Original Marshall The Guv'nor

Mustard Caps

Reaction score
Whos using an original Marshall The Guv"nor pedal through a Marshall/Metro Bluesbreaker type amp and what are your thoughts?

NotScott

Reaction score
I have an original Guv'nor but, the only Marshall I have is a 73 SL that has more than enough gain when cranked and attenuated so, I never felt a need to push the front end of that amp. However, for my tweeds and Vox amps, I have used the Guv'nor and it does a great job of turning most any amp into a hot and nasty cranked Marshall. The Guv'nor has that Marshall upper mid drive sound really nailed. I can definitely see why Gary Moore used it.

That being said, I prefer a Hot Cake more. The Hot Cake does not have the upper mid push that the Guv'nor has but it sounds fuller and reacts much better to my guitar volume adjustments, something I do often. The Guv'nor sounds awesome when your flat out rocking but it tends to sound like a fuzz box when you turn down your guitar volume. The Hot Cake sounds much more natural and dynamic and cleans up amazingly well from your guitar volume.

If you like Gary Moore's tone, you will love the Guv'nor.

Mustard Caps

Reaction score
My Metro GMP45 isn't gainy so I think it will work well with the amp and my speakers. Im also not looking to run the pedal with a lot of gain. Just enough to give it some noticeable edge.

I mainly run my Metro through a couple Hemp Coned JBL E120s and ported cabinets.

I do like GMs tone and knew he used this pedal at 1 time. Ill also be using it a lot with a Strat.

Coldacre

Reaction score
I've got a DriveMaster... which is basically the continuation of the Guv'nor, just re-named. it's a nice pedal but damn does it suck tone.

anyone still using those old Marshall pedals should try a RAT. same mid emphasis but they clean up better and don't suck tone.

NotScott

Reaction score
I have never noticed any tone sucking with my GuvNor and never tried a DriveMaster. But I tried a RAT back in the 80s and hated it. It just sounded like a bad fuzz box to me.

Everyone has their preferred tones and devices to get there. Try a bunch and see what works for you.

morbidalex666

Reaction score
I use an original with my 1959 100watt, when I want to have my Gary Moore moments lol. I find it quite versatile.

Though it is a very well built pedal (save for the switch), it has its drawbacks IMHO.
The bypass circuit sucks a bit of tone, that's fact - not opinion. If the guitar signal is buffered before it reaches the Guvnor, the tone-suck may go unnoticed. My opinion on this is that I don't prefer it.
The other thing is the treble response of the pedal can get a bit annoying if the power amp isn't "working" if you know what I mean.

I plan on building a clone, modifying the bypass to hardwire bypass and adding a switch for clipping options.

Slick

Reaction score
I've got a DriveMaster... which is basically the continuation of the Guv'nor, just re-named. it's a nice pedal but damn does it suck tone.

anyone still using those old Marshall pedals should try a RAT. same mid emphasis but they clean up better and don't suck tone.
^ This :thumb:

I had one back in the early 90s running through a JCM800 half stack. I used it for 2 gigs before swapping it for a RAT. My sound would just disappear into mush using the Guv'nor on just about any setting.

Latest Threads