oripure polepieces alnico p90 not bar alnico

hewo

Reaction score
anyone tried the polepieces alnico in lieu of the bar alnico used for legacy fabrication processing

the second query is if it is possible to instead swap the soapbar casing into the dog ear casing, can this be done?

when i search dog ear type of p90 for this kind of alnico polepieces, there are only soap bar casings, so does this mean disassemble the soap and install into the dog ear cover casing?

i've never looked underneathe casings covers of the two kinds of p90

LocoTex

Reaction score
All I can say is I didn't really care for the pole piece magnet P90s that Gibson used for a while. I traded my 2015 Junior that had it, and I replaced the one at the bridge in my 2014 Melody Maker for a traditional bar magnet P90.

ARandall

Reaction score
Dogears need a new baseplate as well as the plastic cover. Thats not too hard to do as 2 screws is all that holds the bobbin onto the baseplate.

The polepieces are a different story. Unless you can find screws that are themselves magnets, it will be hard to convert. You would have to drill the plastic bobbin out to fit the typical alnico rod magnet. 1 slip and your pickup is dead.

hewo

Reaction score
Dogears need a new baseplate as well as the plastic cover. Thats not too hard to do as 2 screws is all that holds the bobbin onto the baseplate.

The polepieces are a different story. Unless you can find screws that are themselves magnets, it will be hard to convert. You would have to drill the plastic bobbin out to fit the typical alnico rod magnet. 1 slip and your pickup is dead.
All I can say is I didn't really care for the pole piece magnet P90s that Gibson used for a while. I traded my 2015 Junior that had it, and I replaced the one at the bridge in my 2014 Melody Maker for a traditional bar magnet P90.
bar alnico is like the sound engineer mixing all the constituents into a monaural blend?
whilst individualized alnico pole pieces (not necessarily staggered in their vertical heights) punctuate individual constituents

the bridge tele pup utilizes the iron base plate to artificially "blend" individualized alnico pole pieces, try removing this base plate & listening to the same pup missing its base plate of iron

the more iron, the more permeability? is this like momentum drive? but at a cost to lossages in the upper registers, the high frequencies?

did fender try and replace individualized pole pieces with bar alnico and dummy iron poles? people throw away strat type single coils featuring a base ceramic community magnet because its too cheesy

Antigua

Reaction score
anyone tried the polepieces alnico in lieu of the bar alnico used for legacy fabrication processing

the second query is if it is possible to instead swap the soapbar casing into the dog ear casing, can this be done?

when i search dog ear type of p90 for this kind of alnico polepieces, there are only soap bar casings, so does this mean disassemble the soap and install into the dog ear cover casing?

i've never looked underneathe casings covers of the two kinds of p90
These https://www.amazon.com/OriPure-Alnico-Pickup-Bridge-Guitar/dp/B0773PTCM9 ? I bet they sound really good, I'm tempted to buy some myself.

It says they have 50mm pole piece spacing, the most important thing would be finding dog ear covers that are also 50mm. If you have to, you could epoxy the pickup to the cover. These are cheap pickups and the covers are cheap, so there's no need to worry about destroying anything of value in the process.

hewo

Reaction score
These https://www.amazon.com/OriPure-Alnico-Pickup-Bridge-Guitar/dp/B0773PTCM9 ? I bet they sound really good, I'm tempted to buy some myself.

It says they have 50mm pole piece spacing, the most important thing would be finding dog ear covers that are also 50mm. If you have to, you could epoxy the pickup to the cover. These are cheap pickups and the covers are cheap, so there's no need to worry about destroying anything of value in the process.
it looks like the iron bed plate to any p90 dog or soap adds its flavor to the cochlear since removing the bed plate the cochlear can distinguish the change, thinner, not fatter, why, permeability increases with iron, ghs iron wound strings plated with nickel finish for example are louder too.

I've successfully perch mounted pups on previous guitars. the p90 naked without the bed plate can be perched upon carbon fiber hobby struts, say 3/32" rod cross bracing embedded into cavity for perching transducer with adhesive. of course this is tedious work but rewarding forever. there's three spatial orientation coordinates in perching: focus distance, alignment under each string, and the targeted virtual fret harmonic node say 24th virtual fret for the tele neck pup.

it'll look non-aesthetic though, the naked pup is set permanently inside its cavity but there is no ornamental cosmetic cover. splashing rain on the pup will cause rust

Saiko

Reaction score
I can't speak for other makers, but Lindy Fralin makes an alnico polepiece P90 that is simply incredible and it makes one heck of a neck pickup for a special or deluxe.

hewo

Reaction score
I can't speak for other makers, but Lindy Fralin makes an alnico polepiece P90 that is simply incredible and it makes one heck of a neck pickup for a special or deluxe.
yup, lindy has been contacted and yet to answer, its gonna be 2C's likely, the identical invested into agile model ad-201

Latest Threads