Orville Les Paul Pickup Rings/Surrounds

kiddakidda

Reaction score
Hi All,

My Pickup surrounds on my Orville Les Paul Custom have seen better days and the rear one has a split in it.

I really would like some metal surrounds but I can't seem to find the correct profile for the neck pickup surround. It is about 2mm high closest to the neck and about 4mm at the back of the surround.

The lowest I have found so far are 4mm rising to 5.5mm

I am in the UK, any suggestions?

Cheers.

mono

Reaction score
I've found that the best pickup rings are generally the ones that are vintage-correct sizes, ie. 1/4 inch height at the neck and 1/2 inch height at the bridge.
I say "best" because at these heights the pickups are naturally brought close to the strings and exactly parallel to the fretboard, so you can set the action how you like without worrying about the pickup proximity.

For what it's worth, my ObG came with unpaired pickup rings (completely different colours :D) and I replaced them with some DiMarzios that fit the holes fine and bend around the top-carve without problem.

kiddakidda

Reaction score
I've found that the best pickup rings are generally the ones that are vintage-correct sizes, ie. 1/4 inch height at the neck and 1/2 inch height at the bridge.
I say "best" because at these heights the pickups are naturally brought close to the strings and exactly parallel to the fretboard, so you can set the action how you like without worrying about the pickup proximity.

For what it's worth, my ObG came with unpaired pickup rings (completely different colours :D) and I replaced them with some DiMarzios that fit the holes fine and bend around the top-carve without problem.

Do your rings have a slant?

mono

Reaction score
Yep they both had a slant, but as I said they are non-original.
ObGs are made to be very vintage-correct, so most parts will fit them :)

kiddakidda

Reaction score
I have ordered this set off the 'Bay'

The bridge pickup dims are pretty much perfect but the front on is at least 2mm higher at the low end.

I'll see how I get on with them when they arrive.

Cheers

Udonitron

Psychedelic Stoner Rock
Reaction score
+1 for DiMarzipan's. They seem to be the only ones that fit the weird ring sizes the Japanese made. I should mold some and make them for us peeps who are in dire need of them. :hmm:

kiddakidda

Reaction score
+1 for DiMarzipan's. They seem to be the only ones that fit the weird ring sizes the Japanese made. I should mold some and make them for us peeps who are in dire need of them. :hmm:

Yes you should! :thumb:

And here's me thinking it would take 5 mins to find a set and order them. Hours later and I live in hope the one's I have ordered will be suitable. We'll see.:hmm:

mono

Reaction score
Udo, there was a guy in the Luthier's Corner who wanted to do that. All power to you man, the vintage repro rings cost upwards of $200, so if you make a viable alternative for $30, you are going to get a serious cut of the market..

Make it happen bro!

Udonitron

Psychedelic Stoner Rock
Reaction score
OK I will do that then :D I will have to mold some good ones that are intact like off my Tokai etc. I will look into it :D

Latest Threads