Orianthi SJ-200 CS signature.

BadPenguin

Reaction score
Gee, that's new. Gibson putting out an artist signature guitar from someone no one has heard of. Yawn...

Dolebludger

Reaction score
Orianthi, regardless of her looks, is a good guitar player. However, she is known for playing PRS electrics, not Gibson acoustics. IMHO a big mistake was made when her PRS endorsement deal terminated in late 2012 or so. I am not saying that she can’t play acoustics well. She probably can. But that is not what she is known for.

wildhawk1

Reaction score
Orianthi, regardless of her looks, is a good guitar player. However, she is known for playing PRS electrics, not Gibson acoustics. IMHO a big mistake was made when her PRS endorsement deal terminated in late 2012 or so. I am not saying that she can’t play acoustics well. She probably can. But that is not what she is known for.
Agree. Hard to imagine Gibson couldn't think of a better person for a artist acoustic.

Roberteaux

Super Mod
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Back in 2009, Orianthi Panagaris did an audition tape for Michael Jackson-- at Jackson's request-- which was recorded before a live audience at USC. She played some species of Gibson acoustic for that performance.

If you don't want to hear her rambling introduction, skip to 2:11, which is when she begins to play and sing.

She plays acoustic guitar very well.

Jackson is said to met with her almost immediately after seeing the video. He really wanted a replacement for Jennifer Batten, and here she was: Orianthi, who could handle whatever he threw at her.

Elsewhere, I read that one of the first things he asked her is whether or not she could cover EVH's solo on "Beat It" as Steve Vai and Carlos Santana had both assured him she could.

And of course, she could. No matter what else might be said of her, the lady is a great guitar player. Here, Orianthi covered the solo while visiting some radio station about a decade ago...

One of the more amusing comments below this video is some guy saying that it's no big deal to play a solo note-for-note. I thought the comment was inane because Michael Jackson insisted that she play that solo without changing much of anything-- and so she merely did what she was paid to do, as requested.

Meanwhile, I couldn't cover that solo if my life depended on it. A lot of guitarists couldn't.

One thing I found striking is the change in her facial features. It appears as though she lost all that baby fat she sported back in 2009 through her years with Alice Cooper... but I haven't really seen any photos of her in a rather long time, and so was a bit surprised by her appearance.

--R

Dolebludger

Reaction score
Actually, good looks seem to be a requirement to get into the music biz — more so than talent! If that had been the case decades ago, we would never have heard of Roy Orbison or Buddy Holly.

Latest Threads