Orville electronics - single fault?

strayedstrater

Reaction score
Can you post some better pics of the control cavity and wiring? From that one angle with the washed out contrast and low resolution I can't tell what's hooked up to what, or if anything is bridged or touching something it shouldn't.

Mikkkele

Reaction score
Can you post some better pics of the control cavity and wiring? From that one angle with the washed out contrast and low resolution I can't tell what's hooked up to what, or if anything is bridged or touching something it shouldn't.
Its too late for this. I took already everything out and changed pots and caps and wiring if I get a difference. Changes to 50th wiring too.
No change.
Ordered new pots and better caps ...

Still wondering how this is physically/electronicswise possible, that the tone pot of the treble pup works this way. I have no explanation.
If the pup is somehow broken the volume would not work well imho. Loudness is good and pot works well. Sorry, I repeat myself.
How can trble tone pot reduce the vol that much?
Next week I will meet a friend. He is a electrionics full checker and can "think in" electronics. ;)

I will tell you the results.
Thanks for the attention.
Cheers

Mikkkele

Reaction score
little update:
all pots etc. changed. Feels good but doesn't sound better. ;)

Checked resistance of the pups.
Neck is 7.5 kOhms = normal.
Bridge pup shows *zero* (no change at all on display).

Is the thin cable somewhere a "little bit" broken?
Only a "liitle bit" (sorry for bad english) because there IS good output (if vol. is set to 100 %) but it seems to be faulty when tone is changed.

I hope the fault is not *inside* the pickup and only the long (and quit thin) cable may have a defect .

therealfrogman

A fool and his money....
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
You should ohm that neck pup without it being part of the circuit, how many wires does it have? What color are the wires? Which lug is grounded on the volume pot?

Mikkkele

Reaction score
I ohmed the neck pickup unsoldered.
Inside thin hot wire = one wire, wired with ground wire. Color of thin wire is white on both pickups.
The isolation wire ist grounded. Hot wire goes to lug No. 3 (opposite to ground lug) on pots.

therealfrogman

A fool and his money....
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I meant to say Bridge, sorry about that. I do not understand what you have... Please take a clear picture and post it.

Mikkkele

Reaction score
I meant to say Bridge, sorry about that. I do not understand what you have... Please take a clear picture and post it.
Dear theoneandonlyFrogman,
- I measured both pickups when they were removed.
- picture does not help now as bridge pickup is off cavity. The rest is wired newly with new pots and cap.

Problem is: bridge pup shows zero when ohming, neck pup 7.5.
But bridge pup sends "something". If not there would be no sound at all imho.
Therefore my question: Is it possible that resistance does not change (remains at zero on display) but a signal goes out? Maybe only a small one? Which does not cause an indication?

In my mind as a non electronics technician I would think: if there is no resistance there is "nothing" which causes an output. (Or am I mad? Maybe, but not blind I hope.)
Orville_97_2021_01.jpg

Latest Threads