Orville by Gibson LP reissue?

darkvoice

Reaction score
I came across this ObG guitar, would you please advise which version is it? Is the a 59 reissue? 57 reissue? Not a reissue?

Serial number is six digits, starting with 4 - like this 40xxx3. I think it's from 1994.

Thank you so much!

P1430147.JPG

P1430149.JPG
P1430151.JPG

cmjohnson

Reaction score
An Orville is not a reissue, it is an Orville.

Orville is the brand name Gibson agreed to license to Fuji Gen Gakki, the Japanese guitar factory that made such brands as Ibanez, Greco, and Yamaha.

In essence, Orville is Gibson made in Japan under license to the company that actually makes Ibanez guitars.

From Wiki:

In 1988, Yamano Gakki decided to expand the Epiphone Japan model range to include solid body models as well as semi-acoustic models. Gibson and Yamano Gakki decided not to use the Epiphone brand name for the expanded model range and so the Orville name was chosen instead, Orville being the first name of Gibson's founder Orville Gibson. When the "Orville by Gibson" series was launched in 1988, Gibson was also selling American-made Gibson guitars, Japanese-made Epiphone guitars, and Korean-made Epiphone guitars in Japan. The Orville by Gibson series were distributed by Yamano Gakki and were priced midway between the American-made Gibson guitars and the Korean-made Epiphone guitars.

There were a number of changes to the Orville by Gibson model range between their beginning in 1988 and their end in 1998. Production ceased in 1998 due to Gibson and Yamano Gakki deciding to export an expanded Epiphone Japan model range that included solid body and semi acoustic models. Gibson and Yamano Gakki ended their relationship in late 2006.

brokentoeswalker

Reaction score
Nibs are a good sign of what I've heard called obg reissues.

I dont know what model that would be looking to aspire to but since it's a plaintop I'd guess '58 ??

Good luck.

darkvoice

Reaction score
An Orville is not a reissue, it is an Orville.

Orville is the brand name Gibson agreed to license to Fuji Gen Gakki, the Japanese guitar factory that made such brands as Ibanez, Greco, and Yamaha.

In essence, Orville is Gibson made in Japan under license to the company that actually makes Ibanez guitars.

From Wiki:
I am aware of Orville's history.

My question is related to certain Orville models, such as LPS-57C and LPS-59R, which are called reissues of 1957 or 1959 Les Paul. They are different from common Orville models and have distinct features - fret nibs, US made pick-ups, finish, etc.

darkvoice

Reaction score
Thank you for the confirmation, based on what was said here it's LPS-57C.

What king of finish does it have - nitro or poly?

Seller wants $1500 for it - is this reasonable?

Arf

Reaction score

Clayton Ataide

Reaction score
Usually ObG are nitro, especially the first years of production, and propbably all Orville are poly, but the only way to be sure is testing. If it have signs of cracking because of the climate changes it's definitely nitro. If it's old and looks like new it's probably poly.

You can always use rubbing alchool and acetone to test the finish inside the cavities to discover, but for doing that you will need to buy the guitar first.

All Orville guitars are some kind of Reissues. The measures, angles, hardware... ABR-1 bridge, even some of the inexpensive models had medium to long tenons. Those guitars weren't crafted by the made in US Standards of the same era.

You'd expect a thicker neck for 57's, but the differences from one model to another usually is mostly on the top depending on the year. I THINK the more faithfull Reissues by ObG are the 89/92 Terada models. Unfortunately I had more Burny and Greco than Orville guitars, so I can't really tell that it's true because I am telling what I found over the years on the internet. What I can tell is that there were not much factories in Japan, so if you get some of them you start to get used to the building/finishing of each of them. Especially Matsumoku, the more exquisite of all.

Clayton Ataide

Reaction score
Always wanted to play one. The ones from the the Gaki plant in particular (They made some of the best Yamahas, Fernandes and Burny).
All of them are from the "Gakki" plant. Gakki means musical instrument.

"Gen Gakki" means stringed musical instrument.

So there are Fuji Gen Gakki, Terada Gakki, Hoshino Gakki... I think you need to specify what factory you like most.

Latest Threads