Origin Alpha Potentiometers - which is better?

lorenzo

Reaction score
Hello, folks!

A friend of mine needs to replace the 4 pots of his Epiphone guitar. I suggested the Alpha A500k ones, since CTS doesn't make pots with 3/8" bushing.
I know that Alpha pots are made in Asia, but I saw some stores selling "korean" ones and others offering "taiwan" ones. So I ask:

1) Is there any difference between them (origin)? If so, which one is better?

2) I saw some chineses selling them on ebay for a cheaper price. Are they authentic? (example: 3 ALPHA Audio 500K Fullsize Pots Auto For humbucker PU | eBay)

Thanks!

Bigneil

Reaction score
most folk buy a hand reamer and widen the hole slightly in order to fit the bushing on the imperial sized pot....it only needs a little doing.

slapshot

Reaction score
nothin wrong with those ones or alpha pots in general.this whole wank about "cts" pots is laughable
parts pipe is good business though.a lot of bulk stuff

MATTM

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
nothin wrong with those ones or alpha pots in general.this whole wank about "cts" pots is laughable
parts pipe is good business though.a lot of bulk stuff
Ever use CTS pots? Good CTS pots?

lorenzo

Reaction score
I thought about the CTS pots, but my friend doens't want to mess with the holes of his guitar... :/
Can anybody tell me if the Alpha pots from chinese sellers (ebay) are authentic?
Thanks, guys!

MATTM

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
If you are going to go through the trouble to replace the pots, don't replace garbage with garbage. Which, AlPha pots are.

Curious, what are your friends concerns about slightly enlarging the holes?

lorenzo

Reaction score
If you are going to go through the trouble to replace the pots, don't replace garbage with garbage. Which, AlPha pots are.

Curious, what are your friends concerns about slightly enlarging the holes?
He doesn't know how to do it and he's affraid of making a mess...

MATTM

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
He doesn't know how to do it and he's affraid of making a mess...
It's a simple Process that is suitable for the novis to do themselves. One can use a reamer available from most hardware stores, stick it in a hole, twist, check the hole with the 3/8 pot shaft, repeat if necessary. You can also use a pencil wrapped with sandpaper to enlarge them. It's a very simple mod and an easier job them soldering in a new Pot or a harness.

There is not much sense in replacing a pot with one of inferior quality just to have to repeat the process in a year or six months all over again. Plus, there are many benefits of using a top quality pot besides reliability. The tone will be much better and the controls will be useable due to proper tapers.

lorenzo

Reaction score
It's a simple Process that is suitable for the novis to do themselves. One can use a reamer available from most hardware stores, stick it in a hole, twist, check the hole with the 3/8 pot shaft, repeat if necessary. You can also use a pencil wrapped with sandpaper to enlarge them. It's a very simple mod and an easier job them soldering in a new Pot or a harness.

There is not much sense in replacing a pot with one of inferior quality just to have to repeat the process in a year or six months all over again. Plus, there are many benefits of using a top quality pot besides reliability. The tone will be much better and the controls will be useable due to proper tapers.
Dave, I'll talk to my friend and try convince him (beacause I know he is too cautious). Anyway, you convinced ME to replace my Alphas! LOL
What is the best way to mark the size of the new holes on the guitar before enlarge the old ones?

MATTM

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
You don't have to mark them. Just work slowly, enlarge it a bit, check it with a pot.

slapshot

Reaction score
Ever use CTS pots? Good CTS pots?
yes of course I have.
interesting idea.you don't happen to sell cts pots by any chance do you?
not to hijack with a defacto sales pitch or nothin but what exactly makes the controls more usable with a "cts" pot?
And why would you need to replace them in 6-12 months time?I know plenty of people who've had plenty of guitars who've had the same pots for over 30 years in their guitars quite at home with how they work,they're taper,reliability and sound.

I still stand by my original statement.

MATTM

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
yes of course I have.

interesting idea.you don't happen to sell cts pots by any chance do you?

not to hijack with a defacto sales pitch or nothin but what exactly makes the controls more usable with a "cts" pot?
And why would you need to replace them in 6-12 months time?I know plenty of people who've had plenty of guitars who've had the same pots for over 30 years in their guitars quite at home with how they work,they're taper,reliability and sound.

I still stand by my original statement.
You can stand by your original statement all you like. If you can't hear the difference, so be it. Thousands of people can. The taper is better, the resistance is better, and the construction and useful life is better.

But hey, what do we know or for that matter the 200 plus people we've built harnesses for in the last 6 months alone know...

Done being an ass now?

MATTM

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
OK Slapshot, explain to me and prove why AlPha pots are superior. This ought to be good. LOL

If they were, I would certainly be selling them.

12watt

Reaction score
He didn't say they were superior, just not junk. Please explain better resistance as it applies to a variable resistor please, I don't quite get what that means.

MATTM

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
He didn't say they were superior, just not junk. Please explain better resistance as it applies to a variable resistor please, I don't quite get what that means.
You are correct, he didn't say they were superior. That is true. What he is looking for is a argument by insinuating that we are pushing CTS because we sell them.
Guess what - We've had CTS, Bourns, MojoTones, WD's, Gibsons, Alphas etc...We've tried them all!! The CTS 550K's and CTS TVT's were the ones we settled on. I've personally been using CTS 550K's since first came out years ago.

Back to your question....

The resistance does matter. Do you want a pot that specs at 500k, but really meters at 430k because of poor tolerance thus choking off the pickups? Doubtful.

How about a pot that the taper drops off suddenly and acts more like an on/off switch? Doubtful.

That's why we use what we do...No hidden agenda (hear that SLAPSHOT)....Just truth.

MrRhoads

Reaction score
The Alpha´s which are the same size as the finest CTS pots sounds as good as CTS finest and i´ve tried them both.
Bourns have push-pulls to but i haven´t tried them so don´t know but i belive they´re good quality.

The Aplha´s that we´re original in my 1987 MIJ Fender Stratocaster worked fine until they we´re replaced in 2010 which makes about 23years and between 2004-2010 they didn´t change in "any" way.
Alpha´s and CTS did sound alot better thoug ;)

MrRhoads

Reaction score
Here´s how you enlarge the wholes by forum member Joneys :D
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRcImpgv_R4&feature=relmfu]Epi LP upgrades, opening up the holes in the body with a T Handled wood reamer .wmv - YouTube[/ame]
He also has some very nice pots to choose from and is very helpfull :)
Reach him at "jonesyblues@yahoo.com"

copperheadroad

Reaction score
I keep a few alpha pots around ,some customers just don't want to spend the extra $$$ to upgrade there imports ,The large size Alpha's are not bad
The small Alpha's are junk

My Les Paul Classifieds