Orville By Gibson Bill Lawrence HB-R/HB-L or Orville Japanese made Pickups

capt_goodvibes

Reaction score
Hi,
As you may know I have just bought 2 Awesome Orvilles, 1 95 Orville Les Paul and a 89 Orville By Gibson Les Paul, now I'm planning on replacing the Bill Lawrence HB-R/HB-L Pickups in the 89 Orville By Gibson with a pair of Bare Knuckle Calibrated "The Mule" Pickups.

What I was wondering is should I replace the Japanese Pickups in the 95 Orville with the Bill Lawrence HB-R/HB-L Pickups, or are the Japanese Pickups good enough to leave them in.
Thanks

NoStatic

Banned
Reaction score
The JPN pups ive experienced in 2 Orvilles have been whistling microphonic dogs. Repotting may have fixed them, but they got flung. I would replace everything inside an Orville (not ObG) - nice gits, nasty inside. Usually micropots, plastic wire, cheap switch- into the bin.

Given your location- have a chat to Mick Breirley? Brierley Guitar Pickups Home Page

capt_goodvibes

Reaction score
The JPN pups ive experienced in 2 Orvilles have been whistling microphonic dogs. Repotting may have fixed them, but they got flung. I would replace everything inside an Orville (not ObG) - nice gits, nasty inside. Usually micropots, plastic wire, cheap switch- into the bin.

Given your location- have a chat to Mick Breirley? Brierley Guitar Pickups Home Page

Thanks for your help, I was just wondering about the Shaft length on the Orville, and OBG's Pots, I know that the Epiphone Les Pauls use Short Shaft Pots, but do the Orvilles, and OBG's use long or short shafts on their Pots.

Which of there are the right upgrade?
Thanks.

Complete Premium Vintage Electronics Upgrade Kit-Long Shaft [COMPVINTKITL]

RS Guitarworks Online Store

Complete Premium Vintage Electronics Upgrade Kit-Short Shaft [COMPVINTKITS]

RS Guitarworks Online Store

NoStatic

Banned
Reaction score
I suspect they both use short shafts. There is no plate in either (that ive ever seen). Whip one out and measure. 5 minutes, there is only two sizes.

doublecut

Reaction score
Use your buccaneers.

It's all about personal taste so no one can advise on that.

I will say that guitars have a certain inherent EQ which differs from one guitar to another and so do pickups so a player really needs to match the guitars inherent EQ with the pickups EQ according to personal taste but it doesn't stop there because the guitar and pickups also need to be matched with different amps and effects to personal taste and that really means trying out a lot of gear first hand.

I've got a Duncan JB in a Northern Ash Fender because they match according to my taste and I've got lace sensors in some of my Fender Strats and not in others according to my taste and I've got a Terada Orville pickup in a Chinese Squire Strat but I've changed the ceramic magnet to a Alnico 5 out of a Gotoh and this pickup matches my Squire and I've got DiMarzios out of a Strat in a Greco Super Real because they match to my taste and I've got Duncan minibuckers in my Gibson SG etc etc.
One pickup in one guitar might work great but the same pickup moved to another guitar might not sound great. There are not really any rules, what works, works.

3pupLPC

Reaction score
Never had a set of the Orville pups, but the Bill Lawrence's I had squealed like stuck pigs at higher gain... maybe waxing would have helped, but I wasn't a fan.

GammyBird

Reaction score
I replaced the bridge pickup in my 97 Orville with a BB Pro. The guitar jumped to life!!!

Latest Threads