailed in the US. The Japanese versions were better built than some of the Gibson's of the era.
After that, around 1996, Asian factories outside of Japan were commissioned to make what would later be the Epiphone we know today.

Prior to purchasing a Orville By Gibson, I found out that their is a lot to learn and a lot of anomalies during production that most rules that normally apply to certain models and years make things confusing.
K series simply had stickers rather than serial numbers for warranted reasons. They were sold from the factory wholesale to a major retailer in Japan (similar to our guitar center). Otherwise they are the same as every other Orville/ OBG. Like any thing else, people tend to hold on to the keepers and the less desirable specimens seem to be available for sale more often. The best are more rare and it takes careful shopping to get what you really want.

There is a lot of misinformation regarding Orvilles due to the language and cultural barriers of the times. When people don't know what they are talking about, they make shit up a lot of times. I will try to dig up some literature and post it tomorrow.

Last edited:

Pooch

Reaction score
They were made in different eras in time (Orville and Epiphone Gibson type guitars).
In 1988 Gibson licensed Orville guitars to be made in Japan for business reasons. They couldn't source Gibson's in Japan and Orvile's were not retailed in the US. The Japanese versions were better built than some of the Gibson's of the era.
After that, around 1996, Asian factories outside of Japan were commissioned to make what would later be the Epiphone we know today.

Prior to purchasing a Orville By Gibson, I found out that their is a lot to learn and a lot of anomalies during production that most rules that normally apply to certain models and years make things confusing.
K series simply had stickers rather than serial numbers for warranted reasons. They were sold from the factory wholesale to a major retailer in Japan (similar to our guitar center). Otherwise they are the same as every other Orville/ OBG. Like any thing else, people tend to hold on to the keepers and the less desirable specimens seem to be available for sale more often. The best are more rare and it takes careful shopping to get what you really want.

There is a lot of misinformation regarding Orvilles due to the language and cultural barriers of the times. When people don't know what they are talking about, they make shit up a lot of times. I will try to dig up some literature and post it tomorrow.

Epiphone Les Pauls were on the market long long before 1996. Epiphone Les Pauls and Orville Les Pauls were made and sold at the same time for many years. Never heard of the 89? Surely the Samick Les Pauls of the early 90s?

In your words, “When people don’t know what they’re talking about...”

Gtarzan81

Reaction score
Epiphone Les Pauls were on the market long long before 1996. Epiphone Les Pauls and Orville Les Pauls were made and sold at the same time for many years. Never heard of the 89? Surely the Samick Les Pauls of the early 90s?

In your words, “When people don’t know what they’re talking about...”
My Epiphone Les Paul I've had since new was made in 95. I got it for Christmas in 96.

LoveLes83

Reaction score
I think he was saying that 1996 is when Epi LP’s started being made in Japan at Fujigen. I remember reading that 95 or 96 was the last year of Orville’s and then Gibson had Fujigen put Epiphone on the headstock starting the next year.

Pooch

Reaction score
I think he was saying that 1996 is when Epi LP’s started being made in Japan at Fujigen. I remember reading that 95 or 96 was the last year of Orville’s and then Gibson had Fujigen put Epiphone on the headstock starting the next year.
That’s not what he said though. Whether it’s what he meant to say, I’m not sure, but it’s not what he said.

And furthermore, to go on to say “After that, around 1996, Asian factories outside of Japan were commissioned to make what would later be the Epiphone we know today” really doesn’t support that argument. He’s specifically talking about NON-Japanese factories here. Which is nonsense.

It’s possible he’s managed to word his post really badly, while meaning well. But to post such obviously erroneous information, and then go on to infer other people “talk shit when they don’t know what they’re talking about”, well I’m afraid that got under my skin a little.

wulfman

ABB Fan
Reaction score
There are Orvilles up to at least 1997 and then the open-book Epis came. Fujigen made some non-open book headstock Epiphones with bolt necks at some point. I haven't paid much attention to the serials for those.
There were earlier open-book headstock Epiphones made by Matsumoku in the early 80s, but those don't officially exist in any catalogs. There are lots of examples out there though with the "Standard" truss rod cover.

robertoa1a

Reaction score
In the late mid to late 90's the they started making them like the Epiphone's sold today. I'm not going to spend an hour going into details of build specs. The early models were a different animal in a lot of regards. During the transition I have seen bouth Orville and Epiphone on the head stock of the same build of guitar. I'm not going to get into semantics with someone who knows the difference.
If you get that triggered from such a simple concept then take a pill. Man!

robertoa1a

Reaction score
The original post is about Orvilles and OBG's.
I have purchased two Orviles/ OBG's recently an have done years of research on them.
To go off topic, and discuss Epiphone history is a waste of everyone's time.
I was willing to share my experience.
Someone decided that he would take over.

I don't a lot of extra time to discus philosophy. Thank for wasting my time and the original posters.

zombiwoof

Reaction score
The original post is about Orvilles and OBG's.
I have purchased two Orviles/ OBG's recently an have done years of research on them.
To go off topic, and discuss Epiphone history is a waste of everyone's time.
I was willing to share my experience.
Someone decided that he would take over.

I don't a lot of extra time to discus philosophy. Thank for wasting my time and the original posters.
Original post is about Orville vs. Epiphone.
Al

robertoa1a

Reaction score
I left this forum about 5 years ago because there were too many dick-heads!

I shouldn't have came back!

Pooch

Reaction score
Wow. What a pleasant and helpful person Roberto is... :confused:

Tobaccoburst, did you have much luck in finding an Orville or Epi? I’d be interested to hear how you’re getting on with this. Great deals are out there, although it often takes a combination of patience and luck! :)

Latest Threads