Orville and Orville By Gibson

Leddyman

Reaction score
I replaced the old pots and wiring in my Fresher. Went with CTS 10% tolerance 550k pots, NOS sprague vitamin Q's, and vintage braided wire in place of the thin plastic-shielded wire from toggle to pickups and output jack, put in a Switchcraft output, the switchcraft toggle would not fit. I had to open up the holes slightly for the pots to fit. I just used sandpaper rolled up.

It made a world of difference. It really opened up the tone. The tone knobs do something now. If it is too bright you can roll the tone knob off and get great results.

I did not go with 50's wiring for personal preference. I find it too bright. I just like modern wiring myself.

tosh78

Reaction score
I agree with what's been said about the pots. In my experience, upgrading the pots and caps made a big difference. Or at least it was a big difference to my untrained amateur ears!

swampblues

Reaction score
I like PIO caps 0.15 neck and 022 bridge. To me it seems to smooth out the sharp treble but who knows it may all be like UFO's and Bigfoot, just a myth.

jimmyjames

Reaction score
No myth, Swamp. I've gone .022 neck and 0.047 bridge- bridge is great now, might try 0.015 neck later.

Hydra19

Reaction score
I was going to change the pots in in mine, but in the end changed just the caps, as I found the pots to work well. It is something I will change one day, but for the moment they do the job just fine.

I went with orange drop caps until I can get some bumblebees. My Terada Standard came with a 57 classic in the bride and a bill lawrence HB-L in the neck, which I didn't like. Had 57 classics in both and finally upgraded the bridge to a 57 classic plus humbucker and it's great but was thinking of putting some Bare Knuckles, the trouble is I can't decide which ones! I've done some research and in the end decided these pickups were good enough to leave alone for now.

Love my ObG! (although I did drop it on the floor accidentally, twice, and nothing happened to it, built like a tank)

daniyalahmed97

Reaction score
Hi!
Can someone give me some info on a 1996 Orville LPS 75 please?
I am thinking about buying one but do not know anything about it apart from the fact that i like the color :)
ORVILLE / LPS-75 LH VS Used Musical Instrument
Greetings
I'm no expert at all but it looks like a fujigen 90's les paul. 3 piece back which isn't that appealing. I got a pretty worn orville by gibson custom for the about same price. But I do like the vintage sunburst look. And orvilles are killer guitars! Ask the others let's see what they say :p

cvrle1

Reaction score
I was really hoping I could win this one, but h_z**** (whoever that is) wanted it more.

https://www.jauce.com/auction/w101885491

Bid last night was at 22.5K, so I put 41K bid, I was outbid right away. 43K, still outbid. I gave up, but saw this morning that someone else tried 44K and that person was outbid as well by h_z. Wonder what the max bid h_z put...

Mr Teeny

Reaction score
I was really hoping I could win this one, but h_z**** (whoever that is) wanted it more.

https://www.jauce.com/auction/w101885491

Bid last night was at 22.5K, so I put 41K bid, I was outbid right away. 43K, still outbid. I gave up, but saw this morning that someone else tried 44K and that person was outbid as well by h_z. Wonder what the max bid h_z put...
Those are pretty rare 44k was a decent price even if the switch ring was missing. The white obg's age really nicely too.

Always a pain being outbid but you never know what they'd push you to, with most mij's something else will crop up soon enough, just stick to your limits and move to the next

cvrle1

Reaction score
Those are pretty rare 44k was a decent price even if the switch ring was missing. The white obg's age really nicely too.

Always a pain being outbid but you never know what they'd push you to, with most mij's something else will crop up soon enough, just stick to your limits and move to the next
Yup, exactly what I am thinking. It is not a question if another one will show up, but when. I have seen couple of these in last month or so, and both went for similar price.

tosh78

Reaction score
I have an Orville by Gibson. It has a repair in the neck and it has a scarf neck but it plays great and I love it. I thought about selling it at some stage because I wanted to buy another guitar, but I decided to keep it and save some more money for the other guitar. Orvilles quality is a little bit lower than Orville by Gibson. This in particular looks very nice, but I think you can get an Orville by Gibson for not a lot of extra money. I would definitely recommend ObG.

Hi!
I am thinking about buying one but do not know anything about it apart from the fact that i like the color :)
Greetings

GammyBird

Reaction score
Hi!
Greetings
That's a half decent price on a LH guitar. 2 piece top, 2 or 3 piece back, poly finish and long tenon neck joint. The electronics may need an upgrade from the GOTOH pups and alpha pots but that's my opinion from . Nice burst on that too but the weight is up there a tad.

Latest Threads