Original 50's ABR vs R9 ABR Video

korus

Reaction score
Don’t know if this has been mentioned already, but the 50s ones have a differently sized wheel on the bridge posts
Greater diameter? Thinner?

If you have '50s ABR-1, what is the thickness of the top of the '50s saddle? 1/16"? More than that?

UEF

Reaction score
E5CCF305-D9A6-4C71-8928-1210CF79D7A5.jpeg
714F726E-7B10-4BED-AE74-E5029E292927.jpeg
D850D3CC-DEB1-4DCD-9235-A0031DF51041.jpeg

The redder one is a 58, tea is 2018 R8

PierM

Premium Member
Reaction score
do you think his videos are personally "enhanced"
Not saying that, but I never managed to replicate those A/B my side with such extremely high magnitude. Usually the differences are subtle, and very hard to isolate in the form of a constant, but he seems always getting huge differences between everything he compares.

Again, not assuming here, I do enjoy those video. I'm just not 100% sure those tests are clears from errors. (100% my very personal opinion that means nothing really).

MrWright

Reaction score
ok, understood Piers ...this is the only video I've watched out of his 10,000 +/-

C.J.

Reaction score
ok, understood Piers ...this is the only video I've watched out of his 10,000 +/-
Johan does have a Ph.D in mechanical engineering. Kinda bugs me that he never gives any opinion about why things sound different in these kinds of tests but then, in fairness, that clearly isn't the sentiment of his content.

Naquat

Reaction score
Here's Bernie Marsden's '59 L.P. "The Beast". The saddles don't look as flat as the one's mentioned on the vintage L.P. in this thread but they do appear to be Brass. True? And if so what else is different about it?

zwiefldraader

Reaction score
Funny how different ears can percieve. To me, the 50s original is way brighter and articulate, with less bass - while the CS R9 sounds duller to me.
But be careful. This might endanger some belivesystems. If the difference is that big, how Johan showed it, it might mean, the bridge and stoptail might be much more influencial than the WOOD. (Something I tend to believe for quite some time).

Before we adress the different material, I guess the question should be how "anal" the modern ones are built. Maybe the tolerance in parts is higher now. You could even argue rust might have tightened the connections and screws on the old bridge, which might have a clearly audible effect (transfering more frequencies, less filtering).

But for sure we should ask Johan if the strings with both bridges have been brand new.

zwiefldraader

Reaction score
Wow first I did listen to the clip through smartphone speakers (better quality than my laptop) and then through cheapo laptom speakers and... it just turned around. The brighter one seemed darker on laptop an vice versa. We should take care of our audio system before deciding...

zwiefldraader

Reaction score
btw. I am afraid if the vintage bridge is percieved brighter it´d be exactly why we´d rate vintage instruments superior - if warmer we´d praise that route, calling the modern ones thin and piercing. Perception is interpretation colored by preconceptions.

treatb

Reaction score
the older ones were made with a different type of steel right or are they solid metal? the modern ones are chrome or nickel plated i believe. my r9's saddles have warn through a bit and you can see they are plated. are the vintage saddles plated? every little thing counts. what grind or grit did they edge the bottoms of the saddles with back then? it isn't just the thickness of the top of thesaddle that can add solidity to the tone. like those late 50's floated saddles in gibson acoustics, they killed tone. you need good connection, and those old bridges were probably all hand fit as well.

zombiwoof

Reaction score
the older ones were made with a different type of steel right or are they solid metal? the modern ones are chrome or nickel plated i believe. my r9's saddles have warn through a bit and you can see they are plated. are the vintage saddles plated? every little thing counts. what grind or grit did they edge the bottoms of the saddles with back then? it isn't just the thickness of the top of thesaddle that can add solidity to the tone. like those late 50's floated saddles in gibson acoustics, they killed tone. you need good connection, and those old bridges were probably all hand fit as well.
I'm pretty sure ABR-1 bridges have always been made of zinc/Zamac and not solid steel, except maybe some early prototypes.
Al

BMF Effects

Reaction score
So...does it have to be a 50’s ABR or can I look at ones from the early to mid 60’s?