Original Burst 1959 Les Paul Standard - New ‘Jimmy Plays’ Video

4symbols

Reaction score
A few weeks ago I had the absolute dream come true of being lent an original burst for a video shoot with my band! It was a fantastic experience and it gave me great insight into these amazing guitars. Thought I’d share on here, comments most welcome! Thanks guys!
Very Gary Moore. Just had a CS9 2015 SunRise TeaBurst, are my Guitar buying days over...

Jer

Reaction score
Jimmy,
That was fantastic! Really well written and your band sound great too! You have a real gift so do not ever stop. You have a perfect voice for the blues and your lead was well thought out and perfectly executed. Thank you for posting this! That looks like a killer guitar. Well done sir.

Jer

Sct13

Gold Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
Bravo!

The whole band !

I personally would have switched to treble and cranked it over the top... but thats me being bombastic ....

Great job, i enjoyed your song. And playing.

Nice burst too,

Question regarding the guitar.... it appears that the nut looks broken or cut weird.

Is that a camera angle thing? Or was there something different about that nut?

zamdrang

Reaction score
Cool, have nothing but good things to say about your playing, singing and your band. What a treat that get to play that guitar too.

Not a critique at all... Just my LP opinion but personally I don't find the tone of the guitar all the special regardless and in spite of its iconic status. It's the classic LP tone most of the guitar world raves about... but I've never found that classic bitey sound all that inspiring. I like more warmth but that's just me... It's still way cool

Midnight_Blues

Reaction score
What a surreal experience that must have been! The video and performance do that beautiful instrument justice! I listened twice and thoroughly enjoyed! Thanks for sharing your experience.......... and your song, with us! I'm guessing you're a Gary Moore fan?

BTW, I've subscribed and liked on youtube.

Blues_Verne

Reaction score
Ahhhm... listened with my studio headphones and now what really surprises me are the reactions and comments here to the guitar tone in this video.

The song is really nice, lyrics alike, dig it. But that LP tone is just plain boring. No character, no soul. Just a so-so guitar. There are thousands of uTube videos with a plethora of guitars of various brands and makes, that give you that same sound or tone, if you like.
That Les Paul sounds almost dead to my ears. I did download the video, to listen to it over my active High End horn system in my listening room (24bit/192kHz resolution) to no better result. So bloody what?
Sorry mates, but this guitar sucks. My own collection, by the way, was started in 1963 and yes, I had them all.

So whats wrong with that guitar???

Before the outcries start: no, I'm not trolling.

Last edited:

ballou48

Reaction score
A few weeks ago I had the absolute dream come true of being lent an original burst for a video shoot with my band! It was a fantastic experience and it gave me great insight into these amazing guitars. Thought I’d share on here, comments most welcome! Thanks guys!
Great song, great singing, nice solo. I would have liked to have heard part of that solo on the bridge pickup though.

Electrolux

Reaction score
You my good sir are a really good singer and a talented guitar player !

However, regarding the guitar, it to me sounds muffled and without clear sustain ,
kinda like it either needs new strings, or that it's just a less than perfect specimen !!

Sorry to disappoint you ..

jimmyguitar

Reaction score
You my good sir are a really good singer and a talented guitar player !

However, regarding the guitar, it to me sounds muffled and without clear sustain ,
kinda like it either needs new strings, or that it's just a less than perfect specimen !!

Sorry to disappoint you ..
No disappointment here! It sounds like that because a) I only had space in the car for my tiny Cornell 1x12 combo so that’s all it’s cranked through and b) the engineer mic’d the amp wrong as he didn’t realise the speaker wasn’t central so you’re hearing the baffle! :doh: We mixed it as good as we could but ultimately decided the take was good so decided to not re-shoot the whole thing. I did record a new solo on the bridge pickup with the amp mic’d properly, i’ll try and upload it here for you guys.

DaveSG

Reaction score
Ahhhm... listened with my studio headphones and now what really surprises me are the reactions and comments here to the guitar tone in this video.

The song is really nice, lyrics alike, dig it. But that LP tone is just plain boring. No character, no soul. Just a so-so guitar. There are thousands of uTube videos with a plethora of guitars of various brands and makes, that give you that same sound or tone, if you like.
That Les Paul sounds almost dead to my ears. I did download the video, to listen to it over my active High End horn system in my listening room (24bit/192kHz resolution) to no better result. So bloody what?
Sorry mates, but this guitar sucks. My own collection, by the way, was started in 1963 and yes, I had them all.

So whats wrong with that guitar???

Before the outcries start: no, I'm not trolling.
Perhaps a bit harsh mate though I can see how maybe it is not your preferred tone. We're so used to hearing these through old fenders and mashalls and this is through a 1x12 cornell which would be a completely different tone than we're used to associating with these guitars. I myself prefer a good marshall with these instruments, but as someone who mainly gigs with a 1x12 I can understand the limitations.

I thought the solo was tastefully done and very reminiscent of Gary Moore, as others have said. You really owe yourself (OP) a nice sit-down with some classic GM! In a live production event like that, I can imagine it being difficult to not throttle back to match the band and maybe miss the tones you would get with cranked tubes. I've been in situations like that where the guitar wants to go more and go louder and you can't take it there.

If you get a chance to take this guitar on a test drive with a vintage fender or marshall, I'm betting some of these opinions will change.

Whatever the case OP, keep rocking and allowing us to live vicariously through your excitement about this experience!

Blues_Verne, I'd love to see some of the pictures of the bursts you've owned as well.

Blues_Verne

Reaction score
Blues_Verne, I'd love to see some of the pictures of the bursts you've owned as well.
Well, Dave,
here ya go ;-)
But if you did hope to see pics of my 54, 56, 58, 61, 66 and later Lesters and Semis - sorry, mate, they were all on slides that got drained in a freakin' f***°°°g rainstorm up in Murwillumbah, Queensland, AU, and many of my photos disappeared with a carton when I moved to Europe in the late 80s.
As for today, what is left/kept and I have now - apart from a Corsa One Off that's in the making at the moment - is shown on my facebook site ...however i'm too darn dumb to get that link proper. Sorry. search for verne.blues

Jewel the Sapphire

Reaction score
I dig it, you sing very much like GM. Keep going like that please. The tone sounded like both the volume knobs were at like 4, still served the song although lacking sustain